Geosatpro Hdvr1200 & Seagate Backup Plus Incompatible

SteveHW

Original poster
May 27, 2014
Lowden, WA
Ok, I am new here and if I am posting this in the wrong place would someone please point me in the right direction. I recently purchased a GloryStar system which came with the HDVR1200 receiver. After installation (which was way easier than I thought it would be) I started researching USB drives to use with it. The documentation for the receiver, which is very little, states that most USB2.0 drives formatted to FAT32 or NTFS should work as long as they have their own power supply. (that’s the way I read it) I wanted a drive that was durable and would stand up to continuous operation and decided that a desktop drive would be the way to go. I have used a lot of Seagate drives and had good luck with them and after reassuring my self that the Backup Plus line was truly backward compatible with USB2.0 (Seagate's information says so) I purchased a 2TB unit. When it arrived, I got it all ready to go, turned off the HDVR1200, plugged in the USB cable and then turned the 1200 back on. The receiver started up, showing the splash screen and then nothing but black. I tried to use the remote to change channel, volume, and several other functions but got nothing. The front panel buttons wouldn't respond either, only the power button worked to turn it off. I disconnected the USB cable and turned it on again and it worked fine. So I plugged it in again without powering down and after a few seconds a message popped up on the screen saying "No Connection" but behind the pop-up the channel was still playing. I disconnected the USB cable again and waited but the pop-up stayed, so I power cycled the receiver again and again it worked fine. I then took the Backup Plus and connected it to my Win XP laptop and after about 30seconds of installing drivers I could use the drive. I also tested it on my Linux desktop machine and it worked almost instantly. So I went to Seagate Support and asked them what they might know about the issue and because I assumed (incorrectly btw) that the problem was that the Seagate was trying to pull to much current from the USB port I asked them if they could check for me and then pass along what the actual current draw on the USB port was for that unit. Their response was that if I was having trouble with it working on my windows computer that they would be happy to help me, but that since I was trying to trouble shoot a problem with a DVR they couldn't. Then they said that a device might draw up to 1000mA from the USB port. That was not helpful. So, I cut up a couple of old USB cables and wired an Ammeter in series with the +5V wire and then connected it to my desktop computer and discovered that the drive only pulls 0.08 mA from the USB port. My conclusion is that because the Seagate is USB3.0 somehow the HDVR1200 receiver doesn't talk to the Seagate correctly so that it doesn't know to switch to USB2.0 and therefore the receiver freezes. I am hoping that a future firmware upgrade for the receiver will fix this issue. The moral here is don't try using USB3.0 devices that are backward compatible with USB2.0 with the GeoSatPro HDVR1200 at least for now. I hope this saves someone some stress.

I think that the drive "can" be used; however, the formatting process has already been done and the HD is used on "secure mode". One way is to partition the drive for use on multiple operating systems. The problem is, in today's world, once you have secured a drive, it already will not lose it's data and security. These cause extra layers to be used that make the free space only accessible to itself (their type handler); and formatting is prohibited. And if the drive can be formatted; it will lose all that is on it; a major problem if you want to use the drive differently. The way I know it can be done is by changing settings in Windows (and how it treats "drives" and then it won't format the drive differently than it should or can); so that it treats the drives differently (and supply's the drive back to you). Back-up, back-up, back-up is what the computer programmer's tell me@. All of what I offer is in my experience's with drives in general.

The formatted drive that works is a drive that the receiver's can format. This clear's the drive of any formatting that has been done before and put's its own "filing" system into; fat32 styled of the space it finds after formatting is complete. If you give it a drive, it must be prieviously formatted in multi-drive mode also; for the receiver to be able to use any space (the format). If the drive had format; it will be gone if the receiver formats it The secure mode of the drive in question is what makes the drive not allow such a format to exist on itself (for anybody to write to the drive). This makes it "in-compatible" or not work.

USB-III should be and is backwards compatible with USB-II

The problem you are having could be the power; or lack of amperage that the USB-III is asking for? Plug them all together on a powered usb hub?

Causing the receiver to "discount double check" the whole way?

Good luck.

Last edited:
Ok, I think that I follow your reasoning. I understand the drive part anyway. As to the current requirement, the .08 mA (and that is correct) was while it was connect to my desktop machine and functioning. My next question would be: Does the drive have to be formatted before the receiver can re-format it, or say could the receiver format a drive that has only been partitioned? Such as if I was to delete the current partitioning (if the drive will allow me to) and then repartition it from my Linux desktop machine, since it gives me more control over hardware, and then take it to the receiver and let it do the formatting. I don't know all that much about these receivers, will they give me an option as to what format it uses FAT32 or NTFS, as I would prefer NTFS over FAT. Actually I would prefer EXT4, but I am pretty sure that the receiver won't like that. I have already ordered a fan-cooled USB2.0 case and a 1TB SATA drive to put in it. If I don't need the drive to be pre-formatted, just partitioned, I will do it that way. BTW does anyone know when the 1200s updated firmware is suppose to be released? I am more interested in the manual at the moment as the one that is currently available is very lacking in content. Most of what I am doing is shooting in the dark with this thing, slowly getting things figured out. Many thanks for the reply richyrich!!!

I think that the drive "can" be used; however, the formatting process has already been done and the HD is used on "secure mode". One way is to partition the drive for use on multiple operating systems. The problem is, in today's world, once you have secured a drive, it already will not lose it's data and security. These cause extra layers to be used that make the free space only accessible to itself (their type handler); and formatting is prohibited. And if the drive can be formatted; it will lose all that is on it; a major problem if you want to use the drive differently. The way I know it can be done is by changing settings in Windows (and how it treats "drives" and then it won't format the drive differently than it should or can); so that it treats the drives differently (and supply's the drive back to you). Back-up, back-up, back-up is what the computer programmer's tell me@. All of what I offer is in my experience's with drives in general.

The formatted drive that works is a drive that the receiver's can format. This clear's the drive of any formatting that has been done before and put's its own "filing" system into; fat32 styled of the space it finds after formatting is complete. If you give it a drive, it must be prieviously formatted in multi-drive mode also; for the receiver to be able to use any space (the format). If the drive had format; it will be gone if the receiver formats it The secure mode of the drive in question is what makes the drive not allow such a format to exist on itself (for anybody to write to the drive). This makes it "in-compatible" or not work.

USB-III should be and is backwards compatible with USB-II

The problem you are having could be the power; or lack of amperage that the USB-III is asking for? Plug them all together on a powered usb hub?

Causing the receiver to "discount double check" the whole way?

Good luck.

OK Folks! I believe that I have discovered what was causing my problem with the receiver not recognizing the Seagate Drive. After getting nowhere with the Seagate I purchased a Sabrent external drive case and a 1 TB Seagate sata drive, installed the drive in the case and powered up the receiver with it attached via usb. Now this drive is usb2.0 but the receiver responded just like before. So I started thinking about the drives that had been reported to work with the 1200, all of them were 500 GB or less. So just for a test I took a 160 GB drive that I had laying around and put it in the Sabrent case. And what do you know, it worked perfectly. I know that the documentation for the HDVR1200 states that it can use up to a 2 TB drive, but at this point I think that it's limit is 500 GB, unless, formatting a larger drive with larger cluster size or something along that line might work. If that is the case I would really like to know what parameters are required for the receiver to function with a larger drive if someone knows. BTW does anyone know when the new firmware and updated manual are suppose to be released???

Thanks SteveHW; for your work at figuring it out has helped me too. Have you tried partitioning the drives yet to 500 GB clusters? Also, I wondered if the Seagate, since it is a backup device (made to back a certain other drive; maybe) that it might need "signing in"; or to have a partition for back-up made by the computer it backs up; and another 3 or 4 partition's also; to allow another device to use them as non-backing storage points.

The new manual for the hdvr1200 is here now; an updated new software is available now on G19; which puts in a new cam and allows manual entry of the pid info (new software).

richyrich, The my drive issue has sort of been put on the back burner here, as I now have a bigger more pressing project (building a garage). However, I have attempted to get some information from GloryStar (that is where I bought this system) about how a person could go about utilizing a drive larger than 500Gb by using alternate partitioning or formatting or any other methods. Their answer was to add a power supply to the external drive, because it can't get enough power from the receiver. I had clearly stated in my correspondence that I had separate power supply for my external drive. I responded to that emphasizing that point and I no longer am getting replies from them. If someone knows how to contact the manufacture or their U.S. representative, I would gladly discuss this with them. I do plan on doing some more testing when my building project is finished and I will post my findings. Oh, where may I acquire the new manual?

GloryStar (SatelliteAV) IS the tech support for the GeoSat receivers, they own the software and contract the manufacturing for their exclusive distribution.
Bob

This is maybe the answer; the 500 GB drive or smaller seems more reasonable. It is plenty and simple section on sized recording ability. The manual is at as sticky here; up at the Adventist glorystar forum entry. They are SATAV too. And many other programming providers; that is the channels produced and local digital tv broadcasts.

Thanks richyrich, I found the manual. It is an improvement, however not much new about the drive like I was hoping. I am sure that my wife will like the new manual though, she is the one I bought this system for and she uses it way more than I do.

In my experience, HDDs with automatic back-up feature are not usually compatible with DVRs. I recall Seagate providing software to allow the user to modify the operational characteristics of many of their drives. I never could get a standard 2.0 or 3.0 Seagate HDD to work reliably with most DVRs I have tested.

The HDVR1200 supports up to 2TB and this is native to the Novatek chipset. I have tested a WD My Book 1140, 2TB HDD, USB3.0, formatted to NTFS on the HDVR1200. It was recognized and works fine with a single partition. Something else is going on with your drives or controllers. Length of the USB cable or USB extensions can cause a lot of problems.

The list of supported drives on the website is a cut and paste of the drives that worked with the legacy DVR1100 STB, which only supported up to 500GB. These models were also tested on the HDVR1200 for compatibility.

In my experience, HDDs with automatic back-up feature are not usually compatible with DVRs. I recall Seagate providing software to allow the user to modify the operational characteristics of many of their drives. I never could get a standard 2.0 or 3.0 Seagate HDD to work reliably with most DVRs I have tested.

The HDVR1200 supports up to 2TB and this is native to the Novatek chipset. I have tested a WD My Book 1140, 2TB HDD, USB3.0, formatted to NTFS on the HDVR1200. It was recognized and works fine with a single partition. Something else is going on with your drives or controllers. Length of the USB cable or USB extensions can cause a lot of problems.

The list of supported drives on the website is a cut and paste of the drives that worked with the legacy DVR1100 STB, which only supported up to 500GB. These models were also tested on the HDVR1200 for compatibility.

Thank you Titanium, This is good information. Questions: Did you do the formatting of the WD or was it factory? What length of USB cable were you using, the one I used/am using is less than 1m and the one I used with the SeaGate Backup Plus was the one that came with it because it uses a special b-connector. As I stated in an earlier post, My Sabrent case with the 1Tb SeaGate drive didn't work, but when I put a 160Gb drive in it, it worked. I created one primary partition (the whole drive) and formmated the 1Tb drive as NTFS using the default settings under Windows XP. I followed the same procedure with the 160Gb drive. I would like to figure out what I was doing wrong, maybe I need to use different settings?

The drive was NTFS formatted from the factory then I reformatted with the HDVR1200 before using. Used the standard 1m USB cable supplied with the HDD.

I suspect that the issue is with the Seagate drive. Doubt it would become compatible with a different case/controller. I may be wrong, but I recall that partitioning the Seagate drive did not remove the "features" and I ended up returning the drive and exchanging for a HDD without automatic back-up or other unnecessary "features". If you look at the drives specifically sold for DVR use, they are bare with no back-up or other utilities.

The list of supported drives on the website is a cut and paste of the drives that worked with the legacy DVR1100 STB, which only supported up to 500GB. These models were also tested on the HDVR1200 for compatibility.[/QUOTE]

Legacy and HDVR1200 means that HDVR1200 can play old 1100DVR files?

Formatted fat32 1st; these are the original recording unit options and original Glorystar receiver supported also works with hdvr1200 typical in file; but will be formatted if receiver or computer does its "own"; and has an encrypted link for owning their own satellite equipment?

formatted by receiver using menu; this is auto? I do not get any linux main screen asking for "type" such as ntfs; etc. raw; h.264'?

As one might add to the instructions; and why people ask; but my clock does work; it just changes, without any programming or menu commands.

The legality of .ts etc. recording means -> however long it can make the recording; for personal use only? auto-record? Working timers?

NO DRIVERS NEEDED unless you are using PC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)