General Instrument DSR-1500S receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pestie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Spring Hill, FL
I bought a General Instrument DSR-1500S receiver on eBay for $40 or so. It was supposed to come with a user manual, but the seller forgot to include it. I asked them to send it, and they said they would, but never did. Such is life on eBay, I guess. Anyway, I have this very professional-looking (albeit a tad beat up) receiver and I haven't even hooked it up yet. It's supposedly compatible with Digicypher and analog signals, and I am hoping to use it for some of the FTA stuff out there in those formats. So, on to my questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience with this receiver?
2. Does anyone have, or know where I can get, a manual for it?
3. Is there anything I should know about it?

the unit is a simple analog receiver. It probably has a VCII (VideoCipher) box in it (might be pink or blue and can be removed)

You can get analog feeds with it and subscribe to the VCII channels (which are analog)
It WILL NOT work for digital channels (only analog).

It will work great for KU analog. I have a couple boxes just for that purpose :)

Well, it came in the original box and it says it does Digicipher (although it doesn't say DCII). I'd be perfectly happy if it did just analog, though. I've heard others on the forum talking about how they have DCII receivers and how they'll only work if they were ever activated, at least once, at some point in their life. I guess I'll just have to hook this thing up and see what happens.

uh oh...if thats true photoman, thne it wont work for analog KU....

wonder if it would work for FTA DCII stuff?

I actually have one but mine has no video output. I believe it does both videocipher and digicipher as it has lights for both on the front.

Wholeshoe

pestie said:
I bought a General Instrument DSR-1500S receiver on eBay for $40 or so. It was supposed to come with a user manual, but the seller forgot to include it. I asked them to send it, and they said they would, but never did. Such is life on eBay, I guess. Anyway, I have this very professional-looking (albeit a tad beat up) receiver and I haven't even hooked it up yet. It's supposedly compatible with Digicypher and analog signals, and I am hoping to use it for some of the FTA stuff out there in those formats. So, on to my questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience with this receiver?
2. Does anyone have, or know where I can get, a manual for it?
3. Is there anything I should know about it?

Pestie, the IRD will deliver Analogue video, both FTA and VCII along with DC-I mode A/B/C. I would not suspect too many DC-I signals around anymore..Phased out just like SA Phase II services....I won't give up any manuals but pm me if you want specific info that I can fax to you....

DC1 signals

Lyngsat lists two DC1 muxes:

PAS 9 3720 H 19510 3/4

Galaxy 4R 4180 V 19510 3/4

Wholeshoe said:
I actually have one but mine has no video output. I believe it does both videocipher and digicipher as it has lights for both on the front.

Wholeshoe
I have a DSR-4001, the DCII version of the DSR-1500 (they both look identical, but the 4001 gets Digicipher II instead of I). I do know that the 4001 must be activated, even for FTA DCII, but it also will receive clear analog.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)