Getting Dish 311 (Can it work with Vonage)

ZachMetal

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Hi,
I just ordered the Dish Network , but we have Vonage. We're getitng the DIsh 311 Recievers. IS there a way to work it with Vonage? I heard if you unhook it from the phone lines they charge you $5. Is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks,
Zach

Pepper said:
only the xx2 receivers have the $5 fee if not connected to a phone line.

oh. Thanks for clarifying!
If it's connected to a phone line, does it knock the phones off the hook or something?

Thanks,
Zach

The receivers are polite. They dial out late at night and check the line for a dial tone before they dial. If the line is being used (no dial tone) they wait a period of time and then try again. You might hear a click but the receiver does not disconnect an existing call.

So you're asying if I'm not using the phones late at night, to plug the reciever back in. Does this mean that the reciever gets updates and stuff? Like for example, updates to the TV Guide?

THanks,
Zach

I leave the 508 series connected all the time, or at least one of them, no phone near the other. Anyways, I think the 508 only dials up maybe once a month since I don't use the pay per view. The 508 in my bedroom hasn't connected since summer 03.

If you use the phone at night, and happen to pick up on it, I think the dish hangs up, and you just have to click the phone off and back on with a short pause to get the dial tone back. Never have picked up on it.

Now the setup I use to get the 508 to work is this. Under phone connection, I've set the prefix to 3 characters, *99 ( I think some have a hard time finding the *) and I set wireless jack to on. The 311's are newer boxes, I've not tried those.

Maybe someone else can see if this is the same.

As for Vonage. Set the bandwidth saver for 90k in your features page ( I think it's the default). Comcast lately hasn't been able to handle 90k up/downloads without some network jitter. (thats when the data being sent out doesn't arrive on the other end in the same order it was sent out)

Good luck and Welcome to Dish, and Satellite Guys.

Vonage works with my 811. I have used Dish Home to check my bill. I imagine this goes over the Vonage line.

Somewhat on the topic. I just hooked up Vonage and tested the phone connection on a 522, a 721 and a 921. They all indicated dial-tone without any changes or prefixes.

Yeah, it'll give dialtone, but won't connect. The data is grouped into 64 bit packets, and the other end doesn't interpret the packets correctly and basically throws them out.
Activating the *99 mode on the vonage adapter makes smaller packets according to vonage. This also helps with faxing over vonage. Also faxes over 9600 are impossible from what I've found. I've seen faxes connect higher but then drop off with errors.

It depends on your box, really.

A black and blue (RT31P2 for example) vonage box will give you uncertain results

The silver/blue (PAP2, RTP300, etc) boxes seem to work just fine :)

I had an RT31P2 -- for ages it didn't work but a firmware update around September of last year changed all that :) My current RTP300 does it without a hitch with 2 322s.

Chances are it'll work just fine :) Oh yeah, and if you ordered service for more than 1 TV you'll get something like this:

1 TV: Just a 311 - $0 extra per month
2 TVs: 322 - $0 extra per month
3 TVs: 322 and 311 OR 322 and 322 (no difference if connected to phone line) - $5 extra per month
4 TVs: 322 and 322 - $5 extra per month

ZachMetal said:
So you're asying if I'm not using the phones late at night, to plug the reciever back in. Does this mean that the reciever gets updates and stuff? Like for example, updates to the TV Guide?
The phone line has nothing to do with software or guide updates - those come via satellite. It is used to verify that multiple receivers are in the same household, to report PPV purchases, and to retrieve account info for the Dish Home customer service/bill payment application.
Frostwolf said:
Here's a list of recievers with the latest software versions on it. Sorry only list I could find.
The EKB version of the Receiver Software Versions chart adds links to receiver information pages and software history.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts