Gas station dishes - good for FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

giraffejumper

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 10, 2006
The big credit card dishes on gas stations look like they would make make great stationary FTA dishes.
Or either smaller c band dishes.
Any one ever used one?
I work at the airport and we have (as most do) a WSI weather dish on the roof. I think it is made by Channel Master.
It also looks like it could bring some channels in.
If these would be good - I'll start asking around to see if people no longer need theirs. (there are a few places going out of business, but I suspect the companies that own these would come back for their equipment)
-phil

Chances are pretty good that those data dishes aren't the right frequency for picking up television signals.

The big credit card dishes on gas stations look like they would make make great stationary FTA dishes.
Or either smaller c band dishes.
Any one ever used one?
I work at the airport and we have (as most do) a WSI weather dish on the roof. I think it is made by Channel Master.
It also looks like it could bring some channels in.
If these would be good - I'll start asking around to see if people no longer need theirs. (there are a few places going out of business, but I suspect the companies that own these would come back for their equipment)
-phil

That dish will definitely work for FTA. I also have tested a Channel Master Like that one. The LNB has a 50% chance of working fine for you, if not you can get a replacement ku lnb very cheap.

Those are usually high-quality dishes, would be a great fta find. Some of them are more than 1m also (still could rig a motor on it) LNB can be replaced if needed. Got my eye on a bigger channel master at the local welfare office, but I doubt they get rid of it any time soon lol

I picked up one from one of our local supermarket , they had it in the trash, I just luckily parked where I could see the dumpster. I took it
to my barber, we placed it on his roof ,It worked great on G10 sat. I was able to get the sled also with it.
good luck hunting for one

Chances are pretty good that those data dishes aren't the right frequency for picking up television signals.
I should have stated in my first post that I would add my own lnbf to it if possible!
They stopped paying for the service on the one here at work a while back.
Wonder if they really need that thing up there with the non-invasive stand!......
-phil

Did you ever notice the black covers they install on those gas station dishes in the winter months? Here in NY, I noticed that they pull this fabric type elastic cover of the front of the dish and then someone removes them in the Spring. Several of my local convenience stores do this.

I picked up a 1.2m channel master from just such a station. I tried using a bsc621 thinking I might boost the signal, but I couldn't compete with the ku lnb that was already on the dish. I get a 20% signal increase than my P* dish!!!

I vouch for the Channel Master 1.2 meter dish. I found one a few months ago while on the way home. It belonged to a Cafe that use to subscribe to Primestar years ago. They gave it to me on condition that I also pull the pole and fill the hole. The dish is like new!
I replaced the Primestar 1 meter with this dish and notice better reception! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)