Future Voomer..(maybe)

cdprayor

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 16, 2004
I am currently a E* and have the hd pack.I am not impressed with this package at all.For $10 a month I would think I could get more channels.The only reason I am staying with them for the moment is because I also have the 522 dual dvr tuner.Anything you guys can tell me to do the switch to Voom??Thanks :confused:

Well, still no DVR over here at Voom - but if it's more HD channels you're looking for, you've come to the right place. I can speak for myself of course, but I'm very happy with Voom's programming - and I only have the basic package. With the Va-Va-Voom package there are even more HD channels available. But if local channels are important to you, you should go to antennaweb.org first to make sure you can get them with an antenna, because they're not available over the satellite. Read these forums, check out Voom's web site - see if it's right for you. Me? I love it.

Hi cdprayor,

Welcome to the Voom forum!

There are as many pros and cons about Voom as there are TV fans. But here are the benefits of Voom as I see them...

(1) The most HD currently available: If you have seen HD and have a hard time going back to SD, then you will be very pleased with this side of Voom, especially VaVaVoom with all the premium HD movie channels;

(2) Exclusive content: If you ever thought about the unique programming that HD makes possible -- extreme sports with great clarity, or seeing famous art so close in famous art galeries that you can see the brush strokes, or seeing colorful places around the world in HD (double what's on Discovery HD), then Voom's exclusive content is probably for you, all in surround sound;

(3) No commercials on the exclusive channels: You can watch all that exclusive content on Voom without annoying medicine commercials, car commercials, fast food commercials, etc. This is a BIG plus for me.

Voom DVR is coming soon, more HD channels are coming soon, new dish, new compression, new satellites, lots of excitement on the cutting edge.

If you live close enough for over-the-air (OTA) channels, the Voom set top box (STB) decodes HD for those channels as well. We are too far away for that, but we find VaVaVoom offers more than enough even without OTA. Always something great to watch, and almost everything in HD. Where else can you get all that?

Good luck!

I live about 45 miles from the ota ch's.Will voom set me up with an antenna when they install?I still have basic cable but would like the hd locals.

Yes, they will give you an antenna that will cover that range of miles. Make you to go to annteweb.org and find out if your OTA locals are doing transmitting digitally. The VOOM stb does not encode analog OTA only digital. Also, make sure to see if all are coming from the same direction. You may or may not need a rotor and the rotor is not provided as part of the installation.

1080iBeVuMin said:
Voom DVR is coming soon, more HD channels are coming soon, new dish, new compression, new satellites, lots of excitement on the cutting edge.

1080iBeVuMin,

You don't happen to work for Voom do you?
You almost had me believing it all.

Cdprayor,

Voom will try very hard to get you your locals, but they don't guarantee it.

cdprayor said:
thanx alot txcruiser..where are you locatd in tx?

Dallas/Fort Worth.

For specific local info I suggest you review the posts in the VOOM "In Your Area" Forum that is available here. There you will see the pros and cons for receiving locals via OTA thru Voom.

Some people keep their basic cable for locals on Sat. does your area carry HD locals? Are they all digital, eventually they all will be, but if your locals aren't digital/HD anyway it could be a moot point.

I have VaVaVoom since May, I have been very happy that Voom has worked through issues, and keep adding more HD. It's the HD first mentality I appreciate and stick with.

cdprayor - I see a few here have no problem telling you the pros of Voom. Ask them why they didn't include the cons in thier answer to you. All I can say is research before you jump on the Voom wagon. Do yourself a favor and read the thread named "New Info In SEC Doc Filed 9/2", which is located here also. That's all I will say. Good luck.

DobyMax said:
cdprayor - I see a few here have no problem telling you the pros of Voom. Ask them why they didn't include the cons in thier answer to you. All I can say is research before you jump on the Voom wagon. Do yourself a favor and read the thread named "New Info In SEC Doc Filed 9/2", which is located here also. That's all I will say. Good luck.

Doby,
I read the thread you recommend. I think I even understand what the SEC document says. I still can't see the cons of watching tons of stuff in HD on Voom, do you?

So you're telling me there are not any cons to Voom? If so, I will tip my hat to you, because you are a very loyal customer. I only made a suggestion to cdprayor, and I will let him decide from here.

DobyMax said:
So you're telling me there are not any cons to Voom? If so, I will tip my hat to you, because you are a very loyal customer. I only made a suggestion to cdprayor, and I will let him decide from here.

I am only telling you that, at this point, there are no better overall options for HD than Voom. I am not saying that Voom has no problems or that Voom will be the leader of HD forever or that Voom has more SD shopping channels.

my cable does not offer any hd channels as of yet.The only way I can get cbs or fox in hd would be through and antenna.I currently have distant locals through LA and Chicago..still no hd on them...

andrezj - I'm just stating what I see a lot of Voomers here are saying. I didn't say you don't have a lot of HD channels, you do. Nor did I suggest that the sports are limited, very limited, the installation is a crap shoot on the quality (not Voom's fault, but you have to deal with the contractor of thier choice), local channels not guranteed (mentioned in a post above, not mine), or....well, I'll stop. If you like HD channels (which I agree that you have) and have the same shows monthly (new meaning to the phrase showing this month), then Voom is for you. You guys always keep saying that Voom will be adding more stations, adding a DVR, this and that. Voom better start adding CUSTOMERS. Thats a fact. 30,000 is a little low, wouldn't you say?

DobyMax said:
Thats a fact. 30,000 is a little low, wouldn't you say?

I would, and I am concerned. On the other hand, that low number doesn't diminish my HD viewing pleasures in any way or form, and that's what I was trying to communicate here. :)

CDPRAYOR, if you have a HD set, make the jump. Voom's PQ is softer than what Dish serves up via the HD Pack, nothing beats the PQ of HDNET & some Voom channels suffer what's called Mosquito Noise, but if you have a smallish TV, say in the 57" or smaller range, you probably won't even notice unless you are a real PQ critic, but seeing as how you still have Dish SD, I would say you are not, so make the plunge, the water's fine.

DarrellP said:
..., but if you have a smallish TV, say in the 57" or smaller range,....

Holy Shmoly! These days 57" set is considered "smallish". Life is good (at least for some). :D

DarrellP said:
CDPRAYOR, if you have a HD set, make the jump. Voom's PQ is softer than what Dish serves up via the HD Pack, nothing beats the PQ of HDNET & some Voom channels suffer what's called Mosquito Noise, but if you have a smallish TV, say in the 57" or smaller range, QUOTE]

Darell.... like you I have a projector so I am using a 118" diag picture. How would your advice change for a front projector setup? You mention that Voom's HD is "softer" than the signal from Dish? I have also heard of numerous problems with the 811 STB from dish... so what to do... what to do?

I am moving from an area with 13 HD stations from my local Cable Co as well as the Scientific Atlanta 8000HD High Definition DVR... Comcast in Pleasant Grove (my new home is in Cedar Hill) does not offer any HD service... not that important, just that I am a bit bummed.

So I find myself on an adventure trying to figure out what to do for TV service at my new home. I have one HD projector that I use for my main viewing, but the other TV's in the house are just SD.

Obviously Voom offers more HD than any other service, but they have their own issues also... ie: no locals unless you can reach them OTA (as my new house is backed up against the hill, I have no idea what type of OTA coverage is available... I have gone to antennaweb and titantv to check it out... they think I can receive some stations "good," none excellent, and several poor). Higher fee's for a second or third STB, no DVR currently available, mosquito noise, ... and I am sure there are others I am simply not aware of.

Voom sent me an offer this summer for free install and Voom for $39 and VaVaVoom for $79... however, the time seems to have expired on this offer and the prices have gone up $10 per month and installation to $199........ :confused:

Thanks,

Steve

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)