GameStop CEO: Microsoft's next Xbox "will be a very hot, compelling device"

I am looking forward to see what both them and PS4 will bring to the table.

I am not as interested in the new one as I was in the past with the current one. I don't really play games right now due to health issues.

Why would GameStop like this? MS is trying to push the very business model GS uses out the door!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is probably nothing, BUT, the MS Studios creative director may have just confirmed that the new Xbox will require an Always-On Connection (Think Diablo 3 and SimCity.) When pressed about it, he said, "#DealWithIt"

http://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-man-on-always-online-consoles-deal-with-it--250855.phtml

Yeah, my son also reported that and told me he will #dealwithit by instructing me to not buy him the new box. He will switch to PC gaming exclusively.

My kids have ZERO interest in the PS4 and it will be surprising if they are interested in the XBOX 720.

For the past 3 months now they have really played nothing more then Mindcraft... they wont even play new games that we got them.

I find it amazing a 8 bit video game has them both so tied up. (One is 10 and the other is 18)

Well, there seems to be some confusion with the whole "Always-On" controversy. People with the SDK report that the "Always On" thing is not so much a DRM control, but rather a way to keep the system in a low power state but still keep it updated in the background. So rather than the current system where you'll boot up your system/game and be greeted with a "Game needs an update, please wait until it's updated" message, this will all be done in the background while your system is in a standby mode. Personally I think this is a pretty good feature. One of my big gripes with the PS3 is the constant updates done through their slow PSN system. When I booted up the new Metal Gear game I think it took me a good 10 minutes for everything to be downloaded and then installed before I could actually play the damn thing.

Well, there seems to be some confusion with the whole "Always-On" controversy. People with the SDK report that the "Always On" thing is not so much a DRM control, but rather a way to keep the system in a low power state but still keep it updated in the background. So rather than the current system where you'll boot up your system/game and be greeted with a "Game needs an update, please wait until it's updated" message, this will all be done in the background while your system is in a standby mode. Personally I think this is a pretty good feature. One of my big gripes with the PS3 is the constant updates done through their slow PSN system. When I booted up the new Metal Gear game I think it took me a good 10 minutes for everything to be downloaded and then installed before I could actually play the damn thing.

Yeah, I'm not worried about this in the slightest until they say flat out that the Xbox won't work without a broadband connection. Even then, I can't remember the last time our internet has gone out without the power going out. I really think it has been several years. Same thing goes for Xbox live. People keep saying we have to not just worry about our own broadband connection but also the Xbox live servers saying up and running. I can honestly say I don't remember a time that I tried to play my 360 and found that Xbox Live was down. I remember this happening a few times on the original Xbox but I think their servers are pretty rock solid.

I don't think they would see enough of a data surge by requiring every Xbox to be connected to Live that it would really cause Sim City - like problems. Right now just about everyone who connects their 360 to live probably just leaves it connected to broadband so it is on live every time you turn it on anyways. The 360 was a massive success in the US. They are probably seeing more data hit their servers right now than they will due to the launch of the next Xbox. They would be extremely lucky to match the 360's sales. All they really have to do is have enough capacity to cover the launch. They will know how many units they produced so it shouldn't be that hard to figure out the maximum server capacity they need to cover it. After launch they will never see a such a huge influx of new users at once again so they can bump up server capacity over time as needed. They have over 40 million gold members already. The server capacity is already there.

I cant wait to see what its going to do!!!

According to the internet it's going to require an always on internet connection to play single player games, no used games and the games cannot be played from the optical drive they have to be installed to storage. Of course not everything on the internet is true but you would think that if these rumors were out right lies Microsoft would hold a press conference because every piece of news I hear about the next gen Xbox makes the PS4 look like the better alternative even though it has no native backwards compatibility -- including PSN purchases.

I don't think they would see enough of a data surge by requiring every Xbox to be connected to Live that it would really cause Sim City - like problems.

That is not 100% of the issue. The main issue is if the game requires you to be logged online to play then what happens when they no longer support the game and they shut the servers down. The game will no longer work so essentially with your $60 you paid Microsoft to rent a game until they shut it down. After that you have a $60 coaster. They are trying to change the terms of consumer ownership.

Last edited:
There's no truth to the "No Used Games" rumor. MS would look dumb being the only console banning it, and honestly, for as much as game publishers complain that Gamestop is cutting into their bottom lines and hurting them, they sure are showing it in a weird way by constantly giving Gamestop exclusive promotions for new releases of games. Let's just wait until the Xbox event in May rather than deal with this constant speculation on how Microsoft is going to try and screw over their consumers.

According to the internet it's going to require an always on internet connection to play single player games, no used games and the games cannot be played from the optical drive they have to be installed to storage. Of course not everything on the internet is true but you would think that if these rumors were out right lies Microsoft would hold a press conference because every piece of news I hear about the next gen Xbox makes the PS4 look like the better alternative even though it has no native backwards compatibility -- including PSN purchases.

I agree. It would be nice if they would come out and put all the rumors to bed. They aren't going to acknowledge anything until the console is actually announced though. They aren't going to comment on rumors about a system that doesn't officially exist.

That is not 100% of the issue. The main issue is if the game requires you to be logged online to play then what happens when they no longer support the game and they shut the servers down. The game will no longer work so essentially with your $60 you paid Microsoft to rent a game until they shut it down. After that you have a $60 coaster. They are trying to change the terms of consumer ownership.

Even if this always online requirement is true I doubt it will be done on a game by game basis. No, the servers probably won't still be supporting 2013 games in 40 years but I'm pretty confident that you will be able to play any game released for the next Xbox throughout that console's life cycle. I think if they did this it would be a simple check in to Xbox Live supported by all games universally.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's confusing multiplayer server support with simple online DRM. This is something which anyone who plays a game no logged in as the person who bought it, and not on the console that it was purchased on (and haven't transferred rights to) have to deal with already.

I think people are getting carried away with this always on talk, it could be as simple as Xbox remaining in a low power state, constantly getting updates and keeping up where you were so when you fire it up to play a game you don't get the whole this game requires a update to play. I highly doubt the next xbox will have DRM where it wont play used or borrow games, I think that's foolish talk.

I think people are getting carried away with this always on talk, it could be as simple as Xbox remaining in a low power state, constantly getting updates and keeping up where you were so when you fire it up to play a game you don't get the whole this game requires a update to play. I highly doubt the next xbox will have DRM where it wont play used or borrow games, I think that's foolish talk.

Especially with this GameStop endorsement.

Rumors today that it is basically googletv + Xbox.... which if I'm doing my math right is my dream console. HDMI pass through so that it cab be left on and the ui overlays on top your video TV signal until you launch a game/app.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

As I said before, Microsoft will be BEYOND DUMB to use an always online system to implement DRM. Also quite frankly consoles don't have issues with piracy like PC Games do. Yes it is possible to play pirated games on consoles but usually they require hardware mods, they void your warranty, and your console gets banned from playing online. So really implementing an always on system as a requirement for gameplay makes no sense from a practical standpoint nor a business one. Like I said, let's just wait until M$ has their event in May and hope also that it's more than Sony's simple "We're not making the same mistakes we made last time around and here's some random gameplay footage." Given the criticism M$ lobbed at Sony after their presentation I think we're in store for something better at least in terms of presentation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)