Get a wing dish or wait?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DMarshal17

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Moss Point, MS
I switched to Dish Network back in August and got a VIP622 and 625 with, I think, the 1000.2 version of the dish. I live in the Mobile/Pensacola area and HD locals went live a couple of weeks back. I currently use the 110, 119, and 129 locations, but to get the local HDs I need a wing dish to point at 61.5. (I have the AT250 package with locals and HDUltimate)

Here is my issue, I can go ahead and get the wing dish, get my locals and be done with it. But now there is activity brewing on 72.7/77. So if I do go ahead and point at 61.5 with the wing dish, would they be able to point it at 72.7/77 as well? Or would that require another trip out and another 2 year commitment when they finally go live on them?

Or am I just completely missing something? Maybe I can wait and the installer can come out later (in a couple months), and use the same dish and point at all of the locations I need? I don't know.

Any suggestions? I don't have to have instant gratification, but at the same time I want this done "soon."

Thanks for the help!

I'd not concern myself with it. If you subscribe to DISH LIL, call them and let them worry about how to best do it. If you don't call them, they may assume that you don't care.

I'd also be looking for a notation on your bill about the availability of HD LIL along with instructions.

they have not released the dish yet designed to hit 61.5, 72.7, and 77 (It will be a 1000.4 i believe). This dish will not be available to existing customers for some time after it's release (unless of course you want to fork out the money to pay for it), so I would go ahead and get a wing dish for 61.5. All new national HD should be on 61.5 so with the 1000.2 and 61.5 you shouldn't have any issues as far as programming goes. And by the way, I am no expert, but I am not sure if your 625 would be able to see the programming of eastern arch (from what I know only ViP series receivers can).

I have called them, they want to send a guy to install the wing dish (60 bucks or a 2 yr commitment, which I have no problem with). I asked if other channels besides local HD would be going live on 61.5 and the CSR didn't know (which if they activate those on the uplink report, there will be national channels there). So its really up to me for the decision.

any national HD they put on 61.5 will also be on 129 (since not everyone in the country can see 61.5), so really the only reason to get a wing dish is for HD locals.

they have not released the dish yet designed to hit 61.5, 72.7, and 77 (It will be a 1000.4 i believe). This dish will not be available to existing customers for some time after it's release (unless of course you want to fork out the money to pay for it), so I would go ahead and get a wing dish for 61.5. All new national HD should be on 61.5 so with the 1000.2 and 61.5 you shouldn't have any issues as far as programming goes. And by the way, I am no expert, but I am not sure if your 625 would be able to see the programming of eastern arch (from what I know only ViP series receivers can).

Just curious. Why Couldn't a 1000.2 dish pointed at the 61.5, 72.7 and 77 work?

well, again i am no expert, BUT for a 1000.2 you hit 129, 119, and 110. The difference between 129 and 119 is 10, the difference between 119 and 110 is 9. Now with 1000.4 you will hit 61.5, 72.7, and 77. the difference between 61.5 and 72.7 is 11.2, the difference between 72.7 and 77 is 4.3. I would think that for optimum signal on all sats, the LNBs would have to be positioned slightly different, and maybe a different size dish.

When you say "Free", did yoy have to make a 24 month commitment? I've heard all different scenarios for those having E* adding a wing dish at 61.5 when HD locals where available.

Bill A.

nope. I didn't have to make a commitment of any kind. I followed the advice of several people on the forums here. I didn't go through a sales rep. I called the tech line, and reported the lack of reception of the HD channels as a technical problem. they sent a tech that (thanks to the information I recieved here) I was more informed than. they tried to charge me a 29 dollar install fee, but when I complained they made the whole thing free.

When I called they never mentioned ANY fee or commitment. They did say they would have to shut off my SD locals until the install and they couldn't tell me when that would be until they submitted the order. That did not make me happy so I declined and sent an email to ceo@echostar.com. The CALLED me an hour or so later and scheduled the install for 4 days later and didn't mess with my locals.:)
Good luck!

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)