Genie installed - a few questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DG1911

Original poster
Aug 10, 2016
Florida
Hello all.

Please skip to the questions if you don't wish to read the backqround. I would appreciate the advice.

Just some background ... I was a CATV installer, supervisor and Maintenance Tech for 15+ years. That was also some 15 years ago. I've had DirecTV service for 20 years. Regardless, I'm not very savvy with the newer tech and I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to computer type stuff. As should be clear, I'm not claiming to be a pro or expert, in the least. That said, I have some questions about a new Genie install and some of the equipment.

I had a Genie installed with 3 clients, one is a Genie mini 4K. This was an "upgrade" from an HD DVR and 2 HD receivers connected to a 4 output LNB. So first time SWM was installed in my system. It was an easy install as everything is on one side of the home. The installers (older gent, 15 years with Directv and younger trainee) were pretty good, work wise, but were wrong on a couple of points. I had the 4K mini installed with the HR54 Genie at the same location at the 4K big screen. That location is hard wired. I did not want to go wireless and I also wanted the Genie at the main TV location so I opted to pay for the additional mini. Here is the weirdness. The Installer told me that the 4K mini would only receive 4K programming, not the rest of the channels so I would have to switch between both the Genie and the 4K mini. Made no sense and I pretty much ignored him after inquiring once and hearing him fumble for an explanation. Also told me that my external drive would not be recognized nor work with the HR54 and only a DirecTV external would work. I quickly tested that theory last night and pleased to find out he was wrong. Maybe it was a sales pitch?

Here are my questions, if anyone is still with me.

First ... I had two cable runs behind the set from previous set up. I requested not to have a splitter behind the set so they accommodated ... sort of. No power inserter needed, the HR54 supplies the power, which was nice. So cable from HR54 to SWM outside, and cable back from SWM to 4K client. But, they installed a DECA with splitter to inject Ethernet into cable, then hooked up to 4K mini. My understanding, from some reading online, is that the DECA is not needed because Ethernet can be plugged directly into the Genie HR54. I removed the DECA and plugged directly into the HR54 and all seems to be working fine.
Is there any reason why I really need the DECA?

Second ... is there any setting to prevent recording to the DVR from the Genie Clients. I think I saw an option to prevent deletion and viewing, but not to prevent recording.

Third ... the install is all through outside walls and buried. They used flooded RG6, which is good. But continued flooded all the way to the equipment. The wall plates behind the main TV are feed-thru, no F81 barrels. I don't have any on hand but I will remedy that and transition to non-flooded. There was one on the back bedroom wall plate but I think the installer removed that. The cable to the far room was not replaced.
At any rate, installing flooded cable inside the home was a no-go (for potentially messy reasons) back in my CATV days and I cant see this as having changed over the past 15 years. Dumb question but is this a common practice for DirecTV? Or just lazy/poor installers? Honestly, I would not have found it if I hadn't had to replace fittings because I forgot to feed the cable through the wall plates (I lent a hand behind the TV, it's already a mess back there)

I'm sure I'll have more questions. I appreciate any input.

Thanks

So they installed a Hr54 and C61 on the same tv????

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

its the only way to get 4k to a tv
many people dont want to waste

you should have kept the other dvr/receivers and done no clients

Reactions: Troch77
Also Deca broadband connection is Supported.
The Ethernet connection is not.

That's why the installer used it.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

its the only way to get 4k to a tv
many people dont want to waste

you should have kept the other dvr/receivers and done no clients
Agree, you could have gotton the Genie a C61, and kept your HR.
The C61 could have went to your 4K tv, and the Genie could have just went to another TV.
HR to another, and another C41 to your 4th TV.

You could have went up to 7 tuners had you kept the HR, sure now you Have 5, But your entire system is also dependent on that Genie.
Not what I would call an upgrade.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Also Deca broadband connection is Supported.
The Ethernet connection is not.

That's why the installer used it.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Ok, help me out here cause like I said, I'm getting to be an old timer and not up on current stuff. Ethernet connection not supported in what way? Clients are up and running. Everything seems to be running. So, where am I going to have problems? Not arguing with you, just want to understand what I'm missing, what to look for that wont work without the DECA.

And I agree, it's not an upgrade. If I lose the Genie I'm SOL and they wont send you one, must be a tech. As far as the tuners go, I had plenty with just the two. Issue isn't the # of tuners, it's reliance on the health of that one box for programming.

Thanks.

Ok, help me out here cause like I said, I'm getting to be an old timer and not up on current stuff. Ethernet connection not supported in what way? Clients are up and running. Everything seems to be running. So, where am I going to have problems? Not arguing with you, just want to understand what I'm missing, what to look for that wont work without it.

And I agree, it's not an upgrade. If I lose the Genie I'm SOL and they wont send you one, must be a tech. As far as the tuners go, I had plenty with just the two. Issue isn't the # of tuners, it's reliance on the health of that one box for programming.

Thanks.
It just means it not supported by Directv
The installer has to install the supported method thats required by Directv
It doesn't mean it won't work ethernet.

I had my HR34 connected ethernet 10 minutes after the Tech left as well.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Ok, help me out here cause like I said, I'm getting to be an old timer and not up on current stuff. Ethernet connection not supported in what way? Clients are up and running. Everything seems to be running. So, where am I going to have problems? Not arguing with you, just want to understand what I'm missing, what to look for that wont work without the DECA.

if you ever have issues with the internet connection, directv will not be able to help
they only offer support for the official DECA connection

It just means it not supported by Directv
The installer has to install the supported method thats required by Directv
It doesn't mean it won't work ethernet.

I had my HR34 connected ethernet 10 minutes after the Tech left as well.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Ok, I got it. Works fine but not supported.
Kind of like them not supporting external hard drives I guess.

Thanks

if you ever have issues with the internet connection, directv will not be able to help
they only offer support for the official DECA connection

If I have problems with internet, I'll put the official DECA connection back before I call. :)

Thanks

as far as blocking recordings, no, there is no way to stop the clients from setting a recording that i have seen. its kind of counter-intuitive to the "whole home DVR" idea so they never programmed it in. as for flooded cable, sure its a little goopy when you put a fitting on, but never seen anything that said "DONT USE IT INSIDE!" i think you're probably fine. if you ARE going to install your own barrels, get the dark blue 3 Ghz ones.

as far as blocking recordings, no, there is no way to stop the clients from setting a recording that i have seen. its kind of counter-intuitive to the "whole home DVR" idea so they never programmed it in. as for flooded cable, sure its a little goopy when you put a fitting on, but never seen anything that said "DONT USE IT INSIDE!" i think you're probably fine. if you ARE going to install your own barrels, get the dark blue 3 Ghz ones.

There is an option in whole home to stop the other locations from viewing the playlist. Also an option to allow deletion only from the Genie. I really don't want to block recording or playback but I would like to block deletion from the clients. Neither option works. The clients can delete recorded material even with it set to disallow as well as view playlist even if I disable the options on the Genie. I was thinking maybe it's because of the external hard drive but that's a dumb guess. Anyway, I'd like to get the no delete option ironed out. Maybe it's still buggy.

As far as the cable, we used a flooded cable with a hard jacket. Always ran to a wall plate and transitioned from flooded with an F81/"barrel". It was stiff and lousy to use as an inside cable anyway. But, I have seen it done and I have seen it goopy on occasion. It was definitely a no-no-no and we didn't use it inside, as a rule. That said, I doubt it's anything other than a guideline. Maybe thinking has changed or it just was never an issue with the mini sat industry. I don't know. No big deal.

Thanks

The clients can delete recorded material even with it set to disallow as well as view playlist even if I disable the options on the Genie. <snip> . Maybe it's still buggy.

its not buggy, its just not supposed to work that way. if you had another receiver capable of viewing the recordings on your genie, THEY would not be allowed to delete, but the clients are an extension of the genie itself. ergo monkey see, monkey do.

As zashel says, it's not buggy. It is supposed to work that way, because the clients are really part of the Genie, share the playlist etc, you can't disallow that option. If you had real receivers, they the disllow and non-shared playlists works fine.

Got it. Thanks gents.

One more question for now. About the copy settings option. What exactly does that copy from another location? Is it just parental settings such as spending limits and the like? Or is it more than that?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts