Getting a Blu-ray HT system. Need some help on a few things.

C-A-S

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Hey what's up?

I'm hoping somebody can shed a little light on a few things for me. I'm looking to buy the Panasonic SC-BT100 Blu-ray HT system. I'm usually very good at hooking up these kind of things but I never had to deal with HDMI with a surround system before and I just want to be clear on some things.

What I want to be able to do is get not only the Blu-ray HT to be in surround sound (that's easy enough) but I want to be able to have my cable TV and my Xbox 360 to be in surround sound as well.

I have the Panasonic TH-50PX60U TV set that is currently connected though HDMI to my digital HD DVR cablevison box. That leaves one HDMI input left on my TV. Which I plan on using to the Blu-ray HT when I get it. Now I'm guessing this doesn't make my cable tv watching surround sound as well, right? What do I need to do to make this happen?

Also my Xbox 360 is currently hooked up to my TV via component cables. What's needed to make this surround sound to the HT system? I have a Nintendo Wii too but I don't think I'm going to have any slots or whatever left on the HT to make this surround sound as well. So I'm just mostly concerned about what I mentioned above.

ANY help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time.

Corey.

The question is going to be hard to answer because Panasonic hasn't released detailed information on this unit, and nobody has it in stock yet.

The easiest path is if the panasonic has multiple HDMI inputs AND those inputs are able to strip out and process the audio. Many HTIBs simply provide pass through switching. Unfortunately the Panasonic website's spec page lists 'HDMI Input' as 'YES' instead of providing a number,

If the unit only does pass through switching, you will need to run a digital Optical (coax or TOSLINK) from each of the sources to the respective paired input channel. Naturally the Panasonic again simply says "YES" although they do state that the digital input(s) is Optical only.

I'm afraid you are going to have to wait a few weeks until the major retailers get their spec pagers up so you can look there, or so you can see one from the store.

When you see one you do need to ask the questions I mentioned above:

1. How many HDMI inputs?
2. Will the receiver decode an HDMI audio stream?
3. If not, is there an optical digital audio (TOSLINK) connection for each HDMI input?

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Hmm... I see. Well, thanks for any help on this thus far. I looked at the pictures the Panasonic site has and it seems to show only one HDMI slot there and one digital optical slot. So... I don't know if I'll be able to have both my cable TV and Xbox hooked up to surround sound. Maybe there's a way but I guess I'll just have to wait and see how this turns out.

Thanks again.

The other option is building a system for $1000. Can be done with a PS3.

A PS3, huh? Hmm. I really didn't want to go that route. Aren't there some huge downsides to playing Blu-ray on that? I heard it can be very loud, etc. Okay, lets say I'm working with $1200. What would you do? What kind of system can we possibly put together here?

Player
Samsung BD-P1500
$399

Rcvr
Onkyo 606
$499
OR
605 on clearance for $399

Speakers
I like Polk for my budget

Polk CSM center $130
Polk M20(floor $129 each) or Polk M10(bookshelf $139 each) x2
Polk PSW10 Sub $199

Thats already over budget. I only have a BD30, Onkyo 605 and Polk Center/Sub/Floors(3.1) so it cost me a little less.

Other option is the Samsung ($399), the 606($499)/605($399) and the Polk speaker system RM705 at $499.

That hits $1300 if you go with the 605 on clearance, so I was off in my $1000 estimate.

I have $1400 in mine plus tax and like I said its only 3.1.

You could always buy the Panny set you are looking at and a HDMI switch?

Hows does this work exactly?

For only $32.90 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 4X1 Enhanced 1.3a HDMI Switch with built-in Equalizer (REV.3.0) - NO LOGO | Auto/Powered HDMI Switch

Like an old A/B switch or any rcvr that allows for multiple ins and one out.

I see now what you are saying, I thought the Panny had a HDMI in also which it does not so this switch wont help.

Nevermind, I see your post above on what cables you are using.

I think you're better off going with an actual rcvr if you want everything on surround. It just gives you more freedom because this setup just appears to be blu-ray orientated.

I think you're better off going with an actual rcvr if you want everything on surround. It just gives you more freedom because this setup just appears to be blu-ray orientated.

Yeah, I hear you. With the Panasonic set it seems I'll have to make a choice with either my xbox or my cable getting surround sound. Not both. With an actual receiver I'll have tons of options but damn, it sounds like the whole setup will cost me a pretty penny. I don't know. I definitely have tons to think about.

Thanks for all your help.

You could always piece it as budget allows, thats kinda what I did.

The Samsung BD-P1500 and the Onkyo 605(before it sells out) would be a good start, then maybe some floor speakers to begin your speaker setup. You could do all of that for less than $1000. Add a center, sub, etc... as you see fit.

Good thing about not owning a HTIB(ive owned two) is you have more freedom when replacing/upgrading components. I think for what Panny is asking, that system should offer more.

Looks good. Now lets say I do go for this receiver... which Blu-ray player would go smoothly with something like this? And most of all what speakers can I get with this for a decent price? I'm not looking for any state of the art speakers. Just something as good or if not better than the kind the Panny HTIB has.

I think picking up the new Samsung BDP1500 at $350-$400 is one of your best bets. PS3 is also a nice choice.

As far as decent speakers, I love Polk.

The inventory numbers on ecost fluctuate from time to time.

Hey... I still haven't bought a Blu-ray system yet. I most likely will in the Fall. End of the year for sure. Hopefully by then there will be something right up my alley.

I was just curious though about something. I was having a debate with someone about the settings I would be using on the Blu-ray player when I get it. Now as you know I have the Panasonic TH-50PX60U. What output would I put the player on for this TV set? I know my TV can't do 1080p... (at least I don't think so) but would I have the settings on 720p or 1080i? It's my understanding that 1080i would be the way to go on a native 720p set. I mean I watch all my cable HD shows/movies on 1080i and they look really, really good.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Hey... I still haven't bought a Blu-ray system yet. I most likely will in the Fall. End of the year for sure. Hopefully by then there will be something right up my alley.

I was just curious though about something. I was having a debate with someone about the settings I would be using on the Blu-ray player when I get it. Now as you know I have the Panasonic TH-50PX60U. What output would I put the player on for this TV set? I know my TV can't do 1080p... (at least I don't think so) but would I have the settings on 720p or 1080i? It's my understanding that 1080i would be the way to go on a native 720p set. I mean I watch all my cable HD shows/movies on 1080i and they look really, really good.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

You can set the PS3 at 720p, 1080i and 1080p just so you know. Also many HDTV sets can accept a 1080p signal but convert it to your sets native resolution. My Optoma HD70 DLP projector is a native 720p unit but it can accept the 1080p signal from my PS3 and display the signal at its native resolution of 1280x720p.

Most if not all bluray players can output at all the above resolutions so I wouldn't worry that much. Just check the specs and make sure though before spending that mind of money. Also if your not sure just ask on here and I'm sure some of our members could answer it as I bet some might have the player in question.

I would do 1080i unless I knew for sure that the player would properly do 720p. (Don't assume they all can. Many can't do 1080p60 properly). However, you haven't bought a player yet. So, you can ask that when you buy a player.

Hey everybody... what's up? Well after months of waiting and researching I have finally decided on the kind of setup I'm going to buy.

I'm going to get the HT-S6100 Onkyo 7.1 Channel Home Theater System with A/V Receiver and then buy along with that the Panasonic DMP-BD55K 1080p Blu-Ray Player.

What do you think? To me this is definitely the best way to go for all purposes. I just need to get a couple of HDMI cables and I should be good to go. Does anyone know if I need any special kind of HDMI for these or will any do? I'm sure I'll figure that out.

I just wanted to update everyone on this who helped me along the way. I plan on getting this just before Christmas. So thanks again for everyone's help in the past.

Later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)