Galaxy 19 on a 24 inch dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks for posting the above photos!!! I truly appreciate it!
I only spent a few mins on dish today but I had a question you and Fred555 mentioned keeping the dish skew (on rear of dish) at 90 deg. - will that change? Clearly at 90 deg. leaves the dish much more vertically lined up, compared to the 25 or so deg I had it set to before.
Also the pole, the non-curved area closest to the dish is now plumb! Can't believe I overlooked that, it had been on my roof and was not plumb in the photo.
Thanks!!
The LNB skew as I understand I'll set to about 24 and do that by matching numbers on LNB and on bracket.
For that I will be turning LNB counter-clockwise, when standing in FRONT of dish?
PS. I was using a small tv and had receiver out on the deck with me, yes definitely helps .

You're welcome! Yeah, set the dish skew at 90 deg [which is actually zero, half of the 180 deg which is the satellite arc, 90, right in the middle] and lock it down like that and it'll stay that way, because then you'll instead set the skew by turning the LNB in it's holder. It's easier to line up the azimuth to the satellite doing the skew that way because standing behind the dish you can look straight along the arm and aim it, rather than having the arm angled off to the left or right.

Either way of setting the skew is ok, but for first installs, setting the dish for no skew and skewing the LNB is easier. If you do at a later date try setting the skew by the dish, then the LNB would be set at zero skew. In certain instances, like with a dual or triple LNB, then you'd have to set the skew with the dish, but not in your case with a single LNB.

When you set the skew on the LNB, it might not be exact to the numbers on the LNB. I usually turn the LNB slowly and just watch my meter for the best Q and wherever that is, is where I lock it down at. Move the LNB forward and back in the holder a bit while watching the receiver's meter and see if you can improve Q there too.

The pole now being plumb should help a lot in being able to find the satellites across the arc! It's not absolutely necessary for the pole to be plumb on a fixed, single LNB dish install, but it does make it a lot easier, especially if you move from one sat to another, trying to get a few different ones.

Reactions: fred555
Well I abandoned my attempt to receive FTA signals from Galaxy 19/97W on an old 20" DISH (echostar).
Found that I could not lock in an adequate number of transponders and the picture quality wasn't good enough.
So despite several hours of searching and adjusting the dish, I resorted back to using an old 90cm KU dish. I wasn't having much better luck even with the big dish until I skewed the LNB properly after getting strong signal on my meter. I also learned that I really didn't have to disconnect the meter when viewing images on the tv!
Anyways next summer I still may try the same from an old directv oval 24" dish.
One weird thing is , I had to raise the elevation on my dish about 8-10 degrees from what satfinder calls for.
Maybe it's got something to do with the dish being used or the placement of the replacement LNB. The wife doesn't want the dish on our deck railing too long but getting strong signal/PQ for nearly all 175 or so chs. my X2 IV pulled in. about 72 PQ. See photos.

20151026_112041_resized.jpg 20151026_112033_HDR_resized.jpg

Reactions: Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)