G9 HD and a DSR-405

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
I am told that if I just want Galaxy 13 for HBO-HD and STARZ-HD that I just need a DSR-405 and the HDD-200/HDD-201 sidecar for the HD as I will not need the Dish to move.

Can I use a former StarChoice DSR-405 or do I need a special US C Band Version?

StarChoice box won't work (not that I'm aware of) because its set up only for StarChocie (AnikF1/F2)

Iceberg said:
StarChoice box won't work (not that I'm aware of) because its set up only for StarChocie (AnikF1/F2)

Is there a way take it back to a virgin state and bring it back as a typical US DSR405?

You will not be able to get usa programming on a Star choice unit, you may have got bad info.

You can get a 905 sidecar and a HDD 200/201 for the programming you would like, though if you want Showtime HD you will need to move the Dish.

Digicipher II recievers have a unit id number stored in them in a memory chip that's powered by a special lithium battery that should last a fairly long time (like 10 years or more). This unit Id number is unique to each receiver and used to authorise the reciever by the programming providers. That is whenever you purchase programming you'll have to give them this number and they will send an authorisation hit to your reciever using this number. There's no way you can change this number and if the receiver ever loses the number for any reason, like maybe the battery goes dead, your receiver is effectively dead and will never be able to receive DCII programming again. Anyway, certain models of recievers may have unit ID numbers from different ranges of numbers. This is the case with starchoice DSR-405s and it's american cousin the 905. Therefore if you attempt to subscribe to 4dtv programming with a 405 or any other starchoice reciever at the moment you give them the unit ID number they'll immediately recognise that it's a starchoice receiver and they will not authorise it for you. They're not allowed to by the DCII gods (general instruments and motorola) who have complete control over DCII. The same thing is true if you have a commercial DCII receiver. That is if you attempt to subscribe with a commercial DCII receiever they'll know by the unit ID it's not a 4dtv unit and won't allow it. So, if you want to subscribe you gotta use the right receiver (in this case either a 905,920, or 922).

As for the HD decoder, the good news there is it doesn't matter as the HD decoder only decodes video and has nothing to do with the decryption engine. So, you can use either an HDD-200, HDD-201, or even an HDD-1000 (if you can find one).

Thanks - I see where the confusion factor comes in.

I was told by someone that I needed the American Version of the 405, but was not told that has a TOTALLY DIFFERENT NUMBER - 905 and not 405.

If I had been told it was a 905 and not a 405 I would have never thought it was possible.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Stefan said:
There's no way you can change this number and if the receiver ever loses the number for any reason, like maybe the battery goes dead, your receiver is effectively dead and will never be able to receive DCII programming again.

I was under the impression that the board could be replaced in this event. Doesn't ATS do these repairs?

ATS did do a board swap in the dsr 921 for $150 plus labor, this would be a 920 board, I am not sure if they are still doing it, since I heard they were running low on 920 boards, I have not heard of them doing this for any other models.

Their web site indicates they do bad id# repairs on 920, 921, and 922's. I'm not sure how up to date it is though.

Yes, the main board can be replaced but then you've virtually got a new receiver except maybe for the chassis and power supply right? Also you'll then have a new unit ID number. Anyway, this was in response to the original posters question if there would be any way to convert the 405 to a 905 ( or as he put it "take it back to a virgin state and bring it back as a typical US DSR405?") and the point was there's no way to reprogram the unit ID number. It's this way for a reason and that is to thwart hacking.

Last edited:
OK, lol, could ATS put a 920 board in a 405 chasis for $150 if they are essentially the same unit, but one is Ku band and the other is C Band?

I do have a 405 here with a dead board.

It doesn't matter if a 905 is similar to a 405, the connectors on the back are different. The 905 has C and Ku band connections.
It would probalby cost more to convert a 405 to a 905 then it would cost to buy a 905.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)