Genpix skywalker1

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

wildbill47

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
northern California
Computer is receiving digicypher info but can not get video and audio to work on computer screen ? Running a 2.5 gig processor with 1 gig of ram on win xp.
The tsreader acts like it wants to send out on the internet rather to PC screen ?:confused:

Attachments

• 9-3-2010 9-19-50 AM.png
    9-3-2010 9-19-50 AM.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 509
  • 9-3-2010 9-21-27 AM.png
    9-3-2010 9-21-27 AM.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 626
Last edited:
Computer is receiving digicypher info but can not get video and audio to work on computer screen ? Running a 2.5 gig processor with 1 gig of ram on win xp.
The tsreader acts like it wants to send out on the internet rather to PC screen ?:confused:

I agree with the other response, however I see in your attachment that you're setting up VLC, so assuming that you have VLC installed at the location shown in your attachment, you should be able to just double click on the thumbprints at the right OR select a channel number at left, and go into playback/vlc/play , and it should play. If it doesn't play, you might try changing the port to 1234 instead of 1235, because for me, everything has always defaulted to 1235. I have used other ports, but I think I had to change VLC too.

One thing though, and that is the TSREADER LITE version only plays for 1 minute, then it quits.

When you do stream to VLC, however, even if you turn off VLC, TSREADER is still streaming, so if you have other devices, you can view the stream. For example, if I start VLC playing via TSREADER, once it starts I shut down VLC, then go to another computer or device (like popcornhour or ROKU or possibly Azbox?) on the LAN, and tell it to play the stream on the IP# of your computer, and it will play the video over the LAN.

I have a confession to make after reading the posts above I found a version of TSREADER on a sharing site it was older C revision but wanted to find out if my problem could be fixed before buying the current version. Both the TSREADER LITE and C version had the same problem playing video/audio. Would play for a short time and stop. I did change port to 1234 that did help. If you see picture attached the 2.4 gig cpu is 100% capacity. I think that there is no operating room to play video content. I am wondering what computers others have and the CPU speed ? Tried different satellites with the same results. A problem I found with TSREADER is music only channels that are free can not be played. :confused:

Attachments

• 9-4-2010 10-21-37 AM.jpg
    9-4-2010 10-21-37 AM.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 328
is that a pentium4 2.4ghz ? cause those are pretty old and pretty slow.

if thats a core2duo 2.4ghz there should be zero problem, I use my 2.1ghz core2duo to play 1080i mpeg4 just fine.

you can upgrade that pc with a newer dual core amd for prob around $100

is that a pentium4 2.4ghz ? cause those are pretty old and pretty slow.

if thats a core2duo 2.4ghz there should be zero problem, I use my 2.1ghz core2duo to play 1080i mpeg4 just fine.

you can upgrade that pc with a newer dual core amd for prob around $100

While I agree with Updatelee that there might be some issues playing high bitrate HD with a regular 2.4 GHz computer, I can play HD with bitrates up to the ~18Mbps PBS bitrates with my 9 year old 1.8 GHz computers, and there should be absolutely NO reason why the OP shouldn't be able to play those music channels without maxing out the CPU usage.
Generally, I've seen very low CPU usage, less than 20% even when I have several other processes running, when playing music channels. Right now, I have Seamonkey, Pegasus, Excel, and FTP program, and a few other windows open all while playing the G28 DCII NET PBS HD channel (it has about 12.4 Mbps video), and I'm running about 70% CPU usage on my old 1.8 GHz laptop with the Genpix, using one of the newer version of both TSREADER and VLC, although the usage goes up a bit if I run the video full screen.
There are some issues that will cause the CPU usage to go up, however. Pegasus, my mail reader, will cause the CPU usage to go up to 100%, whenever it decides to pull mail in. Also, TSREADER will cause the CPU usage to go up to high values whenever it tries to display it's thumbprints, so if you have problems with CPU usage, you might temporarily turn off the thumbprints. I have seen a few other programs that seem to interact strangely, particularly some Visual Basic programs that I wrote myself, and with one computer I found that whenever a SATA hard drive would start transferring data, that one of my PCI card receivers would shut down. But with a 2.4 GHz computer of any kind, I really can't see ANY reason why you should have any issues playing music channels, SD video, or up to medium bitrate HD, unless you have some other program running which is a CPU hog. The older versions of VLC WILL give you problems with MPEG4 video, but the newer versions seem to work fairly well (not perfect) even with some HD MPEG4.
Also, I don't think that TSREADER is contributing much to the issue, because if you stop VLC, my CPU usage drops down to less than 10%, even though TSREADER is still streaming the HD PBS feed, so it's VLC that is the main CPU hog here. If you can get VLC to use your graphic card's hardware, it should help a lot. My graphic cards are so old that they don't have much video acceleration capability, so that doesn't help me much, but newer cards will cut down CPU usage a LOT from what I've read.
Anyway, I really don't think the computer is the problem here, although programs installed on the computer could be. It's also possible that the specific versions of TSREADER and VLC that you're using might have issues.

SD should be no problem on anything newer then 6 years old lol

But MHz isn't everything, my old amd sempron 1.8 could decode low bitrate mpeg2 hd but would stuter on any mpeg2 hd over 5mbps and would display 1 in 30 frames of mpeg4 lol

The kids netbooks with atom processors display low bitrate sd mpeg4 fine. But anything over 2.5mbps and they stutter.

But the 2.1ghz core2duo can play 17mbps mpeg4 hd fine. Prob higher just haven't tried.

Now days the processor arch is more important then MHz.

SD should be no problem on anything newer then 6 years old lol

But MHz isn't everything, my old amd sempron 1.8 could decode low bitrate mpeg2 hd but would stuter on any mpeg2 hd over 5mbps and would display 1 in 30 frames of mpeg4 lol

The kids netbooks with atom processors display low bitrate sd mpeg4 fine. But anything over 2.5mbps and they stutter.

But the 2.1ghz core2duo can play 17mbps mpeg4 hd fine. Prob higher just haven't tried.

Now days the processor arch is more important then MHz.

Yeah, my old desktop with a 1.8 GHz AMD, which is about 8 or 9 years old I think, would play the 18Mbps PBS HD fairly well, with a few stutters when I first tried it, however since then I've added so many other programs that it wouldn't do that bitrate at all. About a year ago I reloaded the OS, and switched from regular W2k to the W2k server, and updated service packs, etc. I was hoping that it would go back to being able to play PBS HD, and it did improve a bit, but was never quite the same. I concluded that even when I wiped the slate clean, the newer versions of other programs I put on now add so much overhead clutter to whatever computer you put them on, that they slow things down, but it's also possible that I wiped out some CODEC that did the job better too. My somewhat newer laptop, which is only about 4 or 5 years old, also has a 1.8 GHz AMD but with XP-home installed, and it does a bit better, but only if I go through the task manager, and remove processes that aren't necessary. I just pulled up a 17.3 Mbps PBS feed, and without doing any tweaking, I was getting freezes every couple seconds, but if I went in, and removed unnecessary processes, the video now plays much longer between freezes, typically a couple minutes between stopples. It does seem to max out the CPU, but that doesn't necessarily affect the video. I'm not sure if VLC is using one of it's capabilities to drop frames if the computer isn't keeping up, or not. But in any event, the 17 Mbps seems to be the critical bitrate for a 1.8 GHz machine... it can be done, barely, but you have to make sure nothing else is interferring. And anything faster doesn't work, at least with the video cards I have. I've been told that with a modern video card, even the high bitrate HD will work with a 1.8 GHz machine.
MPEG4 is another matter. Until recent versions, VLC wouldn't do MPEG4 at all. It would try to start playing it, then freeze, then maybe 10 seconds later put up another still frame, and this was regardless of bitrate. But recent versions seem to do SD MPEG4 pretty well. It can also do low bitrate (<10 Mbps) with occasional stopples, but above 10 Mbps, it gets pretty bad. I just tried a 23 Mbps MPEG4 feed (ABC), and similar to what you described, it seemed to do about 1 frame out of 30. I'd get a couple frames of video, then a second or two of freeze frame, then a couple more frames of video. In general, I usually don't bother trying to do anything but low bitrate HD on my computer. TSREADER will stream any of it to other devices fine though, provided the lan is fast enough.
It does seem like recent versions of TSREADER seem to have

It all comes down to money, you can try and make these old clunkers perform but honestly alot of the time its just simpler to upgrade.

I see a local shop this weekend has a AMD phenom X3 8850 2.5Ghz w/motherboard onsale for $89 I guarantee that would have no problem playing highbitrate 4:2:2 1080i mpeg4 HD no problem.

I telling people to upgrade as I myself have hardware I use daily thats 15 years old. It just hits a time in a products life when its time to put that product asside and give it a new role. I still use that old AMD sempron 2.4Ghz, just not very often. Sometimes I need a windows computer for flashing firmware of something. (I use linux and osx almost exclusivly btw) It gets turned on once or twice every 6 months. but im not going to throw it out because it still has a valuable use. just not very often.

Problem solved

If I had a tail it would between my legs. Thanks for the above posts as I have learned a lot about hardware and software.
The problem was default video driver when I needed Nvidia ge force driver.
I have a nvidea geforce 4go 32mb card 1600x1200 res and it ran ok for most applications on the xp default driver just not on TSREADER. I am running 10-20 CPU now
Now that the computer is working can explore "C" signals. .
Will be able to buy a copy of TSREADER now that the fear of $ loss is gone.

I like the Dell inspiron 8200 notebooks because they have serial ports and dual fans. Have one that has been working 3 years 24-7 on a internet voice app.

Thanks for the above posts as I have learned a lot. But still feel dumb for overlooking the video driver problem. At least it did not cause smoke to come out of PC as I have done in the past. :D

Good to see that the OP got the problem fixed. I wouldn't have thought of the video drivers as a cause, even though I've at times left the default drivers in computers when I couldn't find my driver disks.

But I wanted to respond to updatelee's post

It all comes down to money, you can try and make these old clunkers perform but honestly alot of the time its just simpler to upgrade.

I see a local shop this weekend has a AMD phenom X3 8850 2.5Ghz w/motherboard onsale for $89 I guarantee that would have no problem playing highbitrate 4:2:2 1080i mpeg4 HD no problem.

I telling people to upgrade as I myself have hardware I use daily thats 15 years old. It just hits a time in a products life when its time to put that product asside and give it a new role. I still use that old AMD sempron 2.4Ghz, just not very often. Sometimes I need a windows computer for flashing firmware of something. (I use linux and osx almost exclusivly btw) It gets turned on once or twice every 6 months. but im not going to throw it out because it still has a valuable use. just not very often.

I too use some very old computers daily. I have one old Gateway laptop that originally came with W95 that I later updated to W98. Up until a bit more than a year ago, I've been using it as my primary gateway to the internet, and still use it when it rains.
But for video stuff, I'd really like to upgrade to a faster computer, but the big problem I'm running into is that the newer computers and motherboards and OSs won't accept the older cards I need to put in them, and the newer cards won't do some of the tasks that the old cards do. So newer isn't always better, or at least it isn't better in all ways. I basically can't upgrade without losing some capability.
Basically, in my current computer, I have been using a bunch of PCI card devices, such as a Twinhan 1020a, TT3200, Broadlogic 1030, all of which have capabilities that are unique to some extent, so that I don't want to lose the capability. I used to have a couple other cards in there, like an Air2PC ATSC card, and a serial card, because I needed more than 2 serial ports, and I also used a PCI video card and used to have a PCI sound card.
I have since given up on the multi serial ports by putting those functions on other computers, and have replaced the Air2PC card with a HDHomeRun network ATSC tuner, but I still needed at least 3 and preferrably more PCI ports.
I started looking for a new motherboard a while back, and it seems like I cannot find a motherboard that has multiple PCI slots anymore. It seems like they have replaced the PCI slots with PCI-e slots. The PCI-e slots can save me one PCI slot, if I pick up a PCI-e video card, but I still need enough PCI slots for the old sat cards. It seems like all I can find are motherboards with a couple PCI-e slots and maybe 1 or 2 PCI slots.
It's also annoying that the newer motherboards and other hardware only have drivers for Windows-7, Vista, and sometime XP, while I'm kind of settled into using Windows 2000 on my main computer. I'm kind of resigned to the fact that I'll at least have to switch to XP, and I think that I won't have any major problems doing that, but I'm trying to find the hardware to put together a new computer before they force me to go to Win7, which again, won't allow me to use the old hardware.
Anyway, I really WANT to get a faster computer which is more capable of video processing, but I'm really having a hard time finding a motherboard which will allow me to mix the new with the old. I've always chosen computers or motherboards via the expansion capability, and it seems like now the trend is that the new motherboards don't seem to provide much in the way of expansion slots.
Anyway, upgrading often ends up in losing capability.

I started looking for a new motherboard a while back, and it seems like I cannot find a motherboard that has multiple PCI slots anymore. It seems like they have replaced the PCI slots with PCI-e slots. The PCI-e slots can save me one PCI slot, if I pick up a PCI-e video card, but I still need enough PCI slots for the old sat cards. It seems like all I can find are motherboards with a couple PCI-e slots and maybe 1 or 2 PCI slots.
Might I recommend the Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G, it has 5 PCI, 1 PCIe x1, and 1 PCIe x16 slots. It has drivers for Windows XP, Vista, and 7.
It's socket 775, which supports the Intel Core 2 Duo and Quad CPUs. It's about the newest you'll be able to find that still offers that many PCI slots.
Microsoft does not support Windows 2000 anymore, so it will be hard to find a new motherboard that does.

Might I recommend the Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G, it has 5 PCI, 1 PCIe x1, and 1 PCIe x16 slots. It has drivers for Windows XP, Vista, and 7.
It's socket 775, which supports the Intel Core 2 Duo and Quad CPUs. It's about the newest you'll be able to find that still offers that many PCI slots.
Microsoft does not support Windows 2000 anymore, so it will be hard to find a new motherboard that does.
Good choice for a mobo, I'm using a GA-P35-S3L with an E6600 proc with no problems for many years now. Need that parallel port for an old dot matrix printer that does not have USB:eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)