Game Lounge review - free preview

Status
Please reply by conversation.

skottey

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Denver Metro, CO
So they have the 4th of July Game Lounge Free Preview. I have been playing around with this thing a little bit on both my HR-21 boxes.

First off... it is slow... it could very well be that so many people are trying it out that it is bogged down. I don't know for sure, but it is slow.

Second- the games are crappy.... reminds me of the Sega Genesis online service back in 1996, offered briefly by Paragon (Time Warner) cable and other systems. Oh wait, The Sega system was more fun.

Third- it locks up, but it only locked up on one of my receivers, so maybe my receiver is messed up.

Fourth- I own two Xbox 360s, a wii, a PSP, a gameboy, a PS3, and a boatload of games. I also have a ton of boxed product computer games that are fun (Civ4/Beyond the Sword for me, Sims2 for my older son). Not to mention online games like pogo.com for free.

Fifth- The DirecTV remote control makes a crappy "joystick"

Sixth- Looks like all games are not available all the time. Not sure why, other than they don't have enough servers to meet the demand.

Seventh- I am not sure if it is downloading the game to my receiver or playing it off a server at the DirecTV end. Maybe a combination of using the dish and my Ethernet over the Internet. Not sure what it is doing, but back to #1, it is slow.

Verdict-
I could see no reason for anybody to subscribe to this outdated game service. The games are just too 10 years ago looking. And a lot of this stuff is free on the Internet. The only person I could see paying for this and enjoying it are people that don't have other gaming systems or a computer with Internet. You know, those sophisticated baby boomer types that think videogames are for kids and would have to be pushed to admit to playing games like game lounge. They would probably be as ashamed to have you find it on their DTV guide as a working service, the way they'd be ashamed to have you find their Playboy subscription.

There is no reason to be ashamed. Adults can play video games too. I am 33 and have played video games all my life (loved my Colecovision in the early 80's) You want games? Get a wii, Baby Boomers! Get a broadband Internet connection and head over to Pogo.com or one of those services. Don't pay for Game Lounge!

I will spend some more time playing with this over the weekend. I subscribe to the Premier package. This stupid Game Lounge should be included in my package. It is not worth an extra $8 or whatever they want. At least if it was on there, free, my visitors may actually get some use out of it. Or maybe it will get better. Who knows.

Does anybody see value in this service? Anybody already a subscriber? Anybody going to sign up now that they have played the free preview?

Last edited:
I was looking forward to this preview, wanted to try the service.

As to question #7, I have one internet connected HR-20 and two H-20s, which are not connected to anything other than the dish (not even a phone line). All work the same, so its a straight download from the dish.

I cannot disagree with anything you say. Its slow, it locks up, and its a bunch of lame-o card and board games that you can BUY for the computer or any video game system for less than $50. I happened to be in Staples yesterday and they had 1001 card games on a CD-ROM for $4.

Not worth it. I cannot see paying for this. Maybe if it was included in higher packages or if it was converted into an ad supported deal.

hello scottey,
i joined this service aprox a year ago when you could play for money. most games were 50 cents or a dollar to play. it would keep a balance and mail out your check upon request. i enjoyed it, for some of the card games played against others, but they stopped the cash aspect of it and mailed out the balance to members . sad thing is i havent had it dropped from my plan yet,lol. save your weekend,lol joe

It's a lot faster than it used to be, you guys. I was playing Yahtzee with my boyfriend last night for about two hours, and thought that the games (all 7 of 'em) were moving along a lot faster than they'd be if I had to be counting up my scores. I suck at counting!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)