getting dish happy and need to find a way to hide all my dishes

edugamer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 20, 2019
pa
My mom is ok with my 18" front lawn signal blaster and one dish on the back deck. She says any more and it will start to look like house of marcians. I had the idea of building a structure of some kind in the back yard like a platform to put my dish cluster and she is ok with that but it will be until the spring. I also had the idea of having a shed for my experiments and ham stuff built in the spring and she is more than happy to get that built for me we just need to get the shrubbery taken care of. As the yard never gets used much she is ok with that. I just need to figure out how to keep everything out of the way for now.

at the moment I am looking for a way to put up my 33" and having it out of the way so it doesn't look like house of marcians. I told her it is temporary for now and I will put it away when Im done using it or find a place to hide it

My mom is ok with my 18" front lawn signal blaster and one dish on the back deck. She says any more and it will start to look like house of marcians. I had the idea of building a structure of some kind in the back yard like a platform to put my dish cluster and she is ok with that but it will be until the spring. I also had the idea of having a shed for my experiments and ham stuff built in the spring and she is more than happy to get that built for me we just need to get the shrubbery taken care of. As the yard never gets used much she is ok with that. I just need to figure out how to keep everything out of the way for now.
at the moment I am looking for a way to put up my 33" and having it out of the way so it doesn't look like house of marcians. I told her it is temporary for now and I will put it away when Im done using it or find a place to hide it
You could camouflage it by painting it to match the surroundings. Maybe even let her pick what is painted on it like a pattern, flowers or something - just nothing reflective as that could damage the lnbf. :)

You could camouflage it by painting it to match think that will work! She is very supportive of me learning and we collaborated on making the signal blaster into an awesome work of art. I primed it and sanded it down and mounted it onto a piece of mdf and she painted and decorated it with flowers and it is also going to be a welcome sine! That was spray painted and combination of brush art. She is almost done with it. Plan on breaking out the dslr later so I can show it to the community on here later and show my current setup.
I am also getting orby next month so brainstorming on dish hiding! For now I think I can manage finding some good places for the two sat dishes I am tinkering with. I think for the short term I should be able to get a motor for the one 33" and keep a dish stationary for when I get orby. I have about 200ft of rg6 kindly donated by a freecycle member so I might even be able to find a satellite location excuse the pun! for some dishes for now in buckets or something with some 2x4s back in the yard. Might be able to get a lot of that off freecycle as well.
Lol I could say I am making a sculpture or decorate them as Halloween decoration!

Reactions: FTA4PA
Ask primestar about how to get away with putting a new dish before she knows about it. I paint mine with a fake directv logo.

Attachments

• 20170222_170657.jpg
    20170222_170657.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 220
Just use a flat paint that matches the background of where the dish is placed. Amazing how no one notices something like a big dish as long as it blends in with the surroundings.
A radar dome would be cool though. Might have visitors showing up unexpectedly with suburbans with tinted windows though... :)
Maybe a canvas-covered garage type building would work. Used to use canvas on microwave dishes up on towers to protect the feeds from weather, as long as it is non-metallic it should work fine.

Just use a flat paint that matches the background of where the dish is placed. Amazing how no one notices something like a big dish as long as it blends in with the surroundings.
A radar dome would be cool though. Might have visitors showing up unexpectedly with suburbans with tinted windows though... :)
Maybe a canvas-covered garage type building would work. Used to use canvas on microwave dishes up on towers to protect the feeds from weather, as long as it is non-metallic it should work fine.
I was thinking about roofing your shed with something like Onduline (do they still make that?) or fiberglass panels. Put the dish(es) up under the roof. You may need to omit a rafter or two, depending on the size of the dish, slope of the roof, etc.

Reactions: Cham
The roof would need excellent drainage and an application of an agent to bead and reject water (rain-x, etc.). Otherwise, satellite signals will be severely attenuated with any standing, sheeting or streaming water. The key is to bead and disperse the water without sheeting or streaming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts