Getting an HD dvr install next week - please help make sure I get the right dish to work with my SD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

clydesdale6

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
NY
I am getting an HD DVR and dish installed next week. I want to make sure that the new dish that I get will work with my SD DVR that I have now. I have a DVR R-10 with Tivo. I learned on this forum that this dvr would not work with a slim line 3 dish that I got for free. So, I did not bother installing the dish. But, a tech is coming to install a dish next week and directv tells me that it will work with my SD dvr.

Can you tell me what I should tell them I need?

Is there a specific dish that I should ask for?

The tech has instructions to call me before he comes over so that we can verify that what he is bringing will work with my current setup. Thanks.

Slimline is the dish type. It can have two types of lnbs, swm and non swm. Each of those can be a three or five type. Your R10 should work with the non swm type. Directv will make sure what you get is all compatible.

Yeah, but with the R10 there is no choice, it won't work on a swm setup.

I am still a little confused. I thought there was no way to make my dvr -r10 work with a slimline dish, no matter how it was wired. I am going to attach my old post from months ago when I was thinking of doing this. Please take a quick look, as I got a lot of great help from you guys. I just want to clarify how I can get this to work. At one point, it seemed like I needed two dishes. Here is the link
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...im-SL3S4NR2-01-with-a-standard-definition-dvr

Read my post again. There are two types of lnbs, swm and non swm. You have the swm type, but you didn't say that in this thread. It is in the thread you linked to. You need to either get a non swm lnb or get a different sd dvr.

OR,
Leave whatever dish the r10 is using and let the installer just run whatever flavor dish he wants for the HD sat line. OR....I think there are some SD ports on the SWM splitters that will work on the r10......need to verify that.

Joe

Joe, only if he gets a swm8 or swm16. If he gets a swm lnb, then there is no way to use the R10 without a separate dish.

Do, I need to specify that I want a swm8 or swm16? Are the smw8 and 16 types of LNBs? Thanks, I greatly appreciate this. I just want to make sure that the new dish will work with my SD DVR and the new HD DVR. Thanks.

Swm8 and swm16 are switches that work with non swm lnbs. They have ports that you can use your R10 with. You have a swm lnb, so you would either have to get a non swm lnb or get a R16 dvr that works with swm lnbs. The installer will take care of that for you.

We are not going to use my smw lnb or my slimline dish. I was given that for free and never installed it, based on the info I got from here the last time. So, we are looking at a fresh HD install. I have my 15 year old sony oval dish in play at the moment. So, I may be able to specify which dish set up I want or need. I don't want to get rid of the SD dvr, as it is a tivo unit that I own and not leased. So, it sounds like I want a swm8 or swm16 switch, and a non swm lnb with a new dish. I think the new dish would be a Slimeline, unless there are other options. Does that sound right? The tech has my phone number and there are instructions to call before coming out to install, as there are tech issues and concerns.

You got it, only it's a Slimline, not Slimeline! :) You will get a swm8, no doubt. You don't need a switch that handles 16 tuners!

unless he gets a HR34/Genie which requires SWM wouldnt they just install a 6x8 switch (do they still install those)?

I turned down the genie. I am only getting one new HD dvr and the dish to make it and my r-10 work.

so they wont even need to put a switch in then

4 outputs on the non-SWM LNB
2 to new DVR
2 to R10 (does it have 2 inputs on the back)?

Yep, I have to coax cables running into my r-10. So the key is I need a non -swm lnb. Do those LNBs require a power booster like the swm?

You are right, of course, Ice. He doesn't need the swm switch at all, or any switch for that matter. What was I thinking?????? :)

OK, great. I will give them a courtesy call again to make sure the tech has what he needs on the truck. Thanks.

You are right, of course, Ice. He doesn't need the swm switch at all, or any switch for that matter. What was I thinking?????? :)

I didnt know how many receivers he was using. Thats why I asked. If he went over 4 tuners he would need a 6x8 or a SWM8. If he was getting a Genie he would need the SWM switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts