Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTABman0

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2006
Lat 39.2°N WV Lo 81.5°W
Afternoon Guys!

So far I have noticed that every STB I have so far hangs up while blind scanning IA 5/Galaxy 25 at 11867 22000 SPS Vertical.

Sometimes after sitting there for awhile it will continue but most of the time I have to exit out for it would sit there all day stuck. The older STB’s would just lock up and restart completely! I was just wondering if anyone else has the same problem while blind scanning that bird?

I get great signal & quality on that transponder 97% S - 95% Q.

I am blind scanning now and it has been stuck there for about a half hour now. My Coolsats did it, Fortec Star Classic NA, SatPros, and the new CNX does it.

Seems odd. I thought I would see if I am the only member with that problem.

Afternoon Guys!

So far I have noticed that every STB I have so far hangs up while blind scanning IA 5/Galaxy 25 at 11867 22000 SPS Vertical.

Sometimes after sitting there for awhile it will continue but most of the time I have to exit out for it would sit there all day stuck. The older STB’s would just lock up and restart completely! I was just wondering if anyone else has the same problem while blind scanning that bird?

I get great signal & quality on that transponder 97% S - 95% Q.

I am blind scanning now and it has been stuck there for about a half hour now. My Coolsats did it, Fortec Star Classic NA, SatPros, and the new CNX does it.

Seems odd. I thought I would see if I am the only member with that problem.
Is your LNB Cable connected via a power supply surge protector adaptor? if it is, disconnect it and connect the cable directly to the box. Did you try using a different LNB? The LNB seems to be the constant in all your tests that failed.

Is your LNB Cable connected via a power supply surge protector adaptor? if it is, disconnect it and connect the cable directly to the box. Did you try using a different LNB? The LNB seems to be the constant in all your tests that failed.

The cable is directly to the box, no surge protector inline with anything. But I wonder if it id because I am using the LOOP OUT? You just raised awareness there Babadem, I will have to unhook that and try it.

My lnb is an Invacom QPH-031, seems like that is the only bird I have troubles with hanging or stopping on that transponder when I scan.

Thanks! your questions got me thinking about the loop out. :)

Just ran a scan with my Pansat 2700A for that transponder and picked up all the TV and radio channels listed in Lyngsat. No problems. Good luck

Just ran a scan with my Pansat 2700A for that transponder and picked up all the TV and radio channels listed in Lyngsat. No problems. Good luck

It’s a crap shoot here Hermitman. There is times when I have no problems but most of the time I get hung on that same transponder. I hope nothing is wrong outside with the lnb!

Makes you wonder though since everything is working smoothly with the rest of the satellite arc. I am baffled on why it does that. Now since my start of this post my new CNX Mini is still stuck there and it has been about an hour now.

I had to reset the motor yesterday to clear the sat table out and start all over fresh since I had stored old DiSEqC 1.2 positions in it. The new STB had trouble moving to the birds I wanted to see. I had to factory reset the Mini for all previous scans were on the old table I programmed for my other STB box in the motor. I am strictly USALS commands now in the Moteck SG2100.

Today I started all over scanning all my satellites in and we get hung on that again! I will delete the sat, do a re-scan with the loop out to the bedroom box off and see if that changes anything!

I scanned it yesterday with the Mini and it went all through the transponders fine from start to finish. I am scratching my head! :confused:

I think it was the fortec mercury II that was having issues scanning G25 and locking up, new firmware fixed that issue I beleive. make sure your using the latest firmware on your receiver.

new firmware fixed that issue I beleive. make sure your using the latest firmware on your receiver.

I think I have the latest in there, CHECKING…….. Yes it is with the PVR fix from the manufacture. I will try some of the other older factory firms to see if that fixes the issue though. Great suggestion! :up

I had to delete the last scan, I will try the suggestions here in a bit and rescan to see if I can get passed that pesky transponder! I am about ready to use The List and poke them in by hand!

We just sat there again for about an hour and a half on that transponder upon posting the thread! :mad:

Are you trying to do a full satellite scan or just that one transponder? If it happens when you scan just that one transponder, it may be an intermodulation or interference problem. Do any of those receivers have a interference filter? Do you have any strong transmitters in your local area? Have you tried swapping the coax from one linear output on the lnbf to the other linear output and see if the problem follows. It seems to me if it happens on more than one type of receiver, its something other than the receiver. Just some thoughts. Good luck.

All my local transmitters are in town about 7-10 miles away.

Cell towers are another thing. I know I have one about 2 miles to my North East but the dish is not even close to being pointed in that direction.

I don't know if that would cause intermodulation or interference being on the back side of the dish unless it is running in on the switch or coax. I assume it could though since cell towers are GHz.

I’ll have to run a RG-6 to the empty end to the Invacom QPH-031 quad to see if that works. More things to try! Thanks for more suggestions!

I know that most of the time when I would blind scan that bird with my Fortec Classic it would always hang up and restart. Seems like it is an outside problem though since that transponder always gives me fits on any STB!

Are you set for using GMT on your receiver? I heard something about a GMT / EPG challenge and that transponder sounds familiar.

Pop,
I am familiar with that also, I read that someplace a couple years ago. Your answer is no, I never set boxes up using GMT since there is no EPG available to adjust properly on FTA channels that I know of. Keeps your clock wacky when turned on or at least that was my experience.

I am about ready to do another “Blind Scan” again with my loop out coax un-unhooked to see if that maybe the problem. I will try just one end of the Invacom directly in the afternoon tomorrow to see if it is interference messing with my set-up.

It has to be something outside (Dish, Switch, Motor electronics) messing with it. The CNX Mini came with a brand new switch so of course I replaced it so it is new. I suspect that it is a problem outside though since all my STB’s have problems when it tries to scan that bird!

Thanks Pop for your chime in, as always I value all responses from the FTA veterans!

Note to rv1pop,
Pop, where are those MacGyver pictures of your RV-Park half rigged dish set up last week? I am still waiting to see those! :D

Eyeballing the bird, and hitting it on the first try! :up

Kevin

Update as of 11:02 PM

I just did another blind scan of Galaxy 25 with the Loop Out to the bedroom disconnected and away it went past the pesky TP 11867 22000 SPS Vertical! Now I know that there is no power on the bedroom Coolsat 6000 when it is in standby mode so that is a real head scratcher! I will have to try it again to eliminate the possibility that I just got lucky that scan~O~Round but the results will be interesting.

Another thing I noticed with the new CNX Mini is that the power going out to the dish is on all the time when plugged in. Stand by mode the Moteck SG2100 green light is on. I have not yet tried to run the Coolsat 6000 in the bedroom yet while the CNX box is off with remote but something tells me that that would cause a problem.

I was always curious about the Loop Out feature anyway, I got it hooked up that way, never had any problems yet but I never run the two boxes at the same time. You would think that with both on that the motor, switch & LNB would double the voltage going out to them? Right? Does the STB box that is master cancel out the voltage before it goes out to the dish? I always wondered!

Nevertheless it does not value a try to see if it does. I am not one to throw a voltage meter on the lnb input to find out.

Anyways, thought I would let everyone know that I think I found the culprit! I will try again in the morning with the loop out back in to see it was the problem for sure! I want to sit down now and enjoy things moving on my TV instead of set-up screens and scan screens!

Thanks to all that helped with suggestions on this stumper!

Last edited:
I don’t know if this has anything to do with it but I was going through by motor manual today (see picture) and it says not to put the cable down by or near the dish bracket near their illustrated circle.

My coax is by that location so I wonder if I should re-locate it away from that area? I mounted my switch on the back of the LNB bracket holder and for the most part, I really have not had any troubles with it but on that transponder and I think in other bird that I can’t remember right now.

I will re-locate the coax to see. Anyone know why this area can cause interference on the back of the motor mount?

Very interesting.

Attachments

• Moteck Manual.JPG
    Moteck Manual.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 160
  • S6306236.JPG
    S6306236.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 163
I don’t know if this has anything to do with it but I was going through by motor manual today (see picture) and it says not to put the cable down by or near the dish bracket near their illustrated circle.

Lak7 is correct, this is suggested to keep the cables from getting tangled on and pulled by the dish when it moves.

I finally got the picture off the camera and into the compter, but I did not find them yet where I can get them to down load! They show up in the transfer program so I did not lose them... Meetings this week from 7 am til 11pm so not searching for them too much. That is not the transponder for the EPG and clock. Check out the G* forum for an update on that..
POP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)