Gas Price Info With National Gas Temperature Map

Gas prices took a big spike throughout the whole Great Lakes Region thanks to refinery problems and pipeline problems in Chicago. Average price in Detroit is now $4.04 and rising. Looking at the heat map, gas prices throughout the great lakes region are now just as bad as California.:mad:

Gas prices took a big spike throughout the whole Great Lakes Region thanks to refinery problems and pipeline problems in Chicago. Average price in Detroit is now $4.04 and rising. Looking at the heat map, gas prices throughout the great lakes region are now just as bad as California.:mad:

Yeah...I am about 40 miles from Chicago - I filled up at 3.83 a gallon on Tuesday, Wednesday morning it was up to $3.99 and on Thursday morning it was up to $4.29 a gallon...

Yeah...I am about 40 miles from Chicago - I filled up at 3.83 a gallon on Tuesday, Wednesday morning it was up to $3.99 and on Thursday morning it was up to $4.29 a gallon...
46 cents in a week? That retailer and others following suit are gouging.
The market prices for gas and oil have been rising, but nowhere near the amount to justify that kind of increase.

I was in Upstate NY for a week. Gas rose about 10 cents from last Weds through yesterday.
Here in the Charlotte,NC area. gas was in the low $3.30's last week. Prices are around $3.50 per gallon.
Checking commodity prices, the September 2012 contract fro unl reg gas closed at $2.98. However, the December 2012 contract closed at $2.54.
That tells me this price spike is just that. A spike. It looks like gas prices will continue to rise until Labor Day then fall off with the end of the summer driving season.
Just saw a story about a Chevron Oil refinery fire that has production shut down. This refinery produces 15% of the gas used in California. Yet, commodities traders ran up the market price for both gas and oil which of course effects the
price we ALL pay.
California prices are predicted to rise another 40 cents on top of the the thirty cent increase already seen statewide.
Fired Up!: Gas Prices Set to Rise for Rest of 2012?  - US Business News Blog - CNBC

$3.79 here. Went up 0.60 in a week.
Looks like this is a distributor thing. I think the distributors who by the way are THE people who set retail prices, see the futures prices for the end of this year. The December 2012 contract is 50 cents per gallon lower than it is now. I think the distributors are trying to maximize profits now before market prices fall this autumn and winter.

Looks like this is a distributor thing. I think the distributors who by the way are THE people who set retail prices, see the futures prices for the end of this year. The December 2012 contract is 50 cents per gallon lower than it is now. I think the distributors are trying to maximize profits now before market prices fall this autumn and winter.

That's crazy. We have a plant right here making gas and yet we pay more than places over 100 miles away from us and they get their gas right here.

That's crazy. We have a plant right here making gas and yet we pay more than places over 100 miles away from us and they get their gas right here.
The prices of crude oil and gasoline left the laws of supply and demand long ago.
There is really no rhyme or reason other than the fact that the method by which these two commodities are traded needs an overhaul.
The main problem is traders do not have to: take possession of the product; have much of their own money invested in a trade; study supply and demand charts before making trades.
The other issue is the amount of money IN the oil and gasoline markets. Years ago the main source of trades was commodities traders funds. These were people who "played the markets". High risk stuff. Traders made purchases or sale calls and they were stuck with them until the contract was up. Today, not only can they buy and sell in an instant, they can bet the market both UP and DOWN.
unless there is a remarkable and unpredictable market change, commodities traders NEVER lose money.
Meanwhile we have the consumer who is constantly being told, "Just drop your shorts and bend over. This won't hurt a bit."
These wild price spikes where pump prices rise 30 ,40 or 50 cents per gallon in less than a week are essentially a tax on consumers. They slow the economy because when people drive by the station and see the price of gas has gone up a lot they start thinking about how they can spend LESS on other things.