Trying to make reasonable decisions with the experience and knowledge of a novice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shankle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
florida
Don't get me wrong as this site is invaluable to me and I thank you for it.
However, from the knowledge of a novice how would you go about picking
a decent receiver after having been stung by Pansat twice? No more Pansats
for me. I have read good/bad things about the Openbox/Solomend, the Azbox,
the Pansat Tc1000hd and it goes on. Then there are at least another 50 receivers out there. How would you as a novice pick from all this? Don't tell
me to read on Satelliteguys as the terms used are over my head. There is
no thread for terminology on the site that I am aware of which would help
guys like me. Then usually the people giving advice on receivers is the one
they own which does not mean it's a good or bad receiver. Just the one
they are used to. This is not good enough information for a potential buyer.
IMHO what would help is:
Does the mfg. give support, a decent 50 page manual for novices, updates,
a forum to ask questions, terminology explained in the manual (for ex: Rs232)
don't just list this term, give what it is once in the write up and then abbreviate
to your hearts content, is the unit obsolete, I'm sure I have missed some.

How about a place on Satelliteguys that asks specific questions about what
you want in a receiver. Answer these questions and then it would give a list
of possible receivers that meet your criteria. This way Satelliteguys would
not be responsible for recommending a specific receiver. These questions
would have to be geared for the novice. Otherwise it is useless.

If I can get rid of the latest Pansat fiasco, I will need another one. Oh my god
what a horrible experience to go through.

Simple reason is that its impossible to objectively discern what you ( or me) like.

Some, if not most of us, have been through 20 or 30 different boxes over the years. FTA evolves like computers, which they are, really.

As new boxes hit the market, the old one get obsoleted. The demise of hacking has made our supply of boxes dry up considerably, so you don't have many new choices.

FTA isn't about perfection. And it won't be. Not as long as we use it as we do now. All you can do is ask questions, try boxes, and make your own decision about what you like and don't like.

Sorry I don't have a better explanation for you. I am sure some of the other fellows will chime in as well. :D

Thanks Stogie for replying,
I had a 12' paraclipse back in the analogue days. Nice dish.

I hear you but think that is a very expensive way to select a decent
receiver. Was trying to avoid more cost than necessary.

well one feature on this site i do enjoy and several of the boxes are still in use is the reviiews area that way you can look at the pic and read what the user thought & went through in the process . but like Stogie said they change constantly and everyone knows some certain features some people love and other hate.
Like the pansat most love it but , since it wasn't my first box ( yes the coolsat 5k was) it was kinda cumbersome for me . yes the meter was better but ... i knew the limitations of the coolsat meter and could use it effectivly. So each box in a way has its own feature that make it stand out . I won't say better , but makes it better for the user that like that feature.

it also falls back to support ( yeah i don't know how many have that now )

but for me the coolsat had what i needed and i tried to compare every future box to it and have yet to find one that seems to act like it , yeah there were a few that were close.
the coolsat was a basic box that had a good pretty fast blind scan , an average but quirky meter but was made it for me was the ease of use menu system.

Thanks Stogie for replying,
I had a 12' paraclipse back in the analogue days. Nice dish.

I hear you but think that is a very expensive way to select a decent
receiver. Was trying to avoid more cost than necessary.

Thanks for the kudos on the Para, I like it too.

Well, look at it this way. WE are doing the testing for YOU. There's quite a few of us trying boxes all the time, if you look in our sig lines you will see what we use. Make note of the names you see the most, and that will give you a real good idea of what works and what doesn't.

And trust me, I am a cheap as they come, I'll drive ten miles to save a nickel. All my boxes I went through got paid for by selling other boxes, picking up good deals on other things I could sell and use the money for new boxes. I haven't drawn a paycheck since 2002. I KNOW what living on a a budget means. :)

It didn't take long before i found out that buying a FTA setup wasn't like buying a new tv or computer.Not much in the way of reviews,stores and web sites to go to compared to the common electronic stuff we buy at a radio shack,best buy etc.Since FTA receivers (at least in this country) is a small market and unfortunately sometimes used for illegal purposes!Companies that make them have problems staying afloat and support can dry up quickly when a company goes belly up.Shankle!you have done your homework well!but sometimes even that may not be enough and bad results can happen when a choice has been made.I have read about just about any FTA receiver being made now or is still being sold as a new but not being made anymore till my eyes got bloodshot.I took a chance and bought after much research an it didn't go very smooth!Ended up with one defective G box and a bad actuator! Both new and just bought.You and i are not alone with having FTA problems!Many here have also had problems buying new FTA equipment and trying to get things to work out.This forum is great! One big family here to help each other out in times of victory and defeat.From what i have seen here! there seems to be not to many FTA receivers with up to date support from the manufacture.Two out of three receivers that i own now still have current and updated support!One is the sathawk/solomend/open box and the other a GeoSat Pro,The Azbox also has current support also.You may need to spend more money than you wanted!I know that i did but in a hobby like this it cant be helped sometimes.One last thought!I started a Thread a few weeks ago with a poll to see what our fellow satellite watches own for receivers!heres the link. http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/223864-what-s-your-primary-receiver-poll.html Take care! Stan.

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouraging words Stanleyjohn.
If you all want to see this industry grow, there needs to be a lot
of help for guys like me. I've had a very difficult time of it.

Thanks for this site and the guys that helped me.

Thanks for the encouraging words Stanleyjohn.
If you all want to see this industry grow, there needs to be a lot
of help for guys like me. I've had a very difficult time of it.

Thanks for this site and the guys that helped me.

I don't think FTA is/was ever meant to be mainstream. Its too complex for the layman in general to grasp without a LOT or reading and prior understanding. Plus the average suburban dweller cannot even have a c-band dish, and even a decent sized Ku dish is a problem in some areas. It isn't like analog was, 24 channels on a satellite, and just flip through until something pops up....and I don't think there is any equipment that can make it that easy.

In my case, my parents had a c-band dish back in the early 80's so I was generally aware, but when I fast forwarded to 2007 a LOT had changed, and I had to learn it over again.

FTA isn't meant for the general public as it is currently configured, DISH and Directv have that market covered. I remember in the 80's this idea was floated, back then they just called it DBS. They knew how it was in the 80's, if you had a c-band dish you either had a dealer who would take care of you with service/adjustments (and you dang well better have a deep pocketbook for that option) or you learned how to do it yourself. Even back then. So to me today's FTA is just the extension to what they did in the 80's. :D

Hi Stogie,
I see you have the azbox elite. What are your opinions of it?
Is there another model of the azbox that you now wish you had gotten?
How is the support in your opinion?
Did you have to buy any addons?
Approx. how much did it cost?
Is it an FTA box?

Hi Stogie,
I see you have the azbox elite. What are your opinions of it?
Is there another model of the azbox that you now wish you had gotten?
How is the support in your opinion?
Did you have to buy any addons?
Approx. how much did it cost?
Is it an FTA box?

In order:

I like the azbox, I have two of them...LOL

No I don't like the other models, too many reports of the blind scan malfunctioning, and other issues.

Support? For what?

No addons. What would I need that for?

I think mine cost 369 but they may be cheaper now. I was an early adopter.

I don't know what you mean by "Is it a FTA box?"

Hi Stogie,

Support in case something goes wrong.
I think I read that to get the latest goodies you needed an addon.
If I remember correctly, some of the azboxes are not receivers.
Might be confusing the azbox with others I have read about.
At my age that's entirely possible....

Have they solved the blind scan with the azbox elite?
Where do you buy one in the US?

Anything FTA

Have they solved the blind scan with the azbox elite?
Where do you buy one in the US?

Anything FTA

I don't know where you can buy here in the US but a google should yield some places to buy.From what i have heard!The elite still wont blind scan!What a shame!I bet they wouldn't be able to make them fast enough to supply new customers if it had a good blind scan. Owners of the Azbox usually get another brand receiver that can blind scan and piggy back it to the azbox.I was almost going to buy one until i heard of the blind scan issue plus these receivers ain't cheap.

Hi Stanleyjohn,
The azbox elite to my understanding has been around for years. They
have had plenty of time to solve the blind scan problem.
If they haven't done so it's useless to me.
That gets me back down to the tc1000hd and the openbox/solomend.
Unless I can be convinced otherwise.

If I may add, the Az Elite and earlier Premium models do not have h/w blindscan. The more recent ones like Az Ultra and Az Premium+ do have blindscan capability.

I am not being a salesman for Rick, but, if you want to buy any Az box in NA, I would get it from him. Simply because of the warranty and support, esp. the glut of failed power supplies for the Premium+ which was replaced promptly. His prices are a little higher than others, but, no hassles with replacements.

Hi Stanleyjohn,
The azbox elite to my understanding has been around for years. They
have had plenty of time to solve the blind scan problem.
If they haven't done so it's useless to me.
That gets me back down to the tc1000hd and the openbox/solomend.
Unless I can be convinced otherwise.

hmmm! The pansat tc1000.I heard that this is a replacement for the pansat9200HD.There is a link that chats about this new model but the posts all end around the end of march.Maybe someone here will give an update on this new HD receiver.If you decide on getting this new receiver make sure you get it with the optional s2 board. heres the link>>
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/206322-my-recent-exchange-pansat-usa-6.html

If getting a new receiver now, it should be the AZBOX Premium +. Now has new non-failing power supplies It has very good blind scan and gets every type of feed we want.

Like many here, I have many boxes and now use the AZBOX Elite(no blind scan), and the Pansat 9200 HD(with S2+ board).

Note on the AZBOX, it can be a complicated receiver. If by the sounds of it, you like things fairly basic, then this may not be for you. Probably the best receiver out right now, but fairly complicated if you like things more straight forward.

The AZBOX Premium + will be my next receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts