Future of DBS television?

It goes nowhere because Dish kept pushing out the arrival time of my tech until after 6PM. I rescheduled due to my vacation the next day. :D That was two weeks ago.
Wow, when you said rescheduled, I thought you meant for a week or so.

On another site, a discussion about the lack of 4K content kinda turned towards streaming Pros & Cons...This is one person's post I found interesting (I asked if I could share)

While I'm technically savvy enough to manage a life of apps there's no way my wife and family could nor would I want such inconvenience. They are your typical channel surfers and there's no way they'd accept navigating through 50 different apps each with 50 different user interfaces and each requiring 50 sign on's that won't stick and each choking on 50 different ways to generate a stream.

Apps like Netflix have a great UI, apps like HBO prioritize style over ease of use, the PBS app is a cluster, and the AMC app forces you to sit through commercials with no way to skip over them. It's a dog's breakfast. Chaos.

It's a shame that the life of 4K TV is a compromise. Those who seek out 4K content are limited to drone videos of Hawaii and stale movies on apps that are inconsistent to use and those who just want to watch a live football game have a smooth and speedy cable UI but have to live with artifacts that were never visible on their 1080p panels. The lesser of the two evils is clearly cable/satellite TV...I couldn't imagine a cord-cut world where I have to wait 30 seconds for a buffer to provide a clear stream and an app that stops working 5 minutes into a program and prompts for a password every other week. What a farce. The next time someone says how cable operators are evil and should be punished through financial protest I'll just laugh. Turns out its the app developers who need the wake-up call for what they put their users through.

I pay $80 per month to Cox for 50mbps internet, but only pay Dish $49 per month for the Welcome pack and Movie Pack. So, then I would have to pay $15 for netflix and etc. So how is internet cheaper or better?

I pay $80 per month to Cox for 50mbps internet, but only pay Dish $49 per month for the Welcome pack and Movie Pack. So, then I would have to pay $15 for netflix and etc. So how is internet cheaper or better?

My bet would be people who have really fast internet and are also looking for affordably priced TV don’t have internet & Dish. They’d have internet and Netflix and maybe YTTV or some other skinny bundle.

I have 50 Mb internet from Cox for $53.18/month.
I live in a mobile home park where cox TV Is required under a master contract.
I live in a valley with NO OTA reception.
I attempted to switch to TIVO a couple years ago but the antique Cox interface boxes seldom worked right and I decided it just wasn't worth it.
I have been with Dish almost 20 years. I like my H3 and my wife is finally learning to switch from Dish to Cox and back. I don;t see going anywhere any time soon, but I do keep my eyes open.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
My bet would be people who have really fast internet and are also looking for affordably priced TV don’t have internet & Dish. They’d have internet and Netflix and maybe YTTV or some other skinny bundle.
I must be an exception to the rule. Dish Top 250/HBO/Dish Movie Pack and 1Gb/s Fiber Optic Internet w/subs to Netflix, YouTube Premium & Amazon Prime

I have a routine. I get up, go to work, come home from work, watch what was recorded on the DVR the previous night. I don’t binge shows, I don’t stack up entire seasons of shows and watch them at once. Watch then delete that's how I roll. Watching the same shows, with the same characters in the same situations over and over is boring to me. Right now as with 98% of the time, all four DVRs sit completely empty.

I’m not interested at all in the On Demand style of streaming like Netflix and Amazon have. Contentwise, I have found hardly anything of value on Netflix or Prime Video. I did Netflix free trials throughout the years to verify that I wasn’t missing anything. Now as a T-Mobile subscriber, I get it for ‘free’ but I’d rather not have it and receive a break on my bill. Netflix is useless to me. I watch Stranger Things, Fuller House and a few conspiracy and paranormal shows. I went over 6 months without touching Netflix. Prime Video is more useless to me. Found nothing on it that sparks my interest except for a few reruns of Chuck. If I could I’d keep Amazon Prime at $99 and give up Prime Video, I would in a heartbeat.

The post above hit the nail one the head. I’m a fairly tech savvy guy, but I have no desire to fart around between a dozen apps, deal with bugs of a dozen apps, deal with constantly changing UIs of a dozen different apps, login into to a dozen apps, maintain subscriptions for all of these services. This is just TV, it shouldn’t be that much of a hassle. Cable and satellite work great for me. Step 1 turn on TV and set top box. Step 2 press channel up or down button.

All OTA TV signals could go away tomorrow and I wouldn’t even notice or care. OTA TV has almost nothing I care about besides Blood Bloods and NASCAR. Generally, primetime content on ABC. NBC, CBS, FOX, et al is just plain terrible, I mean it’s really, really bad. Chicago This, NCIS that, watching fake reality shows of people in a house with cameras or some fake Survivor crap. I don’t need it.

I’m a TV geek with Spectrum TV Gold, two WorldBox 4 tuner DVRs and DirecTV Premier with a HR24 and HR44. And recently 1 Gbps internet, and I have no desire to ever stream any video content, because all the video content I could ever dream of and care about is on cable and satellite and I can watch it ASAP, not wait an eon or two for Netflix to get it, and then have then get rights to a season or two.

Streaming video, don’t need it, don’t want it.

