Future Proof - max # RG-6 lines to EA dish?

david_jr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 7, 2007
Hancock, MA - The Berkshires
Currently have roof mounted EA dish with VIP722 and VIP612. Right now there are two RG-6 lines coming in the house, into the attic through an outside wall and split out to the two receivers from there. I am having my attic blown with insulation and the tech said that now is the time to do any wiring I may need done for the future. If I add a receiver or two in the future will this require anymore lines out up to the dish on the roof?

Yes. 3 coax lines are required from that dish either feeding 3 receivers, or as inputs to a DPP44 which can then feed 4 receivers. The DPP44 has 4 feedthrough ports to cascade up to 3 DPP44 switches feeding as many as 12 dual tuner receivers.

Depending on how much time you have or what your needs are I would run at least 2 more lines (total of 4) but would suggest 3 more (total of 5). This is so if you ever need a wing dish or if there is every a bad line you dont have to go threw the hassle of running more lines.

You could also lay down PVC pipes/conduit and fish the wires later if needed. When I built my house, I ran two 3" PVC pipes from the basement to the attic for future needs. Just a thought. Its easy enough to cut and glue, especially when you aren't running water through them. :)

Regular 1" pvc is pretty cheap at lowes, or you could go with something like the 3" conduit.

Shop CANTEX 3" PVC 10'L Conduit at Lowes.com

I also highly recommend the pvc pipe. This is the best way to future proof as you can run anything you want wherever you run that pvc pipe.

Who needs blown-in insulation when I bet a whole triple-layer of pvc pipes would provide better insulation AND give you all the future proofing you would ever need. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)