FYI to Dish Subs in Tulsa and OKC

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Just saw a scroll during the NFL game. Looks like Dish and Griffin Communications are "negotiating" The Griffin locals in Tulsa and OKC may be gone on Jan 16, if an agreement isn't reached. That would be KOTV (CBS) and KQCW (CW) in Tulsa and KWTV (CBS) in OKC.

I first saw this scroll on Friday. On Saturday I received and email from Dish wanting to use my email address to send a notice to KOTV that I disagreed with them wanting a rate increase.

Yep, saw the message scrolling across the screen during the Ravens vs Chiefs game. Luckily I can get the channel over the air so it won't affect me much. It'll just be another instance where I'll keep paying for a channel that I don't get from Dish.

I have seen the scroll on both KOTV and KQCW. Assuming the worse if it is not resolved by next week will we be able to request a neighboring CBS and/or CW if we so desire. I mean with CBS that effects 54 of 77 Oklahoma Counties and also effects 2 counties in Kansas. I use to get mad at dish when they pulled stations, but I can't see or justify a 200% rate increase. Whatever that number is it is huge!!! KOTV has put a viewer feedback about the issue. I really hope it is resloved. If not no football next Sunday and NO AFC Championship game the following week. KQCW is not in HD on dish and I believe KOTV also has another subchannel This TV that is not avaiable so unless they change some of that I can't see giving that much. If Dish gives in Directv, Cox, and other cable companies will be asked to do the same. Also since Tulsa has 9 other stations and OKC 10 other stations they may ask for a 200% increase as well. The madness must stop!!!! I wish I could get a 200% increase in pay at my job.

I know David Griffin thru various philanthropic acquaintances. These rate increases came up in a discussion a few months ago during the Fox and Cablevision dispute and I told him the local station groups were going to kill broadcasting if they kept up with these ridiculous demands for the OTA stations. Just falls on deaf ears though. He has put a response up now on KOTV.com and KWTV.com saying that Dish's emails to customers stating 200% increase is BS. Most of the responses on KWTV and KOTV are in favor of Dish though.

Well if Mr. Griffin wants to show he is not the one demanding a 200% then why doesn't hell tell us what they are getting and what they want??? Until there we can pick and choose what we want we have to deal with this. I hope in the future if a local raises your rate if you want another (in this case) CBS from a neighboring DMA you should be able to get it. Never have understood why cable can have multiple ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, or PBS stations and when you got to satellite you can only have 1 of each. Give the customer a choice!! If I want the CBS from Pittsburg, KS or Ft. Smith Arkansas I should be able to get it. Same for fols in that DMA. This will help with someone wanting to much money if there are other options. Griffin knows they have a hold on 50+ counties for TV viewership and there is not a thing we can do about it since most of us are under contract!!!

sorry no ala cart. if kotv or kqcw is pulled you will have to use antenna or the internet to view CBS or CW programming. Dish is not allowed to give you stations outside of our DMA.

I've been seeing the scroll too. I don't even care what the numbers are. If Griffen is asking for any increase... they are the bad guy. I'm not a big Ergan fan either, but I'm with him on all the demanded increases.

IMO, broadcast stations don't have any business even getting paid a penny for re-transmission. That would be like you going over to a buddy's house, doing some work for him, and then... he charges you for it!

I don't know how many people Chuck is charging for locals, but he's giving me mine for free. If he is still charging others for locals... he needs to stop it. Him charging for locals could be the one single excuse that a broadcasts group could have for wanting to get paid. Locals should be free to everyone... including Chuck & us.

I wonder if it will affect the ATSC versions that I get with the OTA tuner in the 211k? I kinda doubt it, but this is my first go-round with a Dish Network OTA tuner. So I have no way to know if they can block them or not (or if they even would).

If they do, I'll just watch channel 9 on the HTPC.

Cheers

They cannot block the OTA module, you even get the program guide info.

Off course, folks at E* won't be surprised if some customers suddenly "move" if negotiations fail.

Seen it scrolling on KWTV over the last week. I for one am glad Dish is taking a stand (as much as the fox/dish dispute pissed me off, i'm still glad when looking at the bigger picture). These programmers are crazy, especially the broadcast networks.

I don't really care if they solve it or not. I'll continue to watch KWTV over my antenna as I do today.

+1 for the a la carte option. This should be the future, but I know the programmer are smart enough to know what will happen if this becomes an option.

They cannot block the OTA module, you even get the program guide info.

Off course, folks at E* won't be surprised if some customers suddenly "move" if negotiations fail.

If they can't / won't internally block the ATSC versions in Dish Network receivers, then I don't care if they settle this or not. Charlie should offer them 50% less than what they were getting before and tell them to take it or leave it.

I don't know about the Tulsa Griffen stations, but channel 9 in OKC is very strong. It can reach far out into the state. Especially if the long distance user has a decent antenna setup properly.

There will be some who use the DN sat versions as a necessity, but I can't imagine it being a huge number. It looks to me that Griffen has a lot more to lose than Charlie.

Cheers

They can't block the ATSC channel from appearing in the tuner lineup, but Dish can block the guide data, so that it just shows Digital Station or Important info Press select now. So you would have to set up manual timers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)