Hmm, I'll have top look into Vue. I just always thought it was PS only, not that I really put a whole lot of thought into it
Yeah as I've said many times, terrible branding.

Several of the others offer the same as well. OTT streaming obviously offers options that you never knew about

“...also looking for affordably...”

Well, I have 50/50 ( or is it 75/75?) Internet. I could get 100/100 for I think $5/month more. I see no need for it. I stream a bit. But mostly I’m Dish.

One interface. One EPG. DVR. Redundancy thru two HWSes. More stuff than I’ll ever live to watch.

I also have a couple CM DVR+ units, one at our RV. I have a couple ROKU units. I have ROKU built in to a couple TVs and a DVR/BD/UHD player.

I have several EHDs, including, IIRC, three RAID array EHDs. And hundreds of DVDs and BDs, probably half of which are unwatched and still sealed in plastic (may the inventor of which be condemned to Hell where three kids are screaming at him to unwrap their toys, and he has no sharp objects). And one UHD BD.

I am on vacation now, using DA via Fire stick. It works so well over the hotel Wi-Fi (thank you, La Quinta) as I haven’t even set up the HopperGO. Reliability that I believe exceeds the imitators.

It’s VALUE. Not just cheap. Cheap is an OTA cheapie antenna and trips to the library to check out free DVDs.

Affordable is in the eye of the beholder.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Lets see the true cost of streaming first. Streaming is slowing becoming like traditional with cloud DVRs and locals now included. Difference is being online and more of an on demand service. But lets see how much packages rise and how much internet costs rise before we accept it's less expensive. It's less expensive now....

Sent from my KFDOWI using the SatelliteGuys app!

I have a routine. I get up, go to work, come home from work, watch what was recorded on the DVR the previous night. I don’t binge shows, I don’t stack up entire seasons of shows and watch them at once. Watch then delete that's how I roll. Watching the same shows, with the same characters in the same situations over and over is boring to me. Right now as with 98% of the time, all four DVRs sit completely empty.

I’m not interested at all in the On Demand style of streaming like Netflix and Amazon have. Contentwise, I have found hardly anything of value on Netflix or Prime Video. I did Netflix free trials throughout the years to verify that I wasn’t missing anything. Now as a T-Mobile subscriber, I get it for ‘free’ but I’d rather not have it and receive a break on my bill. Netflix is useless to me. I watch Stranger Things, Fuller House and a few conspiracy and paranormal shows. I went over 6 months without touching Netflix. Prime Video is more useless to me. Found nothing on it that sparks my interest except for a few reruns of Chuck. If I could I’d keep Amazon Prime at $99 and give up Prime Video, I would in a heartbeat.

The post above hit the nail one the head. I’m a fairly tech savvy guy, but I have no desire to fart around between a dozen apps, deal with bugs of a dozen apps, deal with constantly changing UIs of a dozen different apps, login into to a dozen apps, maintain subscriptions for all of these services. This is just TV, it shouldn’t be that much of a hassle. Cable and satellite work great for me. Step 1 turn on TV and set top box. Step 2 press channel up or down button.

All OTA TV signals could go away tomorrow and I wouldn’t even notice or care. OTA TV has almost nothing I care about besides Blood Bloods and NASCAR. Generally, primetime content on ABC. NBC, CBS, FOX, et al is just plain terrible, I mean it’s really, really bad. Chicago This, NCIS that, watching fake reality shows of people in a house with cameras or some fake Survivor crap. I don’t need it.

I’m a TV geek with Spectrum TV Gold, two WorldBox 4 tuner DVRs and DirecTV Premier with a HR24 and HR44. And recently 1 Gbps internet, and I have no desire to ever stream any video content, because all the video content I could ever dream of and care about is on cable and satellite and I can watch it ASAP, not wait an eon or two for Netflix to get it, and then have then get rights to a season or two.

Streaming video, don’t need it, don’t want it.

I feel almost exactly the opposite about streaming, but agree with you on primetime network TV. I find less and less content of value on non-premium cable channels. When I do find something (e.g. The Expanse), it is only the richest person in the US who can save it from cancellation, and then only on the Internet. If you take away HBO, Showtime, and Starz, we watch very little that is on Dish -- with network TV viewing being minimal other than local news and a small handful of shows and even less that is on basic cable channels. The OnDemand nature of streaming coupled with the lack of commercials (don't even have to skip ahead), make the experience much preferable to me. That said, I agree that it shouldn't be a hassle. I do not find the small handful of apps, most of which are very reliable, to be any sort of hassle. I even showed Hulu to my 79-year-old mom last weekend for the first time, and she had it figured out in no time.

I have fast-ish Internet, and I have access to gigabit. 100/100 fiber costs me $50/month. 1000/1000 (or 940/940) would cost me $70/month. I have Dish, Netflix, Hulu, and Prime Video. Just because I have fast Internet, doesn't mean I don't have a use for Dish, but most of what we watch is not on Dish these days. Dish is just the best, most affordable solution to get local news, and a few other things right now.

I've never subscribed to the concept of "on demand" as you can't record it for later, own it, and you are at the mercy of the content owner for its availability. PlayOn is one solution for some services, however.

Reactions: TheKrell and Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts