Future of DBS television?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Probably so you can see them on a phone or tablet.
Not in the instances I gave. Those are the STB apps, the phone or tablet apps have guides that look different, at least on YTTV and Hulu
Youtube tv

108f9ed1970c1ebf551ed64c58d41f77

Hulu live
portrait-player.jpg

Directv Now

DirecTV-NOW-iPhone-.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-28_11-20-24.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-28_11-20-24.jpeg
    9.8 KB · Views: 79
  • upload_2018-8-28_11-21-38.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-28_11-21-38.jpeg
    7.8 KB · Views: 85
Right, so cater to the lowest common denominator instead of creating a dynamic interface based on resolution. Just another reason streaming isn't ready to compete with linear TV. Price is the only advantage at the moment.
I think it is because there are several other ways to discover what is on within these apps, and the guides were added as a compliment, rather than the main method of getting to your content.

Hell, Hulu did not even offer one at first, nor did sling.

The others have tweaked theirs.

Reactions: HipKat
So then they have no good reason.
My comment right above this explains my opinion on why, and Hulu basically said as much, but their redesign was so far different than what they had before, alot of people balked, so they made the guide as an addition.

My comment right above this explains my opinion on why, and Hulu basically said as much, but their redesign was so far different than what they had before, alot of people balked, so they made the guide as an addition.

Like I said, no good reason. :)

Reactions: TheKrell
So then, back to my original question. :)
That I can not answer.

Originally I would have liked to have had more info available, but as I have used them more, it seems cleaner and less cluttered. I dont mind it at all.

But that is just me.

I think these services are more about what is on now or next, and they expect you to specify your favorite channels, so they probably don't expect people to want a full 20 channel x 6 hour guide.

My comment/question was more rhetorical, as all interfaces are trending this way to a freakishly comical, oversized interface...computer OSes, websites, etc. When Windows Server 2012 came out, I laughed hysterically, then I cried.

Last edited:
directv tried a smaller font
people complained, they made it larger
You don't need a smaller font, just less empty real estate around it. The fonts in the pictures posted above aren't big, just that twice as much information could fit in the empty spaces.

Reactions: pattykay
Notice I said "streaming only"

I have Prime Video as it is included with other services we use (free shipping). I have watched/downloaded content from Prime, but there is not enough content for me to justify paying for just the streaming part of it. And I wouldn't use it at all if I couldn't use PlayOn to download for offline viewing, just like I can use a DVR to "download" for anytime viewing with linear TV.

Since I had Netflix for years, both streaming and discs, I do find more variety that Netflix does not have.. Especially for older movies and TV series..

Right, so cater to the lowest common denominator instead of creating a dynamic interface based on resolution. Just another reason streaming isn't ready to compete with linear TV. Price is the only advantage at the moment.
Resolution is better than HD on a newer phone, size is not equal to resolution.

Dynamic interface would need to information on the physical size of your device and then scale accordingly.

Have you tried or do you currently use DTV Now? If yes, do you recommend them? I'm considering giving them a shot.
I have several times. It has the potential to be one of if not the best service, but the stability for me was the kicker.

Youtube tv and PS Vue are the two I had that gave me the least amount of issues with buffering. You might get it occasionally (about once every month or so for me), but with those two I got it less than i got rain fade with Dish or Directv if that puts it in perspective, and I can not rule out those times might have been network related on my end.

Hulu was pretty stable as well, and I would have no issue recommending it for a traditional tv replacement option.

Sling, I just generally did not like the UI all that much, and big events when I had it would make it crash. I am sure it has gotten better.

Directv Now......when it first came out, it was unusable for me. Even if it would have been free, I wouldnt have kept it, it would buffer constantly.
Tried it again several months later, and while improved, it still lagged behind the others. It is about time to give it another try.

Reactions: LQQK
Resolution is better than HD on a newer phone, size is not equal to resolution.

Dynamic interface would need to information on the physical size of your device and then scale accordingly.
I figured resolution was a poor choice of words, but most device types can be derived (phone, tablet, computer, streaming stick, smart tv, etc.) and adjusted to accordingly. To not do so and just treat all the same is just lazy or cheap programming.

I must be an exception to the rule. Dish Top 250/HBO/Dish Movie Pack and 1Gb/s Fiber Optic Internet w/subs to Netflix, YouTube Premium & Amazon Prime

I am going to be the same way. Our electric co-op has ran gigabit fiber here, should be available in about three months or so. I’m not getting rid of my Dish service either. I also have Amazon Prime and Netflix, and Hulu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)