Future Terrorist Target - New Orleans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom in TX

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 27, 2004
I was watching the coverage about how they need to fix the breaches in the levees, so they can begin pumping the city, then begin rebuilding. It may have been mentioned elsewhere, I don't know, but it seems like it may be futile. How easy will it be for terrorists to blow 3-4 holes along any number of levees to inundate the city? No way to patrol that many miles of levees. Not too hard to blow through the steel/concrete walls enough to let the force of the water in. I'm sure the radical leaders see the utter destruction it can bring. Severe financial drain on the whole country can be caused by a few well-placed bombs. Any ideas on this?
Tom in TX

dragontat002

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 16, 2005
TN/GA Border
i agree, right now New orleans is definetly vunerable. Dealing with the threat of an attack possibly happening, as well as the looting going on, I'm just keeping them in my prayers and hoping the country can ban together and work through all this. These are extremlely Dire times

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
It was brought up in one of the shows on msnbc but only briefly, I have to wonder why it hadnt been hit already considering the amount of manufacturing and production that takes place down there that isnt even related to the oil industry and not to mention the shipping. I guess that I should feel confident that since 9/11 that our goverment has stepped up to the plate and homeland security has been doing its job.

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
i heard an interesting take on this from a guy at work today... "embrace the water", rebuild at the water level similar to Venice, Italy... would definitely be positive for tourism.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
I wonder to wether it would be more cost effective both short term and long term to back fill all of NOLA that sits below sea level to say 5 foot above and then rebuild. Ive never liked the idea of a city that sits below sea level and is sinking a little bit each year, I think its a serious question for the goverment and all private sector business associated with the disaster.

Purogamer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jul 19, 2005
Mentor, Ohio
Well, i'm sure they'd have rather not had to deal with it right now...let alone deal with it in real time...

However, why on earth would terrorists go down there, fight through the military and mobs of insane people, to blow more holes in the walls? It'd be like flying a plane into the WTC rubble days after 9/11...Makes no sense at all. N.O. is ruined, some more water isn't going to do anything...

Terrorists are going to stay right where they are and keep what they were doing. Not like anyone's throwing them out of the country or monitoring them...

Tom in TX

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 27, 2004
Purogamer said:
However, why on earth would terrorists go down there, fight through the military and mobs of insane people, to blow more holes in the walls? It'd be like flying a plane into the WTC rubble days after 9/11...Makes no sense at all. N.O. is ruined, some more water isn't going to do anything...
I meant AFTER it is rebuilt. Wait for the billions to be spent, refineries restored, etc. and THEN blow new holes.
Tom in TX

raymo721

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 26, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
I just hope that when the plans to rebuild are finalized that this is an issue thats included in those plans. To blow holes large enough and and the number holes blown to be effective would take a large and very well coorordinated operation that IMHO the terrorists are not capable of doing, yet. Operative word being...yet.--Ray

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
You might be surprised at how capable they could be at blowing a hole in a levy with nothing more than a small boat or a van loaded down with home made fertilizer bombs.

There is more than refineries down there, nola is the second largest shipping port in the country, it is also home to many chemical producing companies for products such as plastic, soaps, cosmetics just to name a few. Tourism is a big part of the area specialy with mardigras at the begining of the year, theres also fishing, natural gas, and produce from the region.

Tom in TX

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 27, 2004
raymo721 said:
To blow holes large enough and and the number holes blown to be effective would take a large and very well coorordinated operation that IMHO the terrorists are not capable of doing, yet. Operative word being...yet.--Ray
I respectfully disagree. I would be far easier to get there suicide "boaters", loaded with explosive, to blow three holes in that 17th street canal levee, than it was to coordinate hijacking, and then flying multiple aircraft into multiple locations, like 9/11.
If Timothy Mcveigh, or whoever, could blow up that building in OKC, with such force, some one could relatively easily load several boats with enough to do the job. Or even in trucks, on the land side of the levees.
Tom in TX

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
Terrorists could be learning which areas are more vulnerable and the effects on us if certian areas are affected and could use that in the future against us.

Purogamer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jul 19, 2005
Mentor, Ohio
I think some of you guys give terrorists too much credit. When have they EVER pulled off anything that you saw as highly educated? They strap explosives to their chests for christ's sake...

The solution for the future isn't to figure out to how to stop attacks or build indestructable walls, it's to have a "Get in and fix it quick" plan to limit damage in any situation.

raymo721

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 26, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
I still stand on my previous post and thank you Purogamer for your comments. We need to think of ways as Purogamer said to limit damage instead of giving these guys ideas in local news broadcast etc. Hey, what if they did this or that is just giving them things they haven't thought of yet. When ABC or whoever it was snuck some low grade radio active material into the US and then told the world how they did it must have had Homeland Security and the Military wringing their hands in frustration. I know some of you are gonna flame me about Free speach, Freedom of information and freedom of the press, but sometmes less is better in situations like this. --Ray

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
I see the inteligence behind terrotist atacks that use suicide bombers to destroy and maim and terrorize. The true terrorist isnt the suicide bomber blowing himself up along with innocent people and buildings, its the mastermind behind the atacks, the person who will never blow himself up in the name of what ever cause he is standing behind. People like osama arent foolish enough to think that taking theyr own lives will net them 40 virgins in an after life, osama an zurcowi ( excuse the spelling ) are educated men that know how to talk to less educated and poor just like hitler did and brainwash them into believing an old line in the koran.

Osama will never blow himself up, neither will zurcowi, they will continue to recruit the poor and uneducated and angry young men to do theyr bidding and blow themselves up for something that no one knows to exist all because these men want to destroy and kill and create anarchy.

raymo721

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 26, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
Van, Man you hit the nail on the head! I would love to be a fly on the wall if those two are ever captured and see how they act with rounds flying all around them!--Ray

stone phillips420

On Vacation
Oct 20, 2004
earth
Van said:
You must have ment Direct tv,
no actually i meant dish, WOW he added NFL net + HD early, big deal
Wheres the other sports net that have been lacking almost since beginning of time?
cstv, yes + hd, espnu, and why not fox college sports + hd, how about nhl network as well
he does one one favor by adding nfl early although by not adding the rest of missing sports nets it a slap in the face not to mention a kick in the balls.
US dvr owners out there specifically 721, 921, and 5XX series wheres is the NBR, i know he's bought himself a little more time on this project the clock is ticking
I've talked to people in executive offices about my concerns, they could care less.
My main frustration with this assbackwards company seems to be their mission statement
Tell customer what ever they want to hear to get them off the phone, lie at all costs.
DISH you still sux and will FOREVER until you decide to treat every customer with the respect that they deserve

Slamminc11

Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 28, 2005
stone phillips420 said:
Wheres the other sports net that have been lacking almost since beginning of time?
cstv, yes + hd, espnu, and why not fox college sports + hd, how about nhl network as well
he does one one favor by adding nfl early although by not adding the rest of missing sports nets it a slap in the face not to mention a kick in the balls.
US dvr owners out there specifically 721, 921, and 5XX series wheres is the NBR, i know he's bought himself a little more time on this project the clock is ticking
I've talked to people in executive offices about my concerns, they could care less.
My main frustration with this assbackwards company seems to be their mission statement
Tell customer what ever they want to hear to get them off the phone, lie at all costs.
DISH you still sux and will FOREVER until you decide to treat every customer with the respect that they deserve

People like you make me want to increase my dish package. If you don't like it, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE![/ You sound like Pat Robertson and the like. "Still sux" in my opinion they never did. Do they carry channels that I would like to have? Sure. But then again the others don't carry channels that I would like to have as well. Best I can tell you is to just climb back in you hole and dump your dish account and go with someone else, I'm sure they won't miss you! Then again, neither would I.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
stone phillips420 said:

Listen, no one is making you take dish network service, if you dont like it then you dont have to take theyr service. Why does it eat at you so much that they dont run the company or produce the equipment and impliment software the way you think it should be? So what if you've talked to one or two flunkies in an executive office, are they supposed to impliment changes everytime some ticked off person calls them up cranking about how this should be done and that should be changed? Its not going to happen, for any change to take place in any company it takes more than one complaint, heck it takes thousands of similiar complaints about an issue before its looked into. And as for the mission statement, all companies have the same unofficial statement of "lets make money how ever we can", making money in this country is what makes this country both great and horrible.

Oh and if you want nfl then get direct for its sunday ticket and be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)