FX begins to feel the ratings effect.

r_childress

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
According to TVBYTHENUMBERS.Com FX has begun to feel the loss of Dish Network in the all-important ratings game:

From overnight cable rating, final numbers:

"FX’s Terriers fell back down to a 0.2 rating and less than 500,000 viewers (perhaps because the Nielsen homes that have Dish Network could not watch it)."

My wife is grumbling about not having FX. She has already mentioned switching to another provider.
Told her it's a big hassle and we'd be locked in for two years.
Plus I'd have to buy another sub to NHL CI....I am not doing that. We'll sit tight.
This will be over...Eventually.
Ok, so Versus stayed off D* for almost a year...

I'm a hockey fan, and really want to see my game, but I'm with Dish on this. What, they have 14 million subscribers, Fox won't keep it off that long. It's like a year or two back when Comedy Central was pulled. They were gone a week or so, then back. These channels can't afford to lose 14 million homes. They'll work it all out. In the end Dish will have saved us some $ on our bills, and Fox will get a bump in what they get paid. Just wish they'd get it done in time for Saturday :)

You guys realize that Dish only accounts for a very small proportion of all paying TV subs? Dish not carrying FX is only going to have a small impact if any

You guys realize that Dish only accounts for a very small proportion of all paying TV subs? Dish not carrying FX is only going to have a small impact if any

You do realize that DISH network is the #3 pay TV provider in the nation right? Right behind DirecTV and Comcast.

DISH accounts for around 14-15% of the subs of the top 25 pay TV providers.

You do realize that DISH network is the #3 pay TV provider in the nation right? Right behind DirecTV and Comcast.

DISH accounts for around 14-15% of the subs of the top 25 pay TV providers.
Which accounts for 14% of all subs. Which if everything is proportionally the same, the MOST Sons of Anarchy will be affected when it comes to this issue is less than 14% decline. A decline from 3 million to 500k is much greater than 14%. If these raters were true (which they were not), then there was something going on much greater than the Dish issue.

Interestingly enough, not only did the ratings not go down by 14%, they actually went up compared to the average season rating of last year. Considering this is a type of show in which new viewers are not typically added, this is pretty impressive
http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/426354_tvgif8.html

Tuesday's episode drew 4.12 million viewers, ranking as the series' third most-watched episode just behind the Season 2 finale (4.33 million viewers) and the Season 2 premiere (4.29 million viewers). The show also drew 2.81 million viewers in the coveted adults-18-to-49 demographic, making it basic cable's highest-rated episode of scripted TV in 2010.
The season premiere between last year and this year only dropped 3% (much less than 14% decline)

500,000 is nowhere near 4 million.

Last edited:
Which accounts for 14% of all subs.
Which is not insignificant. Dish Network may be testing the waters for a truly diversified Sat option, where Directv and Dish Network actually become different in what they offer. Want FX, you need Directv. Want great exclusive HD movie channel, Dish Network. Want a hassle, Time Warner.

Newscorp wants to charge whatever they want. Dish said no. They have people in contracts, which empowers them to fight large price increases for channels. It gives them the ability to say "The heck with you Newscorp", move in a different direction and still have a generally happy viewership, Internet Web Boards aside ;).

If Dish continues not showing FX, then that could empower Directv as well. Dish fighting this fight could be good for all subscribers.

Which is not insignificant. Dish Network may be testing the waters for a truly diversified Sat option, where Directv and Dish Network actually become different in what they offer. Want FX, you need Directv. Want great exclusive HD movie channel, Dish Network. Want a hassle, Time Warner.

Newscorp wants to charge whatever they want. Dish said no. They have people in contracts, which empowers them to fight large price increases for channels. It gives them the ability to say "The heck with you Newscorp", move in a different direction and still have a generally happy viewership, Internet Web Boards aside ;).

If Dish continues not showing FX, then that could empower Directv as well. Dish fighting this fight could be good for all subscribers.
Directv will not drop FSN to much sports to lose.

I don't recall how long it lasted, but if you all will remember Dish and Lifetime had quite a dispute for a long while back in the early 2000's. My point being, the channels will be back we just don't know how long.

My wife is grumbling about not having FX. She has already mentioned switching to another provider.
Told her it's a big hassle and we'd be locked in for two years.
Plus I'd have to buy another sub to NHL CI....I am not doing that. We'll sit tight.
This will be over...Eventually.
Ok, so Versus stayed off D* for almost a year...

Actually it was on in time for the NHL Playoffs and went off at the beginning of the season or close to it, 6 months at most.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)