Getting Dvr 522 In Few Days Have ?'s

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
RITAcp said:
Ok then, I think im just getting the dish 500, and the 522 is the only thing else. But also while im thinking of it, what about if I want to have him install the dish on a pole mount? Is that "standard"? I really dont want to have another dish on my roof, its an older house and the roof isnt very stable and i cant afford to have any more holes in there since ive already have problems with leaking. Then if Im able to install the dish this way does that mean it will be grounded already then? Im just really nervous about this kind of stuff, especially being a single woman, and i know how some of these installers can be, tell me something and know i will believe anything they say cause i dont know what they are talking about anyways! Thats why I REALLY REALLY appreciate all that you have helped me with. I leave at 5pm est and i dont have internet at home so thats why im sort of in a hurry for this information. Thank you!!

I leave at 4 est and probably wont touch my computers tonight (been a long day)

Anyway. Yes a pole mount is standard if You called dish or they called you directly. Some of the local installers will lie and say its not. It even says on the back of the paper work that it is standard. I believe that 12 ft of trenching is possible too... not 100% on that it may be 10. No the pole will not be sufficient ground for the dish unless it goes really realll really deep (I think 12 feet and has to be a certain metal. He will still need to ground the cables coming in. The grounding on those grounds the input on the recivers, and the LNBF's. the grounding bleeds static buildup so that lightning is not as big a risk. If the dish isnt grounded properly the dish itself cant bleed static and is also a target. These are there to prevent a lightning strike. not to handle it if one happens. Just make sure he grounds both the dish and the cables.

ShadowEKU said:
I leave at 4 est and probably wont touch my computers tonight (been a long day)

Anyway. Yes a pole mount is standard if You called dish or they called you directly. Some of the local installers will lie and say its not. It even says on the back of the paper work that it is standard. I believe that 12 ft of trenching is possible too... not 100% on that it may be 10. No the pole will not be sufficient ground for the dish unless it goes really realll really deep (I think 12 feet and has to be a certain metal. He will still need to ground the cables coming in. The grounding on those grounds the input on the recivers, and the LNBF's. the grounding bleeds static buildup so that lightning is not as big a risk. If the dish isnt grounded properly the dish itself cant bleed static and is also a target. These are there to prevent a lightning strike. not to handle it if one happens. Just make sure he grounds both the dish and the cables.
Great!!! Im so glad you have been here for me shadowEKU. So the installer would have the supplies with him to do a pole mount then correct? While im thinking about it, I know with d* the dish has to face the southern skys, do you know what direction the dish network needs to face? Also I see that they have a new release of an update so is that something the installer should do for me? Or will i have to do that myself? And as simple simon posted earlier to one of my questions, i asked about not having a landline and getting updates. Do they come thru the phone line or via satellite? He also suggested to say i was getting a home phone "soon" so they set it up that i wont get hit for that $5 charge for not having a landline, will that work?

RITAcp said:
Great!!! Im so glad you have been here for me shadowEKU. So the installer would have the supplies with him to do a pole mount then correct? While im thinking about it, I know with d* the dish has to face the southern skys, do you know what direction the dish network needs to face? Also I see that they have a new release of an update so is that something the installer should do for me? Or will i have to do that myself? And as simple simon posted earlier to one of my questions, i asked about not having a landline and getting updates. Do they come thru the phone line or via satellite? He also suggested to say i was getting a home phone "soon" so they set it up that i wont get hit for that $5 charge for not having a landline, will that work?

Updates come VIA SAT.

He SHOULD have the supplies. If they call to confirm (And they should) make sure you tell the person it will be a pole mount. The Dish will have to face pretty much the same direction. they are all right there above the equater in their own little slots. (119 and 110) for the dish 500 system. your last question: They have different schools of thought on this. supposedly they arnt as strict as D* is about the landline.. However saying "Soon" should help. the updates are done automaticly at a specified time. Its in the menus.. i wont say where but its not hard to find and you should explore them anyway. Also as a precautionary thing... be ready to reboot your 522 on a semi regular basis. I usually do as Im walking out the door for work in the morning. All you do is hold the power button for like 5 or 10 seconds. I think I answered everything.

ShadowEKU said:
Updates come VIA SAT.

He SHOULD have the supplies. If they call to confirm (And they should) make sure you tell the person it will be a pole mount. The Dish will have to face pretty much the same direction. they are all right there above the equater in their own little slots. (119 and 110) for the dish 500 system. your last question: They have different schools of thought on this. supposedly they arnt as strict as D* is about the landline.. However saying "Soon" should help. the updates are done automaticly at a specified time. Its in the menus.. i wont say where but its not hard to find and you should explore them anyway. Also as a precautionary thing... be ready to reboot your 522 on a semi regular basis. I usually do as Im walking out the door for work in the morning. All you do is hold the power button for like 5 or 10 seconds. I think I answered everything.
Ok one more thing, what kind of pole is this? Is it a 4x4 post