Onkyo TX-SR 605 & 805 Reviews

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
I recieved my 805 Saturday by going to the local FedEx Home Delivery Hub and picking it up. Boy, I was glad the guy there offered to put it in my truck as it was very heavy. I had to carry it upstairs and it almost took me out.

Fortunately it has the same horizontal footplace as my Denon AVR-982. It is 2 inches longer front to back and about an inch higher so it fit into the space well. This baby does run hotter then the Denon so I keep one door open for air movement.

I purchased Phillips HDMI cables from Walmart, 2 3' cables and on 12' HDMI to DVI PXT cable (their highest product. Cost $120. I could have saved $45 dollars by going the cheapest route available (BJ's and Walmart) but that HDMI to DVI cable was not cheap anywhere.

Setup was easy once I figured out the remote which other then being big 2 7/8 x 9 3/8 square has backlight which is nice except for the number pad where the numbers light up but their secondary functions (selecting which imput device to use) is not. But since I only have the PS3 and the Dish DVR622 to hook up it is easy to remember who and where. I have a Denon 3910 DVD player to hook up but I have to find its HDMI cable I bought for it a while ago.

Once into the setup you select whether or not you monitor is hooked up with the HDMI output. On the 805 componet is automatically upconverted to HDMI and is passed thu. 480i is converted to 480p and that is it folks. If you want all your imputs to be upconverted to 720p or 1080i or 1080p then you will have to buy the 875 which will allow you to set the hdmi output for your monitor.

Side note: The manuel for the 805 is the same as the 875 -- the only differance between the two is the HQV upconversion chip and one HDMI input more (4) (the 805 has 3). My decision on the 805 was based on that I own a Pioneer Elite 630HD DVI set and it will be a few more years before the wife will let me upgrade. By that time I believe that most sets will upconvert to 1080p as well or better the the HQV chip in the 875. (Some companies like Phillips has already announced using the HQV chip for upconversion in their sets). The HDMI 1.3a input/output of the Onkyos will allow for 1080p 24fps bit for bit transfer to a 1080p capable monitor. It also will allow for the new extended color standard that the newer LCDs and Plasmas are beginning to support this year and the 100mhz LCDs just now hitting Europe (don't know if we will see those here in the US)

Once I hooked up the three HDMI cables (THREE! I removed 2 S-VHS cables, 4 componet cables, 3 optical cables and 6 analog cables from the Denon3910 for direct audio transfer for a total of 15 cables!) I then turned on the Onkyo.

Setting up the video was unbelivably easy. You just go into the setup, scroll down to input then select input (CAble/Sat) and select HDMI input. That is it the rest is automatic! No fuss no muss everything works!

Before I go into the speaker setup my speakers -- I have a Yamaha 5.1 speaker setup with a 250 watt Yamaha powered subwoofer and I replaced the two Yamaha bookcase rear speakers with two Polk Audio dual push surround speakers. I am going to reposistion those to the side of my setup and reinstall the bookcases for rear (7.1) support.

Now on to the speaker setup. Now here is where I oops. I did not read the manuel carefully as I did not set the ohms ratings for my speakers nor the cutoff for my power subwoofer before doing the Auddessey setup. You must do this before running the speaker setup. I will have to do this over again as soon as everyone gets up.

The Auddessey setup for those who have no experiance is very simple. You plug in a speaker (supplied with a long cord) and place it everywhere where someone can sit while watching. This receiver is capable of 8 settings and after you take all these settings it caluculates all the information and sets up the speakers accordingly. Even without setting the ohms and power subwoofer beforehand the setup was execellant.

Setup is now done. For those of you who wonder the 805 is capable of using multiple inputs (S-VHS, Componet Optical and Analog) for inputs for one product -- like the Denon 3910. And the unit will automatically detect those inputs and then supply you with the approriate menus. However if you only hook up the HDMI like I did those menus are the only ones you will see. I like that -- it is less confusing.

Observations:

Now I do not know if the DVI cable with the converter plug that I was using before had anything to do with the picture or if the Faroujda chip is doing anthing thing here for the HDMI output (I tend to believe that it was getting ride of another conector - the converter plug - and not the chip) but the picture on my Pioneer is definately brighter and sharper then before.

I played with the Pioneers Pure setting by turning it on and off. With it on you have selection over type Black , White and format setting (Std, Movie, Game, Sport etc). Once I set the Black and White I tried the Off setting and while I can have more adjustments other the pumping up the colour output and adjusting the tint I could see no real differance in Picture Quality.

Using DishNetwork the picture has never been so sharp. In addition I watched a recording of an SD show on FX and the first thing I noticed was it was not dark! Usually when I watch SD on Dishnetwork and the 622 the PQ is usually dark -- apparently the Onkyo and or the new HDMI/DVI cable is doing something here.

I saved the my evaluation of the sound reproduction for last. There is a reason -- my wife. She is not easily impressed and when I want to buy something or upgrade any of my electronics she is very skeptical. But since I make good money (and she makes better money) she usually allows me but more often then not to make my purchase. Only reason I got into the HDTV as an early adopter was because I was hit by a service truck at a red light and the settlement allowed me to buy an HDTV. She actually barter another cat out of that deal. She got the cat and I got the HDTV.

Well, I have been waiting for a new reciever to play all the new Audio codecs and have HDMI 1.3 and the ONKYOs showed up. I was trying to decide between the 805 and the 875 (my decision and reasons stated above) and how to talk my wife into allowing me to drop a few dollars on a new toy. Well, my birthday is in July, Circuit City had the 805 and a decent sale - $150 off and three months same as cash. I pitched it as my present and she bit -- but not until she gave me grief over selling her digital camera without her permision (I purchased a Sony 7.2 Cybershot that does HD pictures selling her Canon SureShot 2.1). After making me sweat for about 15 minutes she smiled and said go ahead.

Now when the CD came out she busted my chops for 3 years before I was able to get on and after I set it up and played it for her she said she should of allowed me to do it sooner. I knew she was going to do the same with this reciever as during the discussion she stated that I had not had the Denon AVR that long and she could not see why I wanted the Onkyo but she relented.

I had the new setup on Voom's Equator when she walked in and she set down and started watching (it was playing 'Over California') I switched it to HDNET which was playing 'Top Gun'. She likes that movie and she started smiling. I asked if she could tell the differance in the new receiver and she said yes and then she said noticably. My wife is not an expert but if she says there is a marked differance then there is.

The sound reproduction by the Onkyo smacks my old Denon right out the door. Sounds are crisp and the sound field is excellent. I guess I will not have to use my sound meter anymore. At first I thought that there was no bass but then I noticed that when needed the bass was not only there but so were ambient sounds that I had not even noticed -- we are still on HDNET and TopGun here!

I put in The Queen on BluRay for my wife and once again I was amazed at the sound reproduction. Of course now I was listening to the uncompressed PCM soundtrack and it is very impressive. This is not an action film but little things like the differant sounds of tires on roads, shoes on floors or differant textures (rocks, asphalt, ect) were very vibrant and really made the sound come alive. I moved around my setting area and was amazed how well the Onkyo handled the setup. I have never heard my speakers this clearly or as well defined on the Denon.

All in all, this is a great receiver. It does so many things with the sound like the THX Ultra 2 and other THX settings that it will take some time to experiance all the differant settings. It is very easy to setup and I am amazed by how well the Audessey setup worked. It has been reported that some have experienced pops occasionally with the HDMI setup but I have not experiance it once. As a matter of fact, I have noted in the past sometimes delay in lypsync using the Dish 622DVR. After watching last night for about 4 hours and many differant channels I did not notice the problem once. The Onkyo TX-SR805 performs above my expectations and is very easy to use and if you are leaning towards one I feel you would be very pleased with this receiver.

One thing about getting the 805 is that the $700 I saved between the 805 and 875 I can stowe away towards a new HDTV -- maybe next year. :D

Last edited:
Great review, thanks Joe. :)

I've been meaning to my review of your 805's little brother - the 605 - and this seems like a good place to start.

I connected my XA1 HD DVD player and PS3 to the 605 via HDMI. There are only 2 HDMI inputs on the 605. I have a Dish Network 211 HD receiver connected directly to my display via component, and although the 605 can output component input via it HDMI out, I saw no need to throw another connection & set of cables into the loop and just left the straight to TV connection and just connected digital optical to the 605 for the 211. My display is a Sony KDP-57WS550, 57" rear projection CRT. It has 2 component & 1 DVI inputs for HD, so I connected the 605's HDMI output to the TV's DVI with a HDMI>DVI cable I already had. My speaker system is an HTD (Home Theater Direct) Level Three 5.1 system.

For the Auddessey auto setup on the 605, it takes 3 readings - in the center of listening area, then the left & right. I didn't set my speaker ohm setting before running, but the default is 8 ohms, so it wasn't a problem. But I don't know if it's my speakers or room layout, but the Auddessey setup always sets my speaker dB setting down to -5 to -10dB, resulting in low volume. The 604 I previously tried out before going with the 605 did the same thing. The initial volume level was so low I thought I would have to go with a more powerful receiver (the 605 is 90w per channel, my old Sony receiver was 100w). But then I figured out to manually go into the speaker settings and raise what auto setup had configured by 5dB and all was well.

By the way - if you ever want to restore the factory defaults and start over, you press the VCR/DVR and Standby buttons at the same time (on the receiver, not the remote) and the LED display will display "Clear", the receiver will power down, and you're back to factory defaults. This isn't in the manual, I had to be on hold with tech support for 20 min. to find this out, so I thought I'd pass it along. ;)

The big selling point of these new Onkyo 605,805 & 875 receivers is that they have HDMI 1.3, and can internally decode both high def audio formats - Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. Unfortunately no HD DVD or Blu-ray player can currently send either to the receiver. But, the receiver my 605 replaced lasted me for 7 years and was still going strong and I wanted it's replacement to do the same, so I invested in the future potential of the 605.

My old receiver was a Sony STR-DE845. For a direct comparison, my XA1 was connected via 5.1 analog cables to the old Sony. Now connected via HDMI to the 605, the surround sound has much more clarity. I played the HD DVD "Black Snake Moan" with Dolby Digital+ @ 1.5mbps last night. You could pick out the individual strings of the Blues guitar on the surrounds. TrueHD audio sounds fuller, even with the XA1 still doing the decoding. My first HD DVD with DTS-HD MA - a French import "Brotherhood of the Wolf" sounded excellent, even though the XA1 is only decoding the DTS 'core'.
NOTE: I have tried changing the HDMI audio out on the XA1 between PCM & Bitstream and either way the 605 says its receiving multi-channel PCM, so as I understand it the "advanced authoring" on HD DVD is forcing the player to decode the audio & output PCM regardless of settings.

Now for the PS3 & Blu-ray. I had avoided using the uncompressed PCM audio on my old Sony receiver with digital optical as I was limited to only 2 channel. But even with the 604 I had for a few weeks, the 605 sounds a tad fuller for PCM audio via HDMI.
For the PS3, after reading through a very detailed thread on AVS, I set the HDMI audio out to Bitstream, to force the PS3 to send the audio to the 605 for decoding. Oddly enough, the PS3 is "smart enough" to ignore this and output PCM for the PCM audio tracks on blu-ray discs. But for BD with DTS audio, the 605 does receive the Bitstream and decode it. For my ears, I prefer the DTS decoding on the 605 over the PS3, even though they both only decoding the DTS core from HD-MA. Oddly enough, on one French import with only DTS-HD (District 13), the 605 reported decoding it as DTS-EX Matrix, and was the best DTS audio I've heard to date.

So, very happy owner of a 605 here. :)

Two notes:
1- While the 605 supports up to 7.1 speaker systems, it can only produce 7.1 surround with 7.1 input. I.E. - it cannot matrix the 5.1 to 7.1. The 805 & above can do this.

2- The unit does run hot - keep it well ventilated. The popping sound problems reported by some 605/805 owners on AVS seem to be resolved by improved ventilation or installing fans. While I've not had and popping noise problems, it doesn't get much hotter than Arizona in June, so I'm looking for a fan to avoid any heat issues. ;)

3- Dish 211: I've previous tried it's HDMI output and it does seem a little sharper than component. But I also use it for Over the Air HD and the OTA channels seemed slight distorted via HDMI, so I use component as a happy medium.

CochiseGuy, Very nice review of the 605. I needed that reset code as I have to reset the Audessey setup now that I have my speakers set properly and the subwoofer set correctly so thanks!

