Getting Back Into Big Dish after 13 Years

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Does anyone know where I could find the most up to date arc layout & channel chart?

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/

by the way if the installer can't show you all the channels that are out there Today. he might be a miss about lining up a dish for todays digital world.it's a bit harder.
and you might want a 1 to 1.2 meter dish and motor for the Ku stuff. most do.
good luck

Last edited:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/

by the way if the installer can't show you all the channels that are out there Today. he might be a miss about lining up a dish for today's digital world.it's a bit harder.
and you might want a 1 to 1.2 meter dish and motor for the Ku stuff. most do.
good luck
I haven't met the guy or anything yet. He's about 105 miles away. I'll call him when it gets to the time I get my expected funds to do all this. I want him to come see me first & do a survey before I jump.

Big dish isn't dead, Mine has 'offspring'. Here's a family picture.
attachment.php
Can't see your family photo... :(

I'd appreciate anyone's info & opinions on this matter for me.

I just got into C Band, and it's everything I wanted and more. I'm a newbie but I'd like to share my story with you. I see you're from MO, I'm from Paducah ... welcome Brother :D. When I decided to get into C Band, I wanted it all and I wanted it now. I wanted to buy something that I could have tomorrow, and something that was easy to install. The first thing to do is listen to all the advice that's available from the experts here on the forum. Then, after taking it all in, you can decide what would work best for you. If I had listened to myself, I would have been very dissapointed. It takes time to find a good BUD, time to clean it up and refurbish it, time to install it, time to point it, not to mention the expense of $$$ for all the other stuff you need. For years I saw a BUD mounted on a small hill just down the street. It never moved so I knew it wasn't in use. The guys here on the forum said it was a goodie (10' Winegard Pinnacle), so I bought it for $140. It was a real pain in the a** to get it down from that hilltop. It was filthy, full of bird sh*t, had been shot up with a BB gun, rusty, and so on. I brought it home, disassembled it, cleaned it over and over again, removed all the dings from the BB gun. It took me at least a month of working on it every day to finish it. Then I had to wait a week for the concrete to dry, then another week to get my help over here. Long story short, I have a nice looking, great performing BUD. As suggested, start looking for a BUD. Take pictures before you buy it and let the experts give you their opinions. If you want it all, the bigger the BUD ... the better. I would put a Want AD in your local newspapers. There might be a BUD available in your local area. Good Luck !!

Attachments

• resize.jpg
    resize.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 117
Well written. You've summarized why even those who are BUDwise (some are BUDwiser than others) may choose not to follow the route of using a BUD. They may not have the endurance, time, ability, motivation, etc. as you did. If it were easier to use BUDs, many more would. There could be a resurgence. More likely, it will remain a bit of an extreme hobby.

Im afraid I have to agree with Cyber. its alot of work. It is not for everybody. Only those who acquire the "fever" will keep at it. The thrill of getting that first TV channel on C Band is what did it for me. My wife could care less about what it takes to keep it tuned and keep channels peaked. Al she wants is to turn it on and ONE remote....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)