Getting Dish Network in Canada

no because when they look it up, it most definitely will peg you as a Canuck
Not quite. The problem with a Canadian SIN number is that there might be a US SSN number that is the same. The US & Canada don't coridinate the issuing of the numbers to avoid that. So the number won't tag you as a Canadian, but if might tag you as someone else.
I found this out from someone at the Social Security Administration when my wife got her SSN number (as we had inquired if they could just issue one that was the same as her SIN number).

The original poster asked how he could get dishnet in canada.. going through a broker is best way, but make sure you get the login info so you can order ppv online, change credit cards etc...
.now i am in caribbean and i know some facts... maybe opening an account is one thing but for sure you can make online monthly payments with an international credit card...non usa ...next thing, our local grey market agent will only allow one receiver per account so as to not trigger a random audit that will shut off additional receivers and possibly blacklist them..which is the safe thing..
-- most importantly.. dont call dishnet for help etc.. go through your third party for that..

Help

Hi everyone! I want to subscribe to DN in Canada, I live on a boarder town and already have 2 211Ks, and a 1000.2 lined up for 110 119 and 129. Only problem I have is going from there, I have read that people who sign up for DTV have used a Canadian CC and have no issue. I've also heard about "Brokers" but I really don't want to go down that road. I just want to be a paying customer like many other people do in Canada. I just don't understand how. It almost seems like it's a well kept secret. hahah. I've also noticed in my area that a lot of people have new DirecTV dishes, about 9 of them, just in my neighborhood.... set up within the last 2 years. What can be done to make this go flawlessly? I can get a magic jack for a U.S. phone # I can get a U.S. address at a local business that provides me with an American address but for a U.S. CC or SSN... I'm kind of stuck.

If I were in Canada, I would stick with ExpressVu or Star Choice, since you can time shift programming as there are CTVs from Halifax to 'Couver and multiple US network feeds across several timezones. Also the signals don't bleed as far north as they once did. Depending on your location, you might need a larger set of antennas to grab enough signal. I used to take a D500 and receiver back and forth across the border when I'd go on a couple week or so fishing trip in the bush and didn't have any problems doing so, but I wasn't a citizen. Your mileage may vary.

Bell and Starchoice(shaw direct) are excellent. I prefer Bell, equipment is better(made by Echostar)
Plus programming is better. That said both have the time shifting. I loved that!!!

I live in Canada and know people that have done this. Order a Dish Network FlexTV system from a reputable retailer and have it shipped to a US address (you can also use one of the many US address brokers if needed). The retailer should get an account setup with Dish Network for you. Once you have the equipment do a self install and call Dish (must be from a US phone number, IP phones (like Magic Jack) will work) to activate the equipment. Dish will take a Canadian credit card no problem.

This is what stops me from doing this, many people say that a Canadian CC won't work, while some people say it will.. I also wish that people that did have these systems in Canada, didn't keep secrets! hahaha

To whomever sugessted Canadian TV such as Bell TV and Shaw Direct (*Choice) I'm fed up with Canadian TV, that's all I can say. The horrible selection and watered down versions of better U.S. channels is something I can't take anymore...

Dirt?

Who or what is Dirt? BTW, I've seen 3 new Directv systems go up in my city in the last 4 weeks.... There has to be something I'm missing, I mean, 13 people can't be account stacking.... hahaha.

DIRT is Dish Internet Response Team. Employees of Dish who monitor this forum They are extremely helpful and have solved problems for many people, myself included. If you go to the vert top page of the forum (not this sub forum) their names will be in red if they are online. You can then send them a PM.

I live in Canada and know people that have done this. Order a Dish Network FlexTV system from a reputable retailer and have it shipped to a US address (you can also use one of the many US address brokers if needed). The retailer should get an account setup with Dish Network for you. Once you have the equipment do a self install and call Dish (must be from a US phone number, IP phones (like Magic Jack) will work) to activate the equipment. Dish will take a Canadian credit card no problem.

When I had Dish and I was in Mexico, I would call from here without any problem, I remember one time (about 4 years ago) I pressed the menu to speak spanish and the Dish representative was physically located in Mexico, Nonetheless, better call from the US just to be on the safe side.

Isn't Bell equipment basically the same as Dish. (at least my friends whom live in Ontario; their 2 .

Dish network is so far ahead of bell it's almost 3016. I use Dish in Texas. I can record 16 programs at a time; in addition they have prime time that records all prime stations from 7-10. We don't have to set up our regular programming because they are mostly on local stations.

I can only record 2 programs at a time while watching a recording but not live with Bell; it really stinks!

It would be great if I could bring our Dish receiver back to Canada and use it here. When we first started going down to TX we took our Expressvu receiver. Worked after we put in a huge Dish. But only for a while. Bell moved the satellite so non of the Canadians in our park could get Expressvu any longer. Nice, eh?

I suspect that the OP (cannibal) has resolved their issue with being able to get Dish in CA by now, if they pursued it....

I know it is against the law,I'm not that worried about that. I don't think they are too concerned with one guy watching tv,they have a lot of other problems to worry about before me...lol
My understanding is there are two satellite tv providers available in Canada. Is there anything wrong with either one?

My understanding is there are two satellite tv providers available in Canada. Is there anything wrong with either one?
Both are much like our DBS services, but some Canadians would rather have the "real" US version of a channel rather than the "Canadianized" version. Many channels have the same name as the US version, but the name is merely licensed from the US channel and much of the content comes from the Canadian company that actually owns the channel.

Dish doesn't ask for a social if you go with the flex tv plain. It's prepaid, so you'd have to buy your own equipment and do your own install or pay for it out of pocket. Not sure if they'd take a Canadian credit card, though. If they don't, you could always get one of those prepaid ones at Walmart.
They take Canadian credit cards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)