Game over: NCAA won't renew licensing deal with Electronic Arts

Maybe nintendo has struck a deal with the NCAA,thus getting back at EA.I'm sure some game maker will have the rights to NCAA football.

I just read this on another site and it's bad news for college football fans. Even if they continue to make a college football game it won't be the same without the license. I never buy sports games in back to back years but I may have to change that this year. I bought last years game which has been great but I've played the demo of this years game and it's a pretty nice improvement.

I'm enjoying this years, usually get enough from them that I don't regret the annual purchase. When one football game gets a little stale I jump to the other, end up flip flopping a few times before the next versions come out.

It's clear from the PR they aren't licensing to anyone. I think they're getting out of the game pending litigation that could have some very costly damages associated with it.

What litigation?

Just read as others have posted that they can still have a college football game with the college teams as they fall under a separate agreement from the NCAA, it won't have the NCAA logo.

Have to make sure to get this years copy, it's been a couple years plus the guy on the cover was not to bad a player :)

Pretty soon college athletes will be paid to play.It's not enough to get a free education,and free room and board.

Pretty soon college athletes will be paid to play.It's not enough to get a free education,and free room and board.

Yup and if much of that has to come out of EA's pocket, in addition to damages from the lawsuit, the franchise isn't viable. It does OK in sales, but doesn't hold a candle to Madden. I am surprised that today when talking about this EA confirmed NCAA will make the jump to Next Gen consoles this year (just won't be out this year, basically skipping a year while other sports franchises are PS4/Xbox One launch titles).

Where the NCAA & EA got into trouble (and will likely lose the lawsuit for them) is using actual likenesses of the players.
Way back when, the games pretty much had generic players, but the last few years, the likenesses were identical to the players. People own their likenesses are have to be compensated for using them to make money (precedence based on the successful court case against NBC for licensing Norm & Cliff automatons without compensating the actors).

EA tried to get around this, by not including the players names, but anyone can look at the player info and tell who it is. If they had remained generic as they were several years ago, there would be no lawsuit. But EA tried to skirt the players rights, and now they & the NCAA will pay for it.

?

Personally I'd like to see the market open up and have other developers like 2K be allowed to make these games. If history has shown anything, when EA sports has an exclusive license then that sports' games will suffer.

The end result of that lawsuit could mean we may never see another college aports game again from any company.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
I could live without them, but then again not everyone thinks like me (Thankfully.)

I used to buy NCAA Football every single year and spend lots of time with it. In high school and college me and my buddies played against each other all the time.

I haven't bought it for the last two or three years. I still have fun with those games if I'm playing against a friend but I'm not into it by myself. There are too many games with great campaigns for me to spend much time with sports or multiplayer shooters these days.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts