I'll Need A New TV Soon

QLED has a lot of fans. You MIGHT get a Sony XBR900H in the 65” size for $1,000 - or a little bit more. Not sure if they sell it in 60” size. Or maybe a prior year model.

You could shop Costco.

They are pretty much all “smart” today. They use that smarts to log what you watch and sell it to advertisers. I kid you not. But it brings down the price of the TV.
That's what I have. It's incredible

My Sony OLED came from Japan, like most Sony products.
My Sony X95J was made in Japan, certain parts probably came from China but I would have no idea what.

Reactions: Jimbo
I respect your opinions, but trust me, china is taking over making close to replacement parts. Nothing is worse than spending hours diagnosing a car only to find out the the new part you diagnosed is worse than the one you took off. Less electronics, just enough to get the job done on a good day
I had that happen. My wife's van had an erratic idle, racing up and down and sometimes would also surge when driving at higher speeds when slowing down. Same thing happened with my Buick years before so it appeared to be a faulty Idle Air Control valve. Since I always try to save a few dollars by replacing anything I can myself I priced that part locally ($$$) then bought a cheap one off of Amazon. I installed it and the problem was still there. Spent the next few weeks, anytime she was not using the van, looking for the 'real' problem (vacuum leak, ?) since the 'new part' didn't solve things. I finally said to myself that the iac valve MUST be the problem. Bought one locally for more $ and sure enough as soon as I installed it the van ran fine and has been for the past year. Too late to return the cheap part and had to do the job twice. Cheap can be good in some instances but not this one. Lesson learned! :rolleyes

Last edited:
Vincent Teoh compared the 2022 OLEDs coming out this year (although we won’t be getting the Philips or the Panasonic, boo):

The 42” C2 is what I would be most interested in for our Master Bedroom, but, depending on the price, Sony will also have a 42” which might be worthwhile.

Vincent Teoh compared the 2022 OLEDs coming out this year (although we won’t be getting the Philips or the Panasonic, boo):

The 42” C2 is what I would be most interested in for our Master Bedroom, but, depending on the price, Sony will also have a 42” which might be worthwhile.

id'e love to test drive the panny OLED!!!

Reactions: Foxbat
mine to came from japan. ask a repair shop what's the best set they will flat out tell you sony is!!!
Another thing I like about my Sony - the Amazon OS. When I turn my TV on, it turns on. If I want to go to the home screen, I hit home on the Remote.
I don't get that stupid, annoying pop-up that Samsung and LG have with all the links to various apps/services that takes up a third of the bottom of the screen and takes to long to disappear

If you’re still on the fence on a 2021 LG model now versus waiting for the 2022 LG models at release price, this video might help:

I took advantage of the Super Sportsball Game sales to pick up a 48” LG OLED which I was finally able to set up in our bedroom, replacing a 40” Sony Bravia (special 2012 FIFA promotional set) which was on top of a Sony HTX2 sound stand. Pub Members will know just how much fun I had getting this TV into my home…

The TV’s pedestal stand just fits the top of the custom stand my Father-in-Law had made for Mrs. Foxbat before she was Mrs. Foxbat. I’d share a picture but I am still rearranging things in that corner. Plus, I want to replace the 1st gen Panasonic Blu-Ray player with the 3rd gen I retired from the Family Room. That one understands CEC which the 1st gen doesn’t. At least the LG didn’t find it when it was scanning the HDMI ports for devices.

The AppleTV 4K finally gets to shine (I wish I could say the same about the Joey 4K:() with HDR and DolbyVision. I had to disable the Soap Opera mode on the inputs since the set didn’t seem to auto-detect 24 fps content and present it at its native frame rate.

The sound is the hardest thing to pin down. The AI sound mode can make things sound a bit tinny, and Standard or Cinema sound modes seem to be the better option. I miss the Sony HT2X, but no way to fit it under the TV and besides, it kept resetting to Factory and going into standby. I’m sure I’ll find something else to spend money on…

edit: I got the old (circa 2012) Panny Blu-Ray connected and the LG Remote can control playback (although there’s no Stop button) so I still need the Blue-Ray remote. “Rogue One” is such a good Star Wars movie…
4E5C9709-101F-4E2A-B67F-D657D1F6373E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: John2021
Another thing I like about my Sony - the Amazon OS. When I turn my TV on, it turns on. If I want to go to the home screen, I hit home on the Remote.
I don't get that stupid, annoying pop-up that Samsung and LG have with all the links to various apps/services that takes up a third of the bottom of the screen and takes to long to disappear
My sony don't have the Amazon os it has chromecast built in. And it's the closest thing to the Nvidia shield there is. When I goto the home screen I do t get no links either just apps. I don't have to click them. I just leave the set on hdmi 4 grab my dtv remote and there's live TV. I haven't streamed since I had the set. I hated roku it was always buffering and it just seemed like the platform is broken

It’s a good thing I watch the HDTVtest channel, I found out about Filmmaker Mode and how to get into the AI Sound adjustment menu. The TV can tune its acoustics to match your room using the microphone on the remote. That made a big difference.

Well i Bit the bullet and got a 65 inch Samsung TU8000 series. Software is a little clunky, but picture is incredible. Especially the ABC and CBS feeds in 4:2:2. so far the best 700 bucks I ever spent. The built in atsc is great 66 channels here, some of the upscaling is not too good, but must remember garbage in, garbage out.

Reactions: Foxbat and FTA4PA
I gotta shop for a smaller tv to wall mount behind/above my RCA console to use with my FTA stuff. I may hit up the thrifts/CL as I am allergic to “”””smart”””” TVs, and I don’t care about 4K especially on a >42” TV.

Isn't that something that gets turned off on the Samsung's and LGs (isn't that "Store Mode" ?)

What does auto parts have to do with tvs???? Some tvs are made in Mexico, some in South Korea, and even some in Japan. But, I agree, we need to quit buying from China.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts