Future receviers

P

phillycreamboy

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 9, 2006
40
0
I was wondering if there was any buzz about new receivers coming in the near future.
 
Stargazer

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
16,565
340
Western WV
What we may be able to expect in the future is the following: view/share recordings in any room of the house, all rooms share the same hard drive, television shows/movies on demand will become more popular, more hard drive capacity, additional store solutions (already launched on the 622).
 
codee

codee

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 3, 2005
97
0
Twin Cities, MN
Stargazer said:
What we may be able to expect in the future is the following: view/share recordings in any room of the house, all rooms share the same hard drive, television shows/movies on demand will become more popular, more hard drive capacity, additional store solutions (already launched on the 622).

My ultimate wish would be to be able to watch stuff from the 622, on the other 211s on the house in HD over the LAN. The 622 is back-fed into my in-home coax distribution system, but that is just SD and looks bad compared to HD on the other Plasma and LCD tvs. I was looking for a sling-box type device, but it seems nothing really does HD, unless you have a media center PC, and extenders (which I do) but it doesn't work with Dish as far as I can see.

Oh well, the 622 is bet best solution for now, Comcast nor D* have any better options. *sigh*
 
Van

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
9,326
10
Virginia Beach
Rumours still going around and has some substance to it, a quad reciever is one that I hope to see come to fruition.
 
navychop

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
54,852
20,207
Northern VA
"Future" receiver?

I'd like to see a little future on the ones I have now- ViP622, 721 & 508.

I'd like to be able to plug into VOIP or the internet and not have a land line when I move next month. Let all the receivers communicate with each other and use the one link. Dish Comm, anyone?
 
P

Phoenix1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 11, 2006
193
0
TX
navychop said:
"Future" receiver?
I'd like to be able to plug into VOIP or the internet and not have a land line when I move next month. Let all the receivers communicate with each other and use the one link. Dish Comm, anyone?
Dish Comm is certainly capable of doing this. It's just a HomePlug IC inside your set top box. You'd need a HomePlug adapter plugged into your router and of course software from E* to turn the Dish Comm circuitry on inside your set top box.
 
lakebum431

lakebum431

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
16,711
4,525
Norris, TN
You can use VOIP already. I think you just need an adapter. Someone who has done it can chime in on that.
 
Last edited:
KyDave

KyDave

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 3, 2003
675
7
Kentucky
There was a vip222 shown at CES (Scott posted pictures) - it is a dual tuner mpeg4 receiver (not DVR). The last I ever read about it was that it was supposed to be released around July.
 
lakebum431

lakebum431

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
16,711
4,525
Norris, TN
I thought that release got pushed back to Fall, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.
 
Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
101,104
21,308
Newington, CT
Phoenix1 said:
Dish Comm is certainly capable of doing this. It's just a HomePlug IC inside your set top box. You'd need a HomePlug adapter plugged into your router and of course software from E* to turn the Dish Comm circuitry on inside your set top box.

I believe we will be hearing about DishCOMM this June. :D
 
navychop

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
54,852
20,207
Northern VA
I hope you're right, Scott.

My ISP stated some combinations of adapters and Dish boxes may work, but the odds are against it and they recommend against it. Something about there are always a few lost packets. OK for voice, but.....

I will be installing a dedicated line for DSL (14,410' from CO), and after that is set up and works OK, I'd love to get their VOIP pkg- it's less than $28. It includes free long distance and free international calls to something like 27 countries. And caller ID, call forwarding, and stuff I've never heard of. The only reason I'm keeping a land line is for Dish. So if we get this VOIP/Dish Comm going good, for all 3 of my receivers, I can drop Verizon and go VOIP and cell, pay less and get more.

Yes, Dish, please bring it on. And support my older units too.
 
Stargazer

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
16,565
340
Western WV
I'd never keep a landline just for Dish. I would drop Dish and get a service that would not require one first. I thought the VOIP services worked with Dish now.
 
Frostwolf

Frostwolf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 5, 2005
190
1
To use VoIP, I set *99 in prefix and set wireless mode on my 508. Also set quality to 90k on Vonage.

Good luck
 
kvhollis

kvhollis

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
254
0
Grand Rapids, MI
codee said:
My ultimate wish would be to be able to watch stuff from the 622, on the other 211s on the house in HD over the LAN. The 622 is back-fed into my in-home coax distribution system, but that is just SD and looks bad compared to HD on the other Plasma and LCD tvs. I was looking for a sling-box type device, but it seems nothing really does HD, unless you have a media center PC, and extenders (which I do) but it doesn't work with Dish as far as I can see.

Has anyone ever gotten a XP Media Center PC to work with Dish?
 
O

OoTLink

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 25, 2005
731
0
Vonage + RTP300 works for me on my 322s, and will handle most dialup sorta things, so I think it'd work :)
 
P

Phoenix1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 11, 2006
193
0
TX
codee said:
My ultimate wish would be to be able to watch stuff from the 622, on the other 211s on the house in HD over the LAN.
I can tell you that both E* and D* are working on this. It's likely going to require new hardware.
 
navychop

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
54,852
20,207
Northern VA
"... Has anyone ever gotten a XP Media Center PC to work with Dish?..."

Not without feeding it from a Dish STB.
 

Similar threads

B
Replies
30
Views
2K
Jim5506
Jim5506
spacenerd
Replies
33
Views
2K
docdaddy
D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Top