Getting a Blu-ray HT system. Need some help on a few things.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Hey everybody... what's up? Well after months of waiting and researching I have finally decided on the kind of setup I'm going to buy.

I'm going to get the HT-S6100 Onkyo 7.1 Channel Home Theater System with A/V Receiver and then buy along with that the Panasonic DMP-BD55K 1080p Blu-Ray Player.

What do you think? To me this is definitely the best way to go for all purposes. I just need to get a couple of HDMI cables and I should be good to go. Does anyone know if I need any special kind of HDMI for these or will any do? I'm sure I'll figure that out.

I just wanted to update everyone on this who helped me along the way. I plan on getting this just before Christmas. So thanks again for everyone's help in the past.

Later.

Why not go with the Panasonic BD35 and save $100. Any reason you chose the 55? You don't need the analog outs. As for cables go to monoprice. Cheap and work fine.

S~

Why not go with the Panasonic BD35 and save $100. Any reason you chose the 55? You don't need the analog outs. As for cables go to monoprice. Cheap and work fine.

S~

Yes, actually. I want it for the added DivX playback. And, okay, thank you.

Thanks for the links. I'm just curious- what is the difference from the purple HDMI and the black one?

Its a 6ft, 28AWG thats on sale with ferrite cores pre-installed; the same exact cable in black is $4.19.

The other is a 24AWG (higher gauge conductor), CL2 in-wall rated; but no ferrite cores.

Its a 6ft, 28AWG thats on sale with ferrite cores pre-installed; the same exact cable in black is $4.19.

The other is a 24AWG (higher gauge conductor), CL2 in-wall rated; but no ferrite cores.

Oh, I see. But could I not just go with lets say two 28AWG's? Is there some major difference I'm missing here? For instance which HDMI would be connecting from the TV to the Blu-ray player? or does it really matter?

Because I have a spare Monster HDMI cable from maybe a year ago that I could possibly use. I'm just not sure if it's 1.3a or not.

I just want to be a bit clearer on this before I make a move.

Also while I'm here can you confirm these are the right Optical digital cables I need to make my Cable TV and Xbox 360 surround sound?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=2764&seq=1&format=2

Thanks so much for your time.

Oh, I see. But could I not just go with lets say two 28AWG's? Is there some major difference I'm missing here? For instance which HDMI would be connecting from the TV to the Blu-ray player? or does it really matter?

Because I have a spare Monster HDMI cable from maybe a year ago that I could possibly use. I'm just not sure if it's 1.3a or not.

I just want to be a bit clearer on this before I make a move.

Also while I'm here can you confirm these are the right Optical digital cables I need to make my Cable TV and Xbox 360 surround sound?

For only $3.81 each when QTY 50+ purchased - PREMIUM 6FT Optical Toslink Cable w/ Metal Fancy Connector | Toslink to Toslink

Thanks so much for your time.

it just needs to be Cat2 certified. Most Monster from that time is. THat optical cable is fine for the cable box and xbox. Does your cable box have HDMI? If so, you could use the monster for that and use the two Mono 28's for the 55 and the output from the receiver to the TV.

S~

it just needs to be Cat2 certified. Most Monster from that time is. THat optical cable is fine for the cable box and xbox. Does your cable box have HDMI? If so, you could use the monster for that and use the two Mono 28's for the 55 and the output from the receiver to the TV.

S~

Okay my cable box does have one HDMI slot and I am currently running it from the box to my TV. My TV has two HDMI slots so that leaves me with one left and like I said I have one spare HDMI cable to use from awhile back. Now being that I am running HDMI from my cable box to TV do I need an optical cable to make it surround sound or no? The 360 I know for sure I'll need an optical cable because I'm running it with components.

So now knowing what I'm working with for sure what do you suggest?

Okay my cable box does have one HDMI slot and I am currently running it from the box to my TV. My TV has two HDMI slots so that leaves me with one left and like I said I have one spare HDMI cable to use from awhile back. Now being that I am running HDMI from my cable box to TV do I need an optical cable to make it surround sound or no? The 360 I know for sure I'll need an optical cable because I'm running it with components.

So now knowing what I'm working with for sure what do you suggest?

You could run the HDMI from your cable box into one of the four inputs on the receiver, run a second HDMI from the 55 into the second input on the receiver and then one cable out to the TV.

If you don't want to run your receiver all the time, then you could run an HDMI cable from the cable box to the TV and then an optical cable to the receiver for when you want surround sound.

Or since your cable box is only 1080i, you could run component to your tv and some sort of audio cable, optical or rca, depending on what your set has. Lots of options. Keeping the audio and vodeo together will cut down on the risk of lipsync though.

S~

You could run the HDMI from your cable box into one of the four inputs on the receiver, run a second HDMI from the 55 into the second input on the receiver and then one cable out to the TV.

If you don't want to run your receiver all the time, then you could run an HDMI cable from the cable box to the TV and then an optical cable to the receiver for when you want surround sound.

Or since your cable box is only 1080i, you could run component to your tv and some sort of audio cable, optical or rca, depending on what your set has. Lots of options. Keeping the audio and vodeo together will cut down on the risk of lipsync though.

S~

Well that sure explains a lot. For some reason I couldn't picture how my cable box and Blu-ray player would work if I did what you just said. I guess I'm not used to the kind of receiver I'm about to get. In the past I've dealt with HTIB DVD players. But, yeah, I think I know what I must do now and yes I definitely plan on running my receiver all the time.

So as it stands I'll be needing 3 HDMI cables and one optical cable for my 360.

I'm just unclear on one thing with the setup you mentioned. Right now I have the cable box on my HDMI #1 slot and my DVD player on HDMI #2. So when I'm watching TV I have it on the "HDMI 1" mode and when watching DVDs I have to switch to the "HDMI 2" mode. But you got me a little confused on how things would work when I get all this. Because your setup only has one HDMI going to the TV itself.

I get what your saying and it makes sense but how would I go back and forth with Blu-ray and cable TV with them both technically coming through one HDMI from the cable out to the TV which would be HDMI #1.

I hope I don't have you confused now... lol. I'm sure this is a lot easier than I'm making this seem.

But, hey, thank you so much for all your help. You guys have no idea how much I appreciate all of this.

The A/V receiver will be acting as a switching unit. All you audio and video sources will connect INTO it and then it will supply one OUT to the TV.

Well that sure explains a lot. For some reason I couldn't picture how my cable box and Blu-ray player would work if I did what you just said. I guess I'm not used to the kind of receiver I'm about to get. In the past I've dealt with HTIB DVD players. But, yeah, I think I know what I must do now and yes I definitely plan on running my receiver all the time.

So as it stands I'll be needing 3 HDMI cables and one optical cable for my 360.

I'm just unclear on one thing with the setup you mentioned. Right now I have the cable box on my HDMI #1 slot and my DVD player on HDMI #2. So when I'm watching TV I have it on the "HDMI 1" mode and when watching DVDs I have to switch to the "HDMI 2" mode. But you got me a little confused on how things would work when I get all this. Because your setup only has one HDMI going to the TV itself.

I get what your saying and it makes sense but how would I go back and forth with Blu-ray and cable TV with them both technically coming through one HDMI from the cable out to the TV which would be HDMI #1.

I hope I don't have you confused now... lol. I'm sure this is a lot easier than I'm making this seem.

But, hey, thank you so much for all your help. You guys have no idea how much I appreciate all of this.

If you're running your receiver all of the time, that makes it extremely easy and will limit cables. As charper said, your receiver will act like a switch and go between sources with a push of a button on your remote.

Run 1 HDMI cable (use the monster) from the cable box to input 1 of your receiver. Run a second HDMI cable from the 55 into input 2 of the receiver. Run 1 HDMI cable from the receiver into input 1 of the TV. You will then assign the inputs in the setup menu of the receiver.

Now your XBox you would run component and an optical cable to the receiver and a set of component to your TV. I don't believe that the receiver would upconvert component to HDMI.

Let us know when you get everything and we'll help you set it up. I can also be found in the BD35/55 thread in the Blu-ray forum

S~

If you're running your receiver all of the time, that makes it extremely easy and will limit cables. As charper said, your receiver will act like a switch and go between sources with a push of a button on your remote.

Run 1 HDMI cable (use the monster) from the cable box to input 1 of your receiver. Run a second HDMI cable from the 55 into input 2 of the receiver. Run 1 HDMI cable from the receiver into input 1 of the TV. You will then assign the inputs in the setup menu of the receiver.

Now your XBox you would run component and an optical cable to the receiver and a set of component to your TV. I don't believe that the receiver would upconvert component to HDMI.

Let us know when you get everything and we'll help you set it up. I can also be found in the BD35/55 thread in the Blu-ray forum

S~

Heh. It's really that simple, huh? I guess I just totally forgot this receiver handles video as well. I was just looking at it as audio. So, cool, I will definitely let you guys know when I get this and I'm about to hook them up and then you can let me know whatever last minute details you think I should know. But I feel pretty good about it now and sounds like it's going to be a blast when it's all said and done.

I can't thank you guys enough.

Later.

...and if you don't have the A/V unit yet, there are units out that can take multiple types of connection IN; such as s-vid, component and HDMI all at once and then OUT them all on one cable the the TV.

OPPO makes a HDMI switch that I believe costs only a c-note. From what I've read it works really well. Also I use a PS3 for my Blu-Ray, and I recommend it highly. I get more use out of it by access my music off my computer (as a music server), than anything else. The picture is as good as any other unit, and it plays my SACD's also. One simple HDMI connection, and you're good to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)