GBTV

ShaneLinder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Texas
I am not sure where this thread belongs so please move it if there is a better place.

Glenn Beck has started his own TV network with some sort of online streaming television. I am not sure exactly what the technology is or how it works. I think Sky Angel offers an online television package and maybe that is similar to what Glenn Beck is doing.

I use to like Beck before he went on FOX and wasn't too political but am not much of a fan any more however I am intrigued about what he is doing with this new channel.

I have never known Beck to be anything but political---or occasionally religious/spiritual. Bu I suspect that we will see more of this type of thing. I would be intersted to know where to discuss them

That is a scary thought. LOL. When FOX News fires you for being too ignorant and crazy, maybe it's just time to retire. LOL
When you can get ratings, be your own boss, and have more freedom to discuss what you like, it doesn't matter if you are crazy, ignorant, and a-hole, rude, or the opposite of all that said. Even though Fox may have let him go, his ratings were high. No reason to think they wouldn't with his own network, and thus no reason to think retirement

Well the problem would be whether the marketplace is ready for this. But his ratings had declined and some advertisers did not want to touch him. That plus the technical issues and whether his fans would be willing and able to follow him are open questions.

BTW I never accused Beck of being any of the things you mention. I just said he is political (and sometimes discusses religion/spirituality). But I suspect that others will try this as well and perhaps adiscussion about the viabilty of this delivery method is in order. anything about Beck in particular is likely to get the thread closed.

Last edited:
Well the problem would be whether the marketplace is ready for this. But his ratings had declined and some advertisers did not want to touch him. That plus the technical issues and whether his fans would be willing and able to follow him are open questions.

BTW I never accused Beck of being any of the things you mention. I just said he is political (and sometimes discusses religion/spirituality). But I suspect that others will try this as well and perhaps adiscussion about the viabilty of this delivery method is in order. anything about Beck in particular is likely to get the thread closed.
I realize you didn't state any of the things I mentioned, I just used those as examples

Last edited:
Beck use to say he would leave the politics up to Hannity and Limbaugh. He did a lot of slapstick humor until he got put on CNN and later FOXNews. I read one article about his GBTV that stated if he gets 50,000 subscribers he will make more money off from it that his contract with FOX was paying him. His ratings at FOX had dropped a bit but so had everyone elses at FOX. His problem was that many of the sponsors didn't want to touch him anymore. This type of internet web-streaming doesn't need sponsors since the consumer is paying a $5/month subscription fee. However that comes out to $60/year. Compare that to a magazine subscription.

At $20,000/month +/-, I would think it would be better to broadcast on FTA and seek advertisers. Beck still has a huge platform on his radio show and I would think it wouldn't be that hard to encourage listeners to buy FTA systems. This is what we see a lot of religious organizations doing. They go FTA and encourage their followers to buy the system. Perhaps he has a contract with FOX that prevents him from doing that.

I don't want to focus so much personally on "Beck" but on this internet streaming delivery of media. Regardless if it is a political commentator, sports organization or Religious group... how attractive is this type of media when compared to other options like FTA or IPTV?

Leo Laporte seems to be making money with a similar operation-----but he had ads instead of subscribers (though many people donate). I am not sure how well Revision 3 does. R3 seems to expand and contract pretty regularly.

BTW I do remember Beck asa Morning Zoo type DJ back in the 80s but i thought he abandoned that idea.

anyway we will see if this can be done with a subscription model. then contract

That is a scary thought. LOL. When FOX News fires you for being too ignorant and crazy, maybe it's just time to retire. LOL
He wasn't fired, he was the one that decided to leave. At least that's what he says, and FOX has not disputed that.

I think he decided to leave because FOX gave him a choice to leave or be let go. I am sure there is enough popularity for an online channel, but his rhetoric scares the hell outta me.

No flaming? My post was about ratings

Anyway, back to the topic
[h=2]Beck outdraws Oprah and Olbermann[/h]
From Politico: “His two-hour version of the Glenn Beck show launched in September with 230,000 subscribers, a better showing than the 156,000 viewers that Oprah’s cable network, OWN, attracted on average in June. It’s a tiny fraction of the roughly 2 million people who watched him during his time on Fox, but with each of his current viewers paying either $4.95 or $9.95 a month, it won’t take too many more viewers for him to replace the revenue from his $2 million Fox contract, even after production costs.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts