Future additions to Hopper/Joey

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Alright, let's help Echostar & Dish make some money by selling us something we might want.

The H/J system is open ended. It just screams for enhancements, what with plenty of CPU power and expandability (MoCA, USB, Ethernet). DLNA will open great possibilities. It can go way beyond simple TV services. What features/devices can we come up with to be added to H/J down the road? I'll start by listing a few:

-USB OTA, and seamless Hopper integration, which we already know are coming.
-Support for possible future OTA changes, such as potential enhancements to ATSC to include MPEG-4, Ultra HD, 3D next, etc.
-Combined receiver/router to provide Internet service (including e-mail) directly to the H/J and the rest of the house via satellite, cellular, WiMax, or similar. Eliminate the need for another ISP and maybe provide phone service too.
-Integration of a video game box to access via the H/J menu system (a stretch, but I'm trying to think outside of the box).
-Home monitoring and reporting and remote access. Alarms and controls.
-Personal health monitoring/reporting and emergency calls (I've fallen and can't get up).
-Improved VOD, BB@H and Dish online.
-USB and Bluetooth keyboard, mouse and printer support.
-USB camera support.
-More Apps - which ones? A Skype like service, social networking like FaceBook, Pandora, more games, functional delivery and take out orders to local restaurants or via national chains (last one, pizza, didn't work well-remember it?), fancy weather, more news options (including foreign), education related options, connections to library systems and ????

The beauty of it all is, Dish doesn't have to spend to develop these things. They can make deals with third party providers and just add menu links. Add a few of these to your service- and talk about sticky customers! The more I think about this, the more excited I get over the possibilities!

This Hopper/Joey system we see today isn't the final product. What would you like to see offered that you would want, or think would be of interest to others?

Thanks. But I'm hoping Dish is thinking along these lines, and has even more ideas, and is open to still more ideas.

I would like access to the PTAT folder with the option to delete unwanted content that won't go away (see post in other thread). We have a 1 hopper 1 Joey setup at the moment there have been times my wife is watch a recorded program in the living room (hopper) and I'm in the secondary (joey) working but would like to watch with her so to speak but all I get when I look at the tuners is what's live. It would be nice to allow everyone (eventually kids rooms) to join the watching of a recored show with everyone at the same time. Like if they were sick in bed or myself/wife working in office etc.

I would like access to the PTAT folder with the option to delete unwanted content that won't go away (see post in other thread). We have a 1 hopper 1 Joey setup at the moment there have been times my wife is watch a recorded program in the living room (hopper) and I'm in the secondary (joey) working but would like to watch with her so to speak but all I get when I look at the tuners is what's live. It would be nice to allow everyone (eventually kids rooms) to join the watching of a recored show with everyone at the same time. Like if they were sick in bed or myself/wife working in office etc.

On the Joey, rather than look at the tuners. look at the "my recordings" or "PTAT" menus and select the recording you want to watch.

I am very happy with the Hopper overall and loving the Home Media and Weather channel services. I would like to see pop up severe weather notifications from the Weather channel app (probably not possible but we are wish listing here right?) and more file type support from the home media app (like native AVI, WMA, and WMV support).

I am anxiously awaiting the promised Facebook and Pandora apps and hope to see more (and more useful) options there in the future. Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, and so on would be amazing but with Dish and Blockbuster now being one in the same I am sure that is not going to happen anytime soon.

How about a VIDEO IN option for home security. I need the Yellow Red, and Blank cables to work. They would need a USB adapter for it it.

I would want it to show up as a channel on the GUIDE. When someone came to the door I would switch to the DOOR channel.

How about a VIDEO IN option for home security. I need the Yellow Red, and Blank cables to work. They would need a USB adapter for it it.

I would want it to show up as a channel on the GUIDE. When someone came to the door I would switch to the DOOR channel.

This idea would really be great if it worked with the sling adapter so you could check on your house while you're away on vacation.

I would like to be able to have 4 or maybe 5 Joeys per Hopper and a Hopper that has a couple extra tuners (Maybe two Hoppers in a single unit)

That defeats the whole purpose of the system.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner
How so?
I think it would add to it.
You already have to have a box in the location, why not add an independent tuner and still let it have MRV capability.

No if you didnt have to have an actual box, I could see what you mean.

msmith198025 said:
How so?
I think it would add to it.
You already have to have a box in the location, why not add an independent tuner and still let it have MRV capability.

No if you didnt have to have an actual box, I could see what you mean.

Because the Joey is designed to be the little thin client box, and if they put a satellite tuner in it would add unnesacary bulk and it would need a hard drive to be able to pause live TV. What I would love to see is a 4 or even 6 tuner Hopper. Especially since the system is being advertised as a 4 TV solution.

Last edited:
Because the Joey is designed to be the little thin client box, and if they put a satellite tuner in it would add unnesacary bulk. What I would love to see is a 4 or even 6 tuner Hopper. Especially since the system is being advertised as a 4 TV solution.

not really much bulk

compare to the h25

h25
Size and Weight
? Height: 1.12 inches (28.5 mm)
? Width: 8.66 inches (220 mm)
? Depth: 5.75 inches (146 mm)
? Weight: 1.19 pounds

Q:
How big is the Joey?

A: 6.62" x 5.27" x 1.49", you can see further specs on our product specs sheet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)