Getting Dish installed on Thursday....anything I should do to make sure the install g

FAiello

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
I am a former customer of Dish, I have 2 dishes on my roof one for 110 and 119 and a single dish for 61.5. I live in the Boston area should I ask for the 1000.4 Eastern Arc? I am getting theVIP722 and a VIP222 receivers. Anything I should look out for during the installation to make sure it goes smoothly?

Not hijacking your thread, but I am also getting Dish on Thursday for the first time here in Central PA. I have 1 hdtv and 2 sd tv's. I have been reading these boards for a couple weeks to make my final decision on dish over dtv and just registered today. I hope your install goes great!

Make sure the installer doesn't put the dish in a location that will be a hazard. They are known for this around here. If they put it in the center of your yard, be sure the installer mounts the Dish to a permanent post and not of a tripod that can easily blow over or get in the way of the lawn cutting. Be sure they bury the cables and not just leave them scattered over top of the grass.
If mounting on your wall, be sure they don't leave a complete mess of unused wire and cable that looks like a rats nest. They are known for that here. Inside, be sure they don't damage your room decor with wires stapled to the ceiling and stretched all over the floor. Be sure they ground the system according to your local building codes and NEC. They don't bother around here.

Basically, stay with them and don't let them do anything that you are not agreeing to.

My neighbor had an install done a couple days after I got my new 722 and the install mess. They put his dish in front of his house in the flower garden about 6 inches off the ground. They have a single white coax tossed about in the flower bed and then through the wall into the house. I didn't see what they did inside. There is no grounding. The wood 4x4 post is in concrete in the ground. They left the empty bag of Sacrete tossed in the flower garden and dumped a small pile of dirt on top of some of his flowers adjacent to the dish. I have never seen a dish mounted that low to the ground.

I had a customer once who just moved in from Boston... he was out of town wife was there, told her I'd mount the dish on the corner of her house right on the foundation right near her power meter... she ok'd it, put me on the phone with the husband to tell him what my plans were, he argued with me left and right that there is no possible way I could get signal that low off the ground.

Long story short install came out clean, never heard back from them. Drove by it a few times afterward weeks and months later and still there. I'm sure it's still there.

Dishes can be right on the ground, or in some cases in which I've once installed one, below the ground.

I had a customer once who just moved in from Boston... he was out of town wife was there, told her I'd mount the dish on the corner of her house right on the foundation right near her power meter... she ok'd it, put me on the phone with the husband to tell him what my plans were, he argued with me left and right that there is no possible way I could get signal that low off the ground.

Long story short install came out clean, never heard back from them. Drove by it a few times afterward weeks and months later and still there. I'm sure it's still there.

Dishes can be right on the ground, or in some cases in which I've once installed one, below the ground.

If you don't get snow in your area, that is.

Below ground? Was that for a cemetery resident client by chance? How deep did you bury the dish? :D

The issue I see with the dish on the ground is it will often, very often get blocked by people and yard stuff. In this case the neighbor's LNB will be completly blocked by the shrubs in the flower bed as they grow around and over the Dish.

the eastern arc is not an option at this time. But how did the former installation work. Did you drop dish because of line of site issues? if so it did not work then and wont work now. The best thing you can do for the tech is make it as easy as possible for the tech to get to the TV and wires, push back cabnets, clear brakable things in his path, Look at your wiring and clear a path to all wireing junctions. Know where you want the recievers and have a phone line ready or know if they are avalable and the issues involved if they are not.

The Tech will most likely want to use the old dishes and mounts. This should not present a problem but he will swap outh the LNBS for DPP+ if it is not there. If the tech is experenced he will walk through the house and tell you what he would like to do and look for your approvial if you have any suggestions make them now, if he is not experenced show him where the connections are, the wiring paths and the dishes. Remember the tech is most likely only earning as much as you would pay a the person who pumps your gas so dont have high expectations and anything more complex than fastening a wire to a wall do your self because the tech dosent want to or I would not trust them to.

If you don't get snow in your area, that is.

I have made posts before, one morning on my way to work I opened the door to find I was buried in by snow drifts, had to shovel a path...about 4' tall. My dish was under a snow bank... worked just fine.

Installed my cousin's dish on the ground, it sits about 8" off the ground from the bottom of it... also I installed the dish upside down for looks...It has successfully survived one winter so far...

Better then the dish being 30' on a eave building up with snow.

Last edited:
Below ground? Was that for a cemetery resident client by chance? How deep did you bury the dish? :D

The issue I see with the dish on the ground is it will often, very often get blocked by people and yard stuff. In this case the neighbor's LNB will be completly blocked by the shrubs in the flower bed as they grow around and over the Dish.

Yer sir, below ground.

What it was, the guy had a basement with windows, picture a 5' deep x 4' x 4' hole in front of the window if you can.

I just mounted the dish down far enough where it couldn't be seen and have LOS... using my Suunto Inclinometer I was able to determine that it would work before I went ahead with it.

Quality went out there, impressed. Never had a call back on it.

As far as the shrubs and flowers, I understand that... not good.

I was on the phone for a while with Dish. They said I was getting the 612 which is supposed to be newer than the 722 according to them. I could upgrade to the 722 for $50 now. Then I got disconnected.

So I called back and I get the 722 for 2 tvs (1 is HDTV) and a standard receiver for the other TV. She said that the other tv accesses the 722 wirelessly and I don't get a receiver for that one. This is all new to me.

I am a former customer of Dish, I have 2 dishes on my roof one for 110 and 119 and a single dish for 61.5. I live in the Boston area should I ask for the 1000.4 Eastern Arc? I am getting theVIP722 and a VIP222 receivers. Anything I should look out for during the installation to make sure it goes smoothly?

The installer just may look at your dishes and use them as they work for what you need. That is why Dish has that Dish Mover program so they can use the dishes already there. This will be interesting as EA is supposed to launch today. Let us know what happens.

I was on the phone for a while with Dish. They said I was getting the 612 which is supposed to be newer than the 722 according to them. I could upgrade to the 722 for $50 now. Then I got disconnected.

So I called back and I get the 722 for 2 tvs (1 is HDTV) and a standard receiver for the other TV. She said that the other tv accesses the 722 wirelessly and I don't get a receiver for that one. This is all new to me.

Wirelessly?? I never heard of that one before and I have a 722. If you are a candidate for EA, you may be getting a ViP HD receiver like a 211 receiver for that second SDTV along with the 1000.4 dish.

722 will run two tv's. 1 HD, 1 standard. The 2nd tv plugs into the reciever itself, the remote is wireless.

OK that makes more sense now. So I have a HDTV with the vip722 then a wire runs from the 722 upstairs to my 2nd TV? And the TV2 remote accesses the 722 downstairs wirelessly?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)