Getting back in, need strong aim TP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MikeinBaja

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
San Diego area (CA)
After a LONG hiatus, I'm going to get my FTA rigs running again. Looked at the strong TP list, and I'm sure it is outdated and search didn't help much.

Looking for a strong KA/KU aiming TP for 116.8 Sat Mex 5 (my true south for the USALS motor) and 103 (now called SES-3?) with the weird skew for the secondary dish.

Thanks.

M

I'm not sure which TP you'd need for 116.8, but i can happily tell you that 103w has no more weird skew! For that one I'd recommend 11940 V 20000 to find the bird, then scan and tweak to get the weaker TPs.

Well to update you a little bit 116.8W is now Eutelsat 117 West A & B. Not sure what to recommend for a TP there.
SES 3 at 103W doesn't have a weird skew anymore. It's normal now. Probably 11940 V 20000 there, RT America and NHK World
Kitty beat me to it ;)

Thanks for the updates. Looks like the first order of business is to update my satellite list - mine has nothing at 117. I do have the "old" skew for 103 at this long/lat so no need to pull out the slide rule. Will work on the motor dish Monday, but something I want to see on 103 tomorrow so will start with that fixed dish since it is up and mostly pointed that way anyway.

Is there anyplace to download all of the current AZ/AL/SK settings to XL based on your long/lat? Link I had from years ago doesn't work anymore.

Is there anyplace to download all of the current AZ/AL/SK settings to XL based on your long/lat? Link I had from years ago doesn't work anymore.
Yes. Go to www.geosatfinder.com, enter your latitude & longitude, select Full satellite list and to the right click All common satellites to download a PDF with True and Compass Azimuth, Elevation and Skew of all satellites for your location. :)

If your pole is plumb and your dish elevation scale is in the ballpark, you don't really need to do true south to set up a USALS system. The worst that can happen is you might need to go back and forth between two satellites on opposite sides to dial it in precisely. (And if your pole isn't plumb, you're not going to get the whole arc anyway.)

Reactions: KE4EST
If your pole is plumb and your dish elevation scale is in the ballpark, you don't really need to do true south to set up a USALS system. The worst that can happen is you might need to go back and forth between two satellites on opposite sides to dial it in precisely. (And if your pole isn't plumb, you're not going to get the whole arc anyway.)

Has been awhile since I was up at the dishes, pole was still dead on plumb and the old Birddog meter still nails satellite signals. Dialed in 103 on the 11940 V 20000 TP with 92 S and 78 Q and scanned the bird just fine with good S and Q numbers.

Other dish will take longer to get back on line. Motor is frozen, reset didn't help. Took it down and it is on my bench to look at and see if repairable. It's #3 in the project priority que.

Thanks everyone for the push start.

Has been awhile since I was up at the dishes, pole was still dead on plumb and the old Birddog meter still nails satellite signals. Dialed in 103 on the 11940 V 20000 TP with 92 S and 78 Q and scanned the bird just fine with good S and Q numbers.

Other dish will take longer to get back on line. Motor is frozen, reset didn't help. Took it down and it is on my bench to look at and see if repairable. It's #3 in the project priority que.

Thanks everyone for the push start.

The people here are full of good information, you only need to ask. I'm glad to hear the pole was still perfectly plumb!

Once you get the main TPs on 103 (NHK, NBC all four time zones), the last and most difficult are 12080 H 30000 and 12112 H 14500, NBC news feeds NC 1-8 and NC 9-12. Sometimes it's the same stuff as on ABC Newsone on 91W.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)