Getting a wire from dish in from balcony to apartment...

nycsatellite

Aug 15, 2005
Hey forum folks - after much searching online and research here, I finally found an apartment with a SW facing balcony where I can install a dish (I'm in NYC, hence the screenname). First - thanks to those who helped me on this forum about finding a way to test if the dish will get reception.

Onto a new question: the only restrictions my condo has (and others do I'm sure) is that we can't mount/construct anything on the building facade itself, which means we can't drill through the building to get our wire in. The balcony has a glass door and metal frame (not sliding but one that's on a hinge). Does anyone know the best way to get it into the apartment since that's the only means to go inside?

Also - our installation will be somewhat complex b/c we have to go through the walls in our apartment (own condo) and I'm not really sure where to find the company to do that... unless the provider offers that service...

Any help on eithe of these questions is greatly appreciated!

$4 Slimline flexible 8" flat coax cable jumper (I usually buy 4 or 5 to maximize shipping) see if VE has them.
* 8" white flat F-F 75 ohm jumper
* Cable thickness only 3/32"
* Eliminates drilling through walls and conveniently runs under or over windows and doors
* Soft waterproof white PVC jack

Attachments

• WRFC200.gif
    WRFC200.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 252
NYC... you may want to look in the phone book and call a couple of LOCAL retailers or dealers. Explain to them your situation and compare the solutions that are offerred. Heck, I would even ask them to come out and look at the condo. Some companies will do sight surveys for a small fee. Some companies will use flat wires... some will not. Here in Omaha I get the flat wire Charper mentioned for $1.19.

Important Note: If possible, snake the flat wire in through a window or sliding door that isn't used often. If you have to stick it under the moving section of a sliding door, the rubbing will wear it out very quickly.

Thanks everyone - will definitely go to one of the site's sponsors to buy that type of flat wire and additional materials needed (it's the least I can do). Wish me luck, and as always - thanks again.

Will that flat cable work with Dish Network's DP technology? I used to have those flat cables with legacy equipment but I'm just wondering if it would work with DP equipment. The frequencies are higher with Dish Pro.

nycsatellite said:
The balcony has a glass door and metal frame (not sliding but one that's on a hinge). Does anyone know the best way to get it into the apartment since that's the only means to go inside?

Carefully check the bottom of the door that swings. It is likely to have a rubber gasket up to 1/2 inch thick. If that is so, you have a no brainer. The door will close over full diameter rg-6 coax. Also, the bottom of the door, if aluminum, might have an adjustable part. Just loosen the screws to increase the space on the bottom.

The center conductor on the flat cable is half as thick as that of rg-59 so even with legacy equipment its bound to fail quickly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)