Game over for me guys...

In fear of having problems after posting this, I will do so anyway. I have had no problems with my 522 (knock on wood) since installation 3 weeks ago. I was in Cleveland and missed Alias, so I called my wife up and told her to just hit the record button on the remote and it should record. No problems at all. I have not setup all these timers that some people have, but I have used the timer function and it has worked fine. I have recorded and did fast forward then fast replay and play with no loss of sound or blocking. Sorry guys!

chowie1 said:
In fear of having problems after posting this, I will do so anyway. I have had no problems with my 522 (knock on wood) since installation 3 weeks ago. I was in Cleveland and missed Alias, so I called my wife up and told her to just hit the record button on the remote and it should record. No problems at all. I have not setup all these timers that some people have, but I have used the timer function and it has worked fine. I have recorded and did fast forward then fast replay and play with no loss of sound or blocking. Sorry guys!

Just give it some time. Welcome to the Beta Tester Club!

--DD

So you're saying analog cable is better than Dish? Sorry but after seeing how craptacular it looks on my Dad's Tivo/Hitachi 53" screen combination I'll have to disagree with you.

As for the ReplayTV, I don't blame you one bit for going with it. I've been looking into them myself lately, especially since I can get a nice little 40 hour 5540 for around $50 and then upgrade the hard drive in it. The worst part about the Dish dvr's is paying all of their ridiculous fees. They want me to pay an extra $15 a month just to "lease" their 522. A box that I'm reading more and more bad things about. I won't even go into the unnecesary installation fee. Thanks but no thanks Dish.

Analog really depends on provider/locale

As well as the cable head-end, your internal cable plant, etc.

On my own 46" HD DLP, analog from cable actually looks better in a lot of cases than SD via Dish.

So, it really depends on exactly where you're at. In other places, analog looks horrible.

kbohip said:
So you're saying analog cable is better than Dish? Sorry but after seeing how craptacular it looks on my Dad's Tivo/Hitachi 53" screen combination I'll have to disagree with you.

As for the ReplayTV, I don't blame you one bit for going with it. I've been looking into them myself lately, especially since I can get a nice little 40 hour 5540 for around $50 and then upgrade the hard drive in it. The worst part about the Dish dvr's is paying all of their ridiculous fees. They want me to pay an extra $15 a month just to "lease" their 522. A box that I'm reading more and more bad things about. I won't even go into the unnecesary installation fee. Thanks but no thanks Dish.

tonyp56 said:
Satisfied and "for the most part" don't go together! You can't be satisfied but have issues! :) :) :) Admit it you are a beta tester! Wouldn't you rather be a end user? :)

If you can't be satisfied unless everything is perfect, you are going to have one unhappy life.

For me the 522 has been an excellent value. I am satisified because the problems I have are small compared to the enjoyment I get for the price I pay.

You should buy a 921 then

People who complain about problems with Dishnet equipment are often immediately criticized because they want it "perfect". I have no idea why that keeps happening.

There is a FAR stretch between working properly, and reliably, and perfection.

Example: Let's assume we're talking about things like the rewind being too slow. Or, that on the 508-510 series you can only get one SVideo output and the second has to be via normal 75ohm connector. Or on the 921 that in order to watch TV from an RG6 run to another room it disables the HD on the component outputs. Those are things that make the units "not perfect".

Now, let's talk about things like - 921 locks up frequently. Can't depend on the timers. Audio drops out. 522 NBR very flaky, often resulting in missed entire or parts of programs. Those are things that make the units "not acceptable".

Now, perhaps you're one of the people who has not had any issues with reliability. If that's the case, great - and you're right. However, if you're having NBR problems or if it does not record right - every time - your standards are far below "perfection". I'd consider them closer to "unacceptable". My Dish replacements, SA8300HDs, are far from perfect. They definitely have things that I consider less than optimal. But, they are completely, undeniably, reliable. They record every thing I tell them to, every time, without exception. NBR works too.

But - that's just me.

Sapient said:
If you can't be satisfied unless everything is perfect, you are going to have one unhappy life.

For me the 522 has been an excellent value. I am satisified because the problems I have are small compared to the enjoyment I get for the price I pay.

Dish Network Retailer Chat Tommorow! (Thursday 2/17)

522 Noise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)