Gemini Air - New DirecTV Stream Device

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
News of a 1,000 customer trial of a new Gemini Air device for DirecTV Stream hit Reddit today:

The devices for trial were gone in a few hours, but it is a clear sign that DirecTV plans new hardware for the DirecTV Stream service.

The Osprey seems to be repurposed to Gemini for Satellite customers. I could certainly see a future where the Gemini has the DECA built in versus the external DECA, but with the growth of wireless services and the low cost of DECA modules, they may just stay with the Gemini as they have it in the trial today, and this new Air device is their streaming option.

It would be really nice if it were a faster hardware to improve on the Osprey, but based on other small dongle type devices that isn't super likely (though completely unknown at this point).

Based on prior records, it is expected the hardware is model P21KW:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/DirectvStream/comments/12aqtqx/new_official_device_gemini/

1680559971066.png

An internal employee posted this update:
Beginning 4/3: a new device, Gemini Air, is available for select existing DIRECTV STEAM customers as part of a pilot.

There is no difference in customer experience. Same interface as normal Gemini

Gemini Air provides an easier install setup and better WiFi benefits with improved technology.

Select customers will receive an email on 4/3 to participate to test it (limited to the first 1000 participants)

Call center and retail employees don’t have the ability to order the Gemini Air at this time.

Is capable of 4K with HDMI 2.0

Devices will be shipped around the week of 4/10

If customer sees error when trying to participate, please continue to try.

Reactions: dfergie
For what it is worth, the 2019 Osprey uses Broadcom BCM7271. The 2023 Gemini Air uses Broadcom BCM72180.

AndroidTV Guide shows the 2019 device is 1.6Ghz Quad core processing, the new device is 2.6Ghz Quad Code processing, so that is a potential positive sign.

Really stinks that the new satellite hardware is 4 year old streaming hardware but I guess take what you can get when it comes to DirecTV hardware these days.

Reactions: Tecnicoloco
I heard that they were also considering a new device (normal looking device - not dongle) to replace the existing Osprey box. Is there any truth to this? I’d love to get an upgraded box that is faster. Our DirecTV stream box can be so slow at times.

I heard that they were also considering a new device (normal looking device - not dongle) to replace the existing Osprey box. Is there any truth to this? I’d love to get an upgraded box that is faster. Our DirecTV stream box can be so slow at times.
Probably not at this point. The box was proposed well before this device. The thinking seems to be the box was scrapped for the dongle. Not that it matters as the dongle has the same specs as the proposed box

Really stinks that the new satellite hardware is 4 year old streaming hardware but I guess take what you can get when it comes to DirecTV hardware these days.
I have to think that there haven't been any more of the original Osprey/Gemini boxes manufactured for awhile now and there won't ever be any more made. Don't know how many new and used ones they still have in stock though. But once they exhaust their supply of those boxes for satellite customers, it seems very logical that they'd start using the newer Gemini Air for that use-case, just as they're going to use them for streaming customers too.

For what it is worth, the 2019 Osprey uses Broadcom BCM7271. The 2023 Gemini Air uses Broadcom BCM72180.

AndroidTV Guide shows the 2019 device is 1.6Ghz Quad core processing, the new device is 2.6Ghz Quad Code processing, so that is a potential positive sign.
Geekbench results for the new P21 dongle versus the original C71 box reveal that the dongle performs significantly better. Also, the label on the dongle bears the Dolby Vision logo, so it's reasonable to conclude that it supports that feature while the C71 does not (it only does regular HDR formats).

I know there is currently no DirecTV 4k streaming channels, but won't the Osprey stream 4k today?

I just wish HDR would turn on and off automatically based on the content rather than manually having to do that (which I never do because it's a pain, I stream everything else through the TV which handles HDR quite well).

Question, and sorry if already answered, does this new device do 4K ? like Dodgers and Red Sox 4k games?

I know there is currently no DirecTV 4k streaming channels, but won't the Osprey stream 4k today?

I just wish HDR would turn on and off automatically based on the content rather than manually having to do that (which I never do because it's a pain, I stream everything else through the TV which handles HDR quite well).
The Gemini firmware version of Osprey does support 4k. The streaming version supports 4K on apps but DirecTV Stream does not offer 4K streams. The HDR always on is a common complaint for this box. Others complain that it doesn't support Dolby Vision. There was a reference to that in the manual, but it has yet to make become available, and doubtful it will at this point.

Question, and sorry if already answered, does this new device do 4K ? like Dodgers and Red Sox 4k games?
The new streaming device does support 4K in apps like Netflix/Amazon. DirecTV Stream doesn't offer 4K streams at this point. If it does in the future, I would expect this hardware to support it, but there has been no communication or even rumors about 4K coming to DirecTV Stream.

The Gemini firmware version of Osprey does support 4k. The streaming version supports 4K on apps but DirecTV Stream does not offer 4K streams. The HDR always on is a common complaint for this box. Others complain that it doesn't support Dolby Vision. There was a reference to that in the manual, but it has yet to make become available, and doubtful it will at this point.
So you're saying if I put the Netflix app on the Osprey it'll play 4k Netflix shows, correct?

So you're saying if I put the Netflix app on the Osprey it'll play 4k Netflix shows, correct?
As long as you pay for the 4K version of Netflix at $20 a month.

My Fiber ISP is now offering Gemini boxes and DIRECTV.

Reactions: John2021
My Fiber ISP is now offering Gemini boxes and DIRECTV.

So it looks like they'll sell DirecTV via Internet through their dealer network. I can't recall but I don't think they sold Stream through dealers, I could be wrong there, but they did sell Stream in the AT&T stores.

So it looks like they'll sell DirecTV via Internet through their dealer network. I can't recall but I don't think they sold Stream through dealers, I could be wrong there, but they did sell Stream in the AT&T stores.
the local Telco here in Mankato (Consolidated) is getting out of their cable TV operation and partner with Directv Stream. We got Directv Stream at the complex a month ago (cable and internet are included in our rent)

So the Gemini Air is now the normal equipment offered for ”by internet” signups. Appears they feel it is ready for prime time.

did anyone get one of the initial Air’s? If so, how is the performance now? I sure hope the software has improved as the initial user feedback had frequent slowness despite being a faster chipset than the Osprey box. With clean software it should be a better hardware option for streaming service.