Gemini Air - New DirecTV Stream Device

The cutoff aligned with when they launched the DirecTV via Internet product. They removed the option to order hardware from new stream only BYOD accounts. That said, if you can find a used one, or want to pay retailer prices for a new one (solid signal $199 is the only one I know of, which is really high since retail is $120). If you get used keep in mind there is a slight change DirecTV could disable it if someone signed up under contract, didn't pay, and didn't return the device. No reports of that but it happens all the time with cell phones. Also make sure your seller has turned off auto-sign-in so you can login with your account. I've only seen a few show up on eBay but there has been a few out there. Might be best to get an Osprey box for under $50 and check back in a year when DirecTV starts trying to move refurbs cheaper.

I own several osprey/gemini boxes.
I would like to purchase a gemini air for use in my vehicle while traveling.
I tested using a hotspot from my cell this am and it works perfectly. No reason it shouldn't work while going down the road.

I keep getting leaflets to upgrade to the Gemini at no extra cost. And I was wondering if there is any good reason to do it? I have Smart TV's that get all the apps and they don't have D internet TV here in the sticks.

they don't have D internet TV here in the sticks.
I am not sure I understand your meaning,

Do you not have the internet to utilize the apps on your smart tv?

If you do, then there is nothing to stop you from getting a device that has the D Stream app (if your tv doesnt have it in its app store) and watching Directv Stream.

Obviously if you do not have sufficient internet, then it wont work.

I was just confused.

Reactions: Plywodstatebum
In another spin further into redicilious territory, DirecTV via Internet is now a "Leased" Gemini Air with the option to lease more for $7 each matching the satellite service. Just terrible to see this continued money-grab for multiple rooms. I thought they got past it when they would "sell" additional Gemini Air's for $10/month for one year. Yet another step backwards.

This screenshot would be for 3 TV's, one included, two at $7/month:

1700087059329.png

• Wow
Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
In another spin further into redicilious territory, DirecTV via Internet is now a "Leased" Gemini Air with the option to lease more for $7 each matching the satellite service. Just terrible to see this continued money-grab for multiple rooms. I thought they got past it when they would "sell" additional Gemini Air's for $10/month for one year. Yet another step backwards.

This screenshot would be for 3 TV's, one included, two at $7/month:

View attachment 166563
well now i am confused.So i signed up oct 30 and got one free air and bought outright 2 air.so is this new lease deal worse?Looks like no more 15 dollar a month fee?

Last edited:
well now i am confused.So i signed up oct 30 and got one free air and bought outright 2 air.so is this new lease deal worse?Looks like no more 15 dollar a month fee?
Yeah the lease is worse. Still has the $15 ARS fee, a $7 fee for each Gemini Air (forever, not just for the first year), and have to return the equipment when you leave (or pay $120 fee, versus owning it and not having to send it back).

They're a simple Android TV dongle, retails all the time for under $50. Probably cost DirecTV $25 or less to make, including the remote, adapter, packaging, etc. A lease model on streaming hardware is just crazy.

Here is an example for Choice with three total Gemini Airs. $113.99 plus the RSN fee (not shown). Includes $15 ARS and $7 per Gemini after the first.
1700167678643.png

Reactions: trido
Yeah the lease is worse. Still has the $15 ARS fee, a $7 fee for each Gemini Air (forever, not just for the first year), and have to return the equipment when you leave (or pay $120 fee, versus owning it and not having to send it back).

They're a simple Android TV dongle, retails all the time for under $50. Probably cost DirecTV $25 or less to make, including the remote, adapter, packaging, etc. A lease model on streaming hardware is just crazy.

Here is an example for Choice with three total Gemini Airs. $113.99 plus the RSN fee (not shown). Includes $15 ARS and $7 per Gemini after the first.
View attachment 166590
Plus, you are paying the same as DTV via Satellite and getting less channels.

View attachment 166590
But this is now a NO CONTRACT deal? I am now stuck for 2 years , now thinking if I get that 300 visa card is the contract worth it. Well doesnt matter now as too late .

But this is now a NO CONTRACT deal? I am now stuck for 2 years , now thinking if I get that 300 visa card is the contract worth it. Well doesnt matter now as too late .
Their new lease model for DirecTV via Internet is still a two year commitment. The only change is extra boxes are $7/month forever instead of $5/month for 12 months then you own them. DirecTV retains ownership so by leasing them they can charge the per-box fee forever. For a customer getting two Genie-Air's, the first year is $24 more than previously, and the second/future years is $84 more than previously.

Just wondering and I appreciate your knowledge,
I've been considering the new Gemini, but I'm not sure if it's an "upgrade" for us. The person at DTV had difficulty answering my questions (she kept referring to a script, over & over) and I barely could understand her 'English.
I have a
1-HR54-200
1-C61k-700 4K
3-C41w-100 mini's

I DO understand its streaming capabilities, but along with that, is it worth a hardware upgrade?

Thanks!!

I definitely think the Gemini is an upgrade. Loving the fact that you can easily switch between streaming and DirecTV satellite with just a couple clicks, as well as the fact that it even has Google Assistant built in. So I could go to YouTube to watch some funny videos, and then switch back to, say, ESPN, just in time for MNF. Or I could ask the Google Assistant to play This Day In History, while watching The Weather Channel at the same time. Or I could simply say "tune to TNT" if I forget the channel number (which tends to happen a lot for me).

Reactions: trido