Getting a DirecTv DRV as a gift, and have an installation question.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

el99ne

Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Firs of thanks in advanced for the help. I am getting a DVR from a friend. Its brand new sealed, with everything included (access card is also new). Here is my question, I read on the online manual that the dvr has to have 2 cables coming in from the dish to the back of it connected in order to work properly. Can I just slipt the cable I connected now to my receiver into 2 with splitter, buy to cables and connect the same original cable line into the 2 connections in the back? Or do the connections have to be 2 independent connections coming directly from the dish? I've seen a splitter at the electronics store were I can connect the original cable and have 2 cables coming out the other end. I hope I explained myself enought, thanks again.

Last edited:
Thanks again, so if I just have one cable from the dish it would still work but I would only be able to record one show at a time? Also, would DirecTv charge me have the other cable installed?

It will work with only one cable, but you can only record one show at a time. If DirecTV comes out to install another cable, I'm sure they will want to charge you for it.

Ok, one last question. Would I be able to be watching one show and recording another at the same time, or is that also only possible with dual cables? Thanks.

el99ne said:
Ok, one last question. Would I be able to be watching one show and recording another at the same time, or is that also only possible with dual cables? Thanks.

yeah you can watch one while recording one! enjoy your new dvr!

stuart628 said:
yeah you can watch one while recording one! enjoy your new dvr!
You can watch a recorded show while recording another one, but you can't watch a live show at the same time.

Phroz said:
You can watch a recorded show while recording another one, but you can't watch a live show at the same time.

correct, with one line in, you can
record one channel, and watch a recorded show

or watch live t.v. and not record anything.

that line in is what you will be able to view live, so if you are take it up recording, there is only one choice, watch something recorded, or watch that channel as its recording.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)