get "download failed" message when trying to restore timers

jsimp23418

Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
safety harbor florida
I back up the timers using Hopper3 and my 54.0 remote. No problem. But when I try to restore my timers, I get the download error I have posted. I have talked with 5 techs and
a representative of the dish CEO (yes, I sent a letter to CEO asking if this timer restore worked). If not, I told the CEO to "take it out of his Dish online instructions". After talking
to the representative of the CEO (he said he was once a technical support guy), he did not have an answer. I have over 100 timers and he thought that might be the problem. I deleted
my timers down to 70 and no luck. Has anyone successfully backed up and restored from a Hopper 3 (latest software) using a remote model 54.0? If so, how many timers? Maybe there
is a limit. Wh knows? For sure, not Dish.

Please let me know because if my Hopper ever shoots craps, I do not want to spend hours taking pictures and reentering all my 100+ timers by hand.

Thanks for any help or information on if this ever works/worked.

Attachments

• EPSON001.jpg
    EPSON001.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 224
Well, a few things you could try. First, you are selecting the correct restore option, right? I want to make sure because the error message you are sharing is for the "Restore DVR timers" option, which is not the one you want to use. It is used only to restore timers from a 21.1 or earlier remotes that can store timers from older receivers via the IR sensor. The one you want is the "Restore to Receiver" option, that one uses the UHF remotes. After selecting it should read the remote memory and do a refresh. Confusing, I know. But that's how it works.

ir.PNG

If you are doing that correctly, then all I can think of is probably things you where told by Dish already, try rebooting the receiver, unpairing and repairing the remote, or using a different remote from a Joey in case the memory on your Hopper remote is corrupted. Also, the range for the restore is a lot lower then that of the normal remote functions, you should be right in front of the receiver, and if the remote antenna is damaged/not vertical it could affect the range as well.

Thanks a lot. Yes, I was using the "Restore the DVR Timers" but I thought that I only used that option because "Restore to Receiver"
did not restore the timers.

So, I just tried doing a "Backup Settinge", then deleting the last 3 timers, and finally doing a "Restore to Receiver".

If what you said is true, shouldn't it restore the 3 timers I deleted? It did not. 3 times I re-entered the 3 timers again, , doing the backup, delete the 3 timers,
then doing the restore it did NOT restore the 3 timers. Anything else to try?

You are right that I have always used the "Restore the Timers" for 4 weeks. Until now, I thought that is what you do when the "Restore Receiver" does
not restore the timers. 3 weeks ago, I was on with Tech support and that is what he told me to do. He did not resolve it either.

I am willing to entertain any other ideas or sequences to try. This seems to be a start to a possible solution. Thanks.

note: they sent me a new remote and a new hopper 3 replacement and this failed. I sent the new Hopper3 back because I was not going to re-enter my 110 timers.
by hand

Hmm, interesting. This may be a bug. I'm pretty confident the Restore to receiver is the option to use. I have 2 Hoppers and a Wally so ill experiment transferring timers from one to the others in case its your receiver (because getting 2 faulty ones in a row is definitely possible, more than one person on this site can attest to that).

I just had my Hopper3 and Joey3 replaced today. All of my timers and the Hopper3 Favorite Channels list were automatically transferred to the new Hopper. The Joey Favorite list was not saved. So I don't think you need to worry about saving and restoring timers anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)