Future use for Voom dish

Alto101

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 15, 2005
Louisville, KY
I thought that this had already been posted, but I can't seem to find the thread anymore.

Anyway, I am having Dish installed next week and wish to keep my Voom dish in place in case Dish decides to use the Voom satellite at 61.5 for HD in the future - hopefully Voom 21 programming:)

What does the Dish installer need to do to connect the Voom satellite to my Dish setup? I will still be using my OTA antenna which is currently tied into my coax runs for Voom with a diplexer. I remember reading that the Voom LNB will need to be switched to work with Dish service, which LNB do I need?
I am not familiar with the technical side of satellite services, but I know there is a device that allows multiple dishes aimed at different locations to be hooked up together, what is that called, and which model will work for combining the Dish satellite and Voom satellite together prior to my coax runs branching out?

Another reason I am going to keep the Voom satellite installed even if it is never used again is that it will always be a reminder of what used to be. Even on their deathbed, they still managed to improve the PQ almost to the point of how great it was prior to the encoder change. I will miss Voom and I am keeping my fingers crossed that Voom will not die, but merely morph into another form :D

Keep the dish pointed at 61.5*. The Dish HD demo loop is there on 61.5 and the foreign channels. Some of the channels are in the clear. The installer can set you up to see the channels at 61.5 with a switch array.

Indy said:
Keep the dish pointed at 61.5*. The Dish HD demo loop is there on 61.5 and the foreign channels. Some of the channels are in the clear. The installer can set you up to see the channels at 61.5 with a switch array.

Is their a website with an example of a switch array so I can see what one looks like/sells for? Will the installer provide this free of charge?

Indy said:

So are you saying that if I take one of my extra Dish Receivers and connect it to the Voom dish, I will be able to see what dish is up to? After April 30th of coarse.

ptech said:
So are you saying that if I take one of my extra Dish Receivers and connect it to the Voom dish, I will be able to see what dish is up to? After April 30th of coarse.

You can see it now. Just take the lnb from the Voom stb and hook it up to the Dish stb. The channels will load from the Dish 61.5 sat.

Alto101 said:
Is their a website with an example of a switch array so I can see what one looks like/sells for? Will the installer provide this free of charge?

You may have to subscrbe to Aljezera or something for a day for them to hook it up for free. Or you can cascade a sw21 switch off one receiver before the switch they provide for you and the receiver will configure the proper software to run it on the Check Switch menu.

You can also use it for FTA

You can also use your dish for FTA purposes (Free to Air). Basically, you can buy a receiver that decodes those signals that are being sent without encryption coding (scrambling) and receive those for free legally. I'm not talking about getting free DirecTV or DishNetwork. However, I'm talking about getting signals that are legally available to anyone with a DVB decoding receiver. It will also pick up those channels that are broadcasting without scrambling on Dish Network's satellite at 61.5. There are other things on other satellites as well that aren't scrambled. However, do not ask how to get scrambled channels for free, since it is strictly illegal. There are also signals sent up that are known as feeds where broadcasters are broadcasting material from different areas of the United States back to their studio or even different parts of the world back to the studio. Many times you can see a news reporter preping at least an hour with a signal being sent, which will allow you to see them rehearsing their lives before being shown live via the studio. You can also get show feeds that will be shown later in the day that are broadcasted without scrambling and shown in primetime or during the day, like soap operas that are fed via satellite to stations to record at 6:00 AM in the morning and are often shown at 11:00AM or sometime in the afternoon.

can you recommend a FTA receiver that will work with the Voom setup?

Thanks in advance

A couple I've heard of discussed on FTA forum here

There's a FTA forum here at satelliteguys.us. It's further down the page past C-band. Anyway, I've heard that Pansat 2500 and Fortec Ultra Lifetime receivers were both good ones at picking up stuff off of satellites. Another note I forgot to add was that if you have had a dish upgrade from the original install then you can receive unscrambled stuff from other satellites, but if not, then you can pick up a lot of music channels that are on Dish Network's satellites that are in the clear. An 18inch Voom dish will get music channels off the DishNetwork websites and a 30-36inch dish will allow you to get signals off the other satellites up there, but you will have to get another LNB to go on the dish that is either a universal or standard LNB, since those other satellites besides Rainbow-1 and DishNetwork satellites use a different polarity than those of DBS. For more information, check out the FTA forum on the main forum listing page at Satelliteguys.us. Also, another reminder, do not, and I repeat, do not mention anything about getting scrambled channels for free because Iceberg or any other forum member will think your trying to hack a satellite and will therefore ban you from satelliteguys.us forums forever!!!

Presently I have four Voom receivers running and a couple of Dish receivers. Are you saying I could hook up one of my Dish receivers while the Voom receivers are still working or should I wait until Voom's death on the 30th? Really appreciate your info and am curious about what's going airing on Rainbow 1

I tried it with my 6000 receiver, and it indeed works. There is not much at 61.5 from dish though

jeslevine said:
I tried it with my 6000 receiver, and it indeed works. There is not much at 61.5 from dish though

You got that right, one channel info and a whole lot of Russian, Japanese and arabic programming.

jeslevine said:
can you recommend a FTA receiver that will work with the Voom setup?

Thanks in advance

There is nothing on DBS free to air that you can watch with a FTA receiver and 18" dish. The only channels on 61.5 in HD that are not scambled is the HD demo loop for Dish. The FTA stuff is KU low power requiring a 30" dish or larger to receive. I have a Unity Motion HD STB set up un a Primestar dish pointed at AMC 3 sat for the PBS HD FTA feed.

Can I use the VOOM dish for Dish Network

Can I have the Dish Network installer just repoint my VOOM dish to hit their satellite(s)?

I also need to add that I am getting the everything pack from Dish Network, so do I have to have their '500' dish?

I would love to keep all of my wiring, antenna, etc. exactly the same.

Thanks.

dallasiahawk said:
Can I have the Dish Network installer just repoint my VOOM dish to hit their satellite(s)?.

No, The Voom dish uses a single LNB and the Dish system uses a dual LNB.

dallasiahawk said:
I also need to add that I am getting the everything pack from Dish Network, so do I have to have their '500' dish?

Yes, The new Dish is FREE or included in your package whether you use it or not. You may be able to reuse the mount from the Voom system to mount your new dish.

dallasiahawk said:
I would love to keep all of my wiring, antenna, etc. exactly the same.

Thanks.

Wiring yes, Antenna, if you mean your OTA antenna, then yes. Make sure you get the HD Receiver from Diah because your going to go crazy looking at that picture compared to what we had with Voom. At least you will be able to get a couple HD lite channels.

Quote ptech:
"No, The Voom dish uses a single LNB and the Dish system uses a dual LNB."

Wrong, Voom used Direct TV dual LNB's but only used one RF connector on the LNB. The other is there unused. The Voom LNB and dish will work with Direct or Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)