Onkyo TX-SR 605 & 805 Reviews

"The big selling point of these new Onkyo 605,805 & 875 receivers is that they have HDMI 1.3, and can internally decode both high def audio formats - Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. Unfortunately no HD DVD or Blu-ray player can currently send either to the receiver."
? I thought the BD-P1400 does with a firmware and the Toshiba HD A35 and probably a few others.

Could someone please clarify: If I have a PS3, can I get the Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, DD+ tracks on certain disks through an HDMI cable connected to the 605 or 805? Or would I need a BD player that has the 6 analog audio outputs for that?
Thanks.

To answer your question directly:

The PS3 will internally decode TrueHD and send it to the receiver as PCM. For DTS HD Master, the PS3 is only able to take the core DTS track. The PS3 will not bitstream, nor will it be able to bitstream, audio and send it to a capable receiver for decoding. Audio bitstreaming is an optional component of HDMI 1.3 and was not adopted by Sony as part of the PS3 mostly due to hardware limitations at the time. One day they might do a software update so the PS3 can decode Master Audio internally and send it to the receiver.

As for bitstreaming audio? There are many players that will bitstream audio to a capable receiver.... Pioneer 95, Samsung 1400, Panasonic BD30, Toshiba XA2 and A35, and Onkyo and Integra's 885 and ?

S~

Has any one seen this situation? A DirecTv H20 connected through an Onkyo 605 via HDMI to a Sony SXRD 52". I change the channel to an XM music channel and then turn the tv off. All is normal until the Sony is turned off. The audio signal is shunted and the DirecTv receiver will not respond to any remote signals. When the tv is turned on, all works normally again. Any help would be appreciated. DirecTv supervisor Shannon 001 has said that DirecTv is not responsible. I believe this may be a software issue. Thank You

Hey guys I just picked up the 605 and spent a good while hooking every thing up and I could not figire out why the 605 was telling me it was getting the info from my Toshiba A3 as PCm until I re read the thread again and see I need a bigger and better dvd player:) I more than likley get the a35 pretty cheap now and days.. The 605 is reading HD movies from my Direct tv HR-21 as Dolby digital which I believe is correct because that is the best sound track you can get from that..

CochiseGuy I wanted to tell you I just replaced the same Sony Receiver that you did with the 605, I also bumped up my db on my speakers setting like you did because it sounded soft and that seemed to work.. CochiseGuy what kind of speakers are you running with your system? I am running the POLK RTi-8 for my right and left and Polk for the rest just cant remember the model numbers for the rest.. Cya Slick

Hey guys I just picked up the 605 and spent a good while hooking every thing up and I could not figire out why the 605 was telling me it was getting the info from my Toshiba A3 as PCm until I re read the thread again and see I need a bigger and better dvd player:) I more than likley get the a35 pretty cheap now and days.. The 605 is reading HD movies from my Direct tv HR-21 as Dolby digital which I believe is correct because that is the best sound track you can get from that..

CochiseGuy I wanted to tell you I just replaced the same Sony Receiver that you did with the 605, I also bumped up my db on my speakers setting like you did because it sounded soft and that seemed to work.. CochiseGuy what kind of speakers are you running with your system? I am running the POLK RTi-8 for my right and left and Polk for the rest just cant remember the model numbers for the rest.. Cya Slick

Why replace your A3 just to see the lights light up on your receiver? The player is internally decoding the tracks as it should and sending it to the receiver. Makes no difference whether the player or receiver decodes the track.

Why replace your A3 just to see the lights light up on your receiver? The player is internally decoding the tracks as it should and sending it to the receiver. Makes no difference whether the player or receiver decodes the track.

The reason why I was thinking I needed to step up to the A35 is because I was not getting Dolby didgital HD sound track, I put in the movie 300 in because on the back of the dvd it says that the sound track was Dolby didgital hd and when the receiver only said PCM and not Dolby didgital hd I was like whats up, I went thru all the setting on the receiver and the HD dvd player and could not figure it out..

What kind of sound quality soundtrack am I getting running thru my Home theather 605 when it's says PCM? thanks for any help you can give..Cya Slick

The reason why I was thinking I needed to step up to the A35 is because I was not getting Dolby didgital HD sound track, I put in the movie 300 in because on the back of the dvd it says that the sound track was Dolby didgital hd and when the receiver only said PCM and not Dolby didgital hd I was like whats up, I went thru all the setting on the receiver and the HD dvd player and could not figure it out..

What kind of sound quality soundtrack am I getting running thru my Home theather 605 when it's says PCM? thanks for any help you can give..Cya Slick

You are getting the Dolby Digital TrueHD soundtrack. The A3 is decoding it and sending it to the receiver as multichannel PCM rather than the receiver decoding the bitstreamed audio. There is no difference.

S~

You are getting the Dolby Digital TrueHD soundtrack. The A3 is decoding it and sending it to the receiver as multichannel PCM rather than the receiver decoding the bitstreamed audio. There is no difference.

S~

Thank you thats good to know..Cya Slick

I have another question for you guys, has anyone brought up the hidden menu on the 605 and if you did was there any thing you found worth while doing so? I havent done it yet but was thinking about it but wanted to see if it is worth playing with it..Cya Slick

TX-SRxxx or TR-SXxxx

Shouldn't the title of this thread be "Onkyo TX-SR605 & 805 Reviews" instead of "Onkyo TR-SX 605 & 805 Reviews?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts