GEOSATpro DVR1100c: Confirmed USB 2.0 Drives

Glorystar1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
Roseville, California
Glorystar is assembling a list of external USB 2.0 drives that GEOSATpro DVR1100c owners are successfully using to record.

Only use this thread to post USB 2.0 drives that you have confirmed to function or not to function with the DVR1100c. It would be helpful to indicate if the unit worked directly out of the factory packaging without formatting on a PC or Mac.

Please do not use this thread for drive formatting issues or recording questions.

YES
Maxtor 500GB GB OneTouch 4 Plus

• Confirmed working directly out of factory packaging without external formatting
  • Ran DVR1100c formatting to assure compatibility

YES
Western Digital My Book 500GB Studio Edition WDH1Q5000N (USB, Firewire, eSATA)

• Confirmed working directly out of factory packaging without external formatting

NO

Western Digital 500GB My Book Essential Edition USB 2.0 External Drive - WDH1U5000
  • Unit has an automatic sleep power saving feature that cannot be deactivated. Unit repeatedly cycles through mounting and disabling. External formatting with SwissKnife made no difference as this power saving feature is part of the USB controller. Spoke with Western Digital Technical Support and this feature cannot be disabled.

NO

Acomdata 500GB Hard Drive Combo USB 2.0 / Firewire - D500UFAPE5-72

• Unit appeared to be able to be formatted by the DVR1100c and the C drive shows in the receiver's USB menu. Unit would initiate a recording, but would not finalize a recording.

Last edited:
I first tried a Maxtor 500 GB One Touch 4. According to the Maxtor spec sheet, the only difference between this unit and the Touch 4 Plus is the 4 Plus has a Firewire interface in addition to the USB 2.0 interface. Get the Touch 4 Plus! I had strange problems using the Touch 4. The receiver would be locked in record mode, the screen would be blank, when trying to play a recorded file (if the timer actually recorded it) the unit would display "Wrong File".

I swapped my Touch 4 drive for the Touch 4 Plus and all my problems went away. No problems at all! It works GREAT! Sure its more money but it works.

P.S. Brian, the GloryStar channel 3 slide on the new DVR unit says "plug in ANY USB 2.0 drive... You may want to think about changing that slide. :rolleyes:

Ken

Hitachi 1 TB External USB 2.0 drive.

Off the shelf external drive, not an enclosure. Similar found here: Hitachi - 1TB External Hard Drive - H31000U

I got this drive about a year ago for computer backups. Haven't used it too much and decided to give it a try on the new DVR and see if it would work.

So far so good. It formatted on the Glorystar fine and test records so far have worked well. I have not turned on the Time Machine function because frankly I'm not sure if this drive is really made to be writing data 24x7.

Not Recommended

Seagate Expansion 500GB. That's all the model number I could find. 5400rpm

I plugged it in and formatted it (FAT32) just on general principles.

InstantRecord. and it recorded. Playback, jerky strobe effect. Audio was ok, but the credits scrolled jerkily, like the tape was sticking. The dvr manual says this type of problem indicates the drive is too slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have working a Western Digital Elements 1TB hard disk.
P/N WDBAAU0010HBK-00
Model WDBAAU0010HBK-NETG
It came pre-formatted with NTFS, so I re-formated through the DVR1100c menu
MENU-UTILITY-USB-FORMAT
This worked fine for the Satellite box, but I could not read the recordings with my computer. I re-formated it again on my computer and now it works fine on both the satellite box and on my computer to transfer the recodings.
Please note that I have not tried the Time Machine Function, as it is currently turned off.
To format it on my computer I used the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool
(File name SP27608.exe) I have had problems with SwissKnife on 1TB drives, so now use the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool.

Edit- Seagate Expansion 500GB 5400 rpm, "NO"

Yes, not recommended.

Seagate Expansion 500GB. That's all the model number I could find. 5400rpm

I plugged it in and formatted it (FAT32) just on general principles.

InstantRecord. and it recorded. Playback, jerky strobe effect. Audio was ok, but the credits scrolled jerkily, like the tape was sticking. The dvr manual says this type of problem indicates the drive is too slow.

This post needs to be editted to "NO". I did record a few programs, but after a two or three successes, i am getting a consistent "Wrong File" message when I try to play it. It does show a reasonable file size, but won't play.

Richard

Confirmed Not Working

SimpleTech by Hitachi
Model: BOM 96200 -41001-061

After formatting with SwissKnife, the hard drive will not mount or be recognized by the receiver.

YES

YES

• Hitachi 500gb Xmobile
* Click the links to see drive availability via Google Shopping

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)