Doesn't your 605 convert componet to HDMI for output to your HDTV? I thought that starting with the 605 model they would all do this. My wife and I were noticing that the video thru the HDMI of the 805 from the DishDVR622 is definately sharper and more detailed then the componet was. I would like to know if you get similar results from the conversion from componet to HDMI from the Dish222.

Interesting note on the PS3 -- when you set the PS3 to bitstream the 605 is decoding the core of the DTS-HD track. I am going to have to try that with a DTSMASTER-HD soundtrack and see what happens. Also, what video settings are you using on your PS3? Man -- new toys -- enjoy your 605 CochiseGuy!

CochiseGuy, Doesn't your 605 convert componet to HDMI for output to your HDTV? I thought that starting with the 605 model they would all do this. My wife and I were noticing that the video thru the HDMI of the 805 from the DishDVR622 is definately sharper and more detailed then the componet was. I would like to know if you get similar results from the conversion from componet to HDMI from the Dish222.

Yes, it should do it. At first I was just being lazy and didn't want to bother switching the component cables from the Dish211 around. And then as I got to thinking about it, I'm not watching that much TV now with all the re-runs, and don't want to have to power on the 605 just to watch NBC Nightly News. Now when football season starts, the TV gets a workout. :p I'll get around to trying running the component into the 605 and out via HDMI.

Interesting note on the PS3 -- when you set the PS3 to bitstream the 605 is decoding the core of the DTS-HD track. I am going to have to try that with a DTSMASTER-HD soundtrack and see what happens. Also, what video settings are you using on your PS3? Man -- new toys -- enjoy your 605 CochiseGuy!

On the PS3 System Settings, Display Settings:
- Video out (HDMI): I ran Automatic when it was connected directly to my TV, and it correctly selected 480p/720p/1080i as valid, with the default to 1080i. Now Automatic doesn't work, I get a blank screen for the 30 seconds before it reverts back. I assume the PS3 is confusing the 1080p 24Hz capability of the 605 and tries that 1080p resolution. My Sony HDTV supports 720p and 1080i only.

- Cross Color Correction: On
- RGB: Full
- Super Brite White: On

On the BD/DVD Video Output settings:
- Cine Conversion: Auto
- DVD Upscaler: Normal
- BD/DVD Video Output HDMI: Auto
- 1080p 24Hz: Off

Yes, new toys to play with! Good time of the year for me to play indoors with new toys - it's 105 degrees outside! And that's at 4200' elevation - I think they're frying eggs on the sidewalks in Phoenix. :p

EDIT: With so hot outside, I decided to play indoors with my new toy. I did connect my Dish 211 HD receiver via component to the 605. A quick setup to assign that component video & digital optical audio inputs to the Video 3 button, and good to go! The Dish211 picture does look a little sharper on the HDMI out from the 605. ;)

Last edited:
Both are very nice reviews but it may make it easier to have two threads on these. This way people don't get confused between questions that may be asked about each.

I have been watching HD reruns of Star Trek: Enterprise that I have been recording from HDNET. The sound reproduction from even the tv shows is really amazing. Onkyo really did their work on these new AVRs!

JoeSP I have to agree with you. Since getting my TX-SR 805 I have never experienced such awesome sound and video, such versatility, so many options and the ease of setup and lack of input confusion as compared to previous models. As I stated in another post "All the features and comfort of a Rolls Royce at a Toyota price".

Last edited:
I've had my 805 for about 3 weeks now and I can second all the Pro's that you mention. However, there is one GLARING issue that plagues mine (and apparently many other people's 805 as well):

There is about a ~1/4th-1/8th second delay in the audio no matter what source I am using and connection I use. Now it is very hard to tell that the delay is there by simply watching a movie or TV show since the delay is so small. However, it is a significant problem if you are doing anything interactive through the receiver, such as playing a video game or running a mic or instrument through the receiver.

I confirmed that there is an audio delay by comparing the sound from my TV and the 805. I've also compared my computer's audio (using headphoens) and the 805 with the same delay. I further confirmed this using a microphone through the receiver. When i talk into the microphone, the feedback is not immediate and it sounds like an echo. This delay has nothing to do with TV/satallite broadcast. Yes, some channels will have audio delays, but this will only add to the delay that is already happening in the 805. I have concluded that the delay occurs internally in the receiver.

This occurs no matter what input you are using (ive tested this with digital optical, coaxial digital, and analog). It also does not matter what the source is (PCM, Dolby digital, DTS, DTS-WAV; I was unable to test it with TrueHD or DTS-Master). Using the receivers A/V sync feature lessens, but does not fix it. Turning off DSP/EQ/Surround modes and using Pure Audio also does not help. Please let me know us know if your Onkyo has this problem as well.

my hdtv is plug into my onkyo 605 through the hdmi can. Is there anyway to use the tv while the reciever is turn off.

my hdtv is plug into my onkyo 605 through the hdmi can. Is there anyway to use the tv while the reciever is turn off.

You'd need to run a separate output from your source to your TV. With my 622 I run the HDMI to the TV and the Component and Optical to the receiver.

S~

I do not have the lipsync problem. I do not know why but I am only using the HDMI cables I bought.

An update, the 805 needs space. This big boy runs hot!! I had to move things around (my 622dvr moved to the top of my stack) and I increased the top space for the 805 to 2.5 inches. Before my 622's fan ran on high almost 15 minutes into watching tv. Now it is back to normal and I only hear the harddrive. But still there is alot of heat coming out of the 805 so be warned.

I have had the time to play with the THX settings. I had some concern when watching SD-TV. There seemed to be no bass when using the direct mode. But set the 805 in THX and using the 'studio-mix' or 'tv mode' and the bass comes alive. I am still very impressed with the sound of this AVR. Best one I have had yet! I reset my audissey after setting up the subwoofer correctly and the sound field is still excellent.

After watching several SD and HD shows it is very apparent that running the HDMI thru the 805 is doing something with the picture. It is sharper and brighter. One of my complaints about Dish's 622DVR was that SD playback was dark. I do not have that problem anymore. I had to turn down my white and black settings. The HD PQ does seem more 3d then I had noticed before.

I have noticed no pops during audio playback only a 2 second delay in sound when changing inputs on the fly. This is also a very easy AVR to navigate around. Changing settings like the LFE which you have to do manually is very easy and having a return button to back-up in the setup is very nice.

I do not have the lipsync problem. I do not know why but I am only using the HDMI cables I bought.

An update, the 805 needs space. This big boy runs hot!! I had to move things around (my 622dvr moved to the top of my stack) and I increased the top space for the 805 to 2.5 inches. Before my 622's fan ran on high almost 15 minutes into watching tv. Now it is back to normal and I only hear the harddrive. But still there is alot of heat coming out of the 805 so be warned.

No lipsync issues for me either on the 605.

The 605 also runs hot. I have it in an open cabinet, but it does got a little hot in Arizona in the summer, so I got a little 6" "personal" fan to blow over it & keep things cool.

Has anyone tried "bi-amping" your speakers yet? If you only have a 5.1 speaker system (like me), I was reading in the manual that you can use the R&L Surround outputs to bi-amp cable speakers for additional, separate amplification for the tweeter & woofer in your front speakers. I checked, and my speakers support bi-amp, so I'm going to give it a try and see how it sounds. :hungry:

Could someone please clarify: If I have a PS3, can I get the Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, DD+ tracks on certain disks through an HDMI cable connected to the 605 or 805? Or would I need a BD player that has the 6 analog audio outputs for that?
Thanks.

Could someone please clarify: If I have a PS3, can I get the Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, DD+ tracks on certain disks through an HDMI cable connected to the 605 or 805?
Based on the above reviews it appears the answer is YES!

That's what I thought and hoped, but I was confused by JoeSp mentioning he had to watch The Queen in uncompressed PCM (I assumed 2 Ch. if it was through his PS3), and CochiseGuy commenting that he only got the DTS core from the DTS HD-MA track on a disk he watched with his PS3. CochiseGuy also remarked:

"The big selling point of these new Onkyo 605,805 & 875 receivers is that they have HDMI 1.3, and can internally decode both high def audio formats - Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. Unfortunately no HD DVD or Blu-ray player can currently send either to the receiver."

If this is correct, it sounds like you can't get the full DD+, TrueHD, DTS-HD, from a PS3 through HDMI with these receivers. It seems you can still only through a player with 6-channel analog audio output. Bummer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)