Future of DBS television?

I cut the cord for two years. I had a Tivo Roamio OTA & Minis + Netflix, Hulu, and Prime. I would sub to HBO Now now and then. It was fine on my 24Mb vDSL2 connection which was super-reliable. I saved about $1000 over those two years on entertainment, but it wasn't all good.

I chose to return to satellite because of the Rovi purchase of Tivo. I also saw the OTA repack coming, and didn't want to fight to get VHF signals at my house. Since then, I moved, and now I would struggle even more to get those OTA signals without a large, unsightly antenna on the roof. Dish provides me with what I want from a linear TV service for not a lot of money, relatively speaking. I will never do cable again, but would consider IPTV since I have a nice, fast fiber connection. If there was either a good cloud DVR as I described above, or Dish Anywhere-like functionality available from AT&T Uverse for around the same price as Dish, I'd consider switching.

I cut the cord for two years. I had a Tivo Roamio OTA & Minis + Netflix, Hulu, and Prime. I would sub to HBO Now now and then. It was fine on my 24Mb vDSL2 connection which was super-reliable. I saved about $1000 over those two years on entertainment, but it wasn't all good.

I chose to return to satellite because of the Rovi purchase of Tivo. I also saw the OTA repack coming, and didn't want to fight to get VHF signals at my house. Since then, I moved, and now I would struggle even more to get those OTA signals without a large, unsightly antenna on the roof. Dish provides me with what I want from a linear TV service for not a lot of money, relatively speaking. I will never do cable again, but would consider IPTV since I have a nice, fast fiber connection. If there was either a good cloud DVR as I described above, or Dish Anywhere-like functionality available from AT&T Uverse for around the same price as Dish, I'd consider switching.
Unless cable comes out with a DVR like the superior Hopper 3, I would never consider switching from DISH.

Unless cable comes out with a DVR like the superior Hopper 3, I would never consider switching from DISH.

Agreed in general. For OTA-only, I found the Roamio to be adequate. With the addition of the Stream, we were able to download content for offline viewing, even if we were already out of town. Of course, I understand the new software has broken a few things along the way. The Tivo Mini trick-play and UI performance was excellent compared to all other client boxes I've used. The Joey 3 might be as good -- dunno as I haven't had the opportunity to try one.

I agree. I also have the minimum package TV Choice with Charter Spectrum TV streaming so I can get Fox News Go access, Fox Business Go access, access to a couple other apps, and get a couple channels in HD that I can’t get in HD with Dish Network. (I had a choice of ten channels from a select list.) Otherwise I love Dish Network all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I posted before I use my new TABLO dvr for my ota channels and for my version of Primetime anytime over my Roku stick. It works well and it gives me full guide information for all my channels and sub channels. I have my hopper3 and 4k joey for my living room and master bedroom. I use Roku sticks and Amazon fire sticks on the other tvs. This gives me access to Tablo app and DISH anywhere on any of my 4 tvs. I only sub to Flex pack and News pack and HBO till the special drops off 9/30. I still resent paying for the $15.00 dvr fee and use the 2 year price deals to lock in my price and get so much off my monthly bill. I wish that the locals wouldn't be pushing to get more money every year as it has pushed the price of locals to $12.00 a month. I just can't see paying $12.00 for something I can get for free ota. I am glad DISH finally allowed us the option to drop them to save money. Once my price lock ends in December I hope to get another 2 year price lock if I can. After 22 years come January, I am more than used to DISH and would like to keep it if I can. But if the new deal isn't up to snuff I might have to just add Sling tv in place of DISH as it would cut my bill down to about $60.00 with no real fees other than the $5.00 dvr fee. But the dvr cloud is small and my wife would use up the 50 hours in no time flat on HGTV and DIY shows. I wish that Sling tv would go up to 100 hours on their cloud dvr then I might make the switch.

Idea for Dish (although they probably have already thought of it): Hopper Duo (and Joeys as clients) with only locals (but maybe more locals, like sub-channels), and then a Sling subscription for the "cable" channels, for those of us who have good internet access, but not good OTA reception.

The DBS market in the future will be Rural and/or Power Viewers. The Rural viewers won’t have a choice and the Power Viewers, like JSheridan, won’t want one :)
FWIW my point was that the value of Dish/DTV is greatest when there are few/no alternatives. So in an “end game” for sat TV, those would likely be the “last” customers. It seems to me that they would be…
1 - Rural users with few/no alternatives for TV.
2 - Power users with multiple viewers and/or techno-savy viewers who take advantage of the hardware & DVR (e.g. Hopper 3)
3 - Users who are happy as it is and simply don’t want to change (e.g. switch to and/or add streaming).

BTW we are retired rural Dish users with NO alternative for local channels - so we sub to the Welcome pack. We have limited 4Mb/sec WISP internet - but we stream 2-3 hours/evening anyway.

What are these problems?
How do you watch live local broadcasts if you're streaming? Or live sports?? I mean, I know there are sites where you can stream live sports, but they generally suck. I think Yahoo stopped streaming NFL Games because it was just terrible

Reactions: charlesrshell
How do you watch live local broadcasts if you're streaming? Or live sports?? I mean, I know there are sites where you can stream live sports, but they generally suck. I think Yahoo stopped streaming NFL Games because it was just terrible

I have Vue, I get all my locals, Fox Sports Detroit, Big Ten, ESPN, etc all live, been that way for more then a year now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts