Genpix phones home.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

B.J.

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Western Maine
I guess this isn't surprising this day and age, but I just noticed that every time I run my Genpix Skywalker-1, that it gets on the internet and calls www.genpix-electronics.com , ie 74.220.207.147 , and first gives the info that I'm running it with TSREADER, then it issues some GET LATEST VERSION command via html. Genpix then comes back with an html reply giving the date, and some info about it's server. I didn't see any info about the skywalker version being transmitted, but I may have missed it. When actually locking onto transponders, there isn't any communication, but when you later stop using the Genpix, it sends another packet. Sounds like they're at least logging time of usage and via what program the thing is being run. But it also seems like they have a back door via which they could be doing other things in the future.
I experimented by blocking their IP# on one of my routers, and the Genpix still works even when it's packets are blocked, so I may block it on my main router.
I just don't like it when programs and/or hardware goes onto the internet without permission. :mad: But I guess everything computerized does that now.

I guess this isn't surprising this day and age, but I just noticed that every time I run my Genpix Skywalker-1, that it gets on the internet and calls Genpix Electronics Store (Powered by CubeCart) , ie 74.220.207.147 , and first gives the info that I'm running it with TSREADER, then it issues some GET LATEST VERSION command via html. Genpix then comes back with an html reply giving the date, and some info about it's server. I didn't see any info about the skywalker version being transmitted, but I may have missed it. When actually locking onto transponders, there isn't any communication, but when you later stop using the Genpix, it sends another packet. Sounds like they're at least logging time of usage and via what program the thing is being run. But it also seems like they have a back door via which they could be doing other things in the future.
I experimented by blocking their IP# on one of my routers, and the Genpix still works even when it's packets are blocked, so I may block it on my main router.
I just don't like it when programs and/or hardware goes onto the internet without permission. :mad: But I guess everything computerized does that now.

I know TSReader at one time phone home too. This is why I like the firewalls that tell you anytime a program tries to connect on the internet when they don't need the internet! I block 'em!

i bet its for google ads. haha. jk. good to know tho. and genpix electronics is only one guy. ill ask him about this over at dvbn. i hope you dont mind a c/p of your post.

crackt out,.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)