FYI, The old voom box CAN receive E*!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iceberg said:
It would be like cramming that Beta tape in the VHS :D

To take that anology further...

The processing chip/electronics that decodes the magnetic data for Betamax, can also decode the magnetic data from VHS tapes, but does not mean that the Betamax player can play VHS tapes..

Just because a few parts can do it, does not mean the quantified whole can.

Iceberg said:
The only thing the Voom box MAY be able to receive is unencrypted DCII programming (like PBS on AMC3). You would need a 30” dish and a different LNB

But I have tried this before and it doesn’t work. Yes the signal registers, but it says “please wait…we are processing your request. So it really doesn’t work.

Picking up Dish aint gonna happen. Dish uses DVB and Voom/StarChoice is DCII

It would be like cramming that Beta tape in the VHS :D
That's exactly what I was thinking... I've got 3 Voom boxes cluttering my closet here - hehe.

You guys have got to be kidding. If you only knew the complexities that are involved. You've got a better chance of getting struck by lightning. You think twiddling a couple of bits in a few registers and all of a sudden you can connect to a satellite network that the box was not designed for, parse all the allocation tables, and actually tune and decode a new stream. I won't hold my breath.

It's worth a shot.......

The only part of this receiver worth having is the OTA tuner for HD channels. It's only worth 100 dollars because there is no guide data support enabled via the PSIP like the boxes you can buy for twice that much. The reason it would be nice to get the satellite reception portion of the box working for FTA is one because it would be a legal way of getting extra channels for free, and two the satellite portion which is what most of this large box is dedicated to would be worthless. So, that means we want to make the whole 100% portion of the unit worth something rather than 50% being useful and the other 50% being worthless. It may seem stupid, but it's just a way of getting the biggest bang out of these babies. Besides, with being able to toy with these and possibly figuring out ways to make new software, we could in turn enable PSIP data for program guide (First priority in the list), we could also fix some of the bugs these receivers have in the final software update(believe me there are bugs in these receivers ;), and we could find out the true potential for these receivers (whether or not the hardware can truly support DVB, DCII or both for FTA functioning, and also see if we could figure out a way to rig up a hard drive and use them to record programming since they support DVR functions within the interface and maybe even be able to network two or more together for those who have multiple receivers). Also, we could figure out a way to run a hit to these boxes and reset them via the hardware or software and still be able to use them, which might make those "dead" boxes they're selling on Ebay useful. It's not something that is stupid or lame, it is something to shoot for or aim for. Who knows, we may even make those that are doubtful envy us. :cool:

Well unless if you're a serious hacker with detailed specs on the 7035, your not gonna get anything out of it. Just because the hardware supports a hard drive interface doesn't mean you can get DVR functionality. That's like saying you can create DVD's on a PC running DOS just because it has an IDE port.

Well the same was said about runing linux on a Xbox and look its been done..

I have not had any time to look in to the STB but maybe the same can be done there..

AFKsky said:
Well the same was said about runing linux on a Xbox and look its been done..

I have not had any time to look in to the STB but maybe the same can be done there..

Well, it helps that the Xbox is a propritary x86 based PC..

I am sure that some of this can be done, but it will require either major modifications, or a complete software re-write.. Installing Linux on an xbox is a complete rewrite of both the BIOS and the OS...

If someone wants to take the time to redo all of the software in this box, you might be able to do FTA DC2 and perhaps DVB.. but without the Nagravision hardware, it would never legally get E* programming, unless they decided to sanction software decrypt (read as: never gonna happen)

The subject article reminds me of lines from some typical Star Trek like "We could modify the toaster to emit a particle beam and scan the Jeffrey's tube for the alien."

Yes, Scotty could do anything and he could probably get the VOOM box to receive DISH.

But Scotty's answer might be...."But why would I want to do that when I've got a Dish receiver???"

Article should have been called FYI - Voom MAY be able to receive Dish with modifications and a lot of "if's." Or maybe the article is written the way Newsweek would have reported it.

Tvlman said:
The subject article reminds me of lines from some typical Star Trek like "We could modify the toaster to emit a particle beam and scan the Jeffrey's tube for the alien."

Yes, Scotty could do anything and he could probably get the VOOM box to receive DISH.

But Scotty's answer might be...."But why would I want to do that when I've got a Dish receiver???"

Or in the movie “Mallrats” when Jay said Silent Bob won the science fair by turning his mom’s vibrator into a CD player.

Since this topic really has run its course, I am closing. There are lots of points, but the Voom box cannot be used for Dish. It may be able to be modifed, but then we are getting into a grey area of the policy of satelliteguys of "no hack talk"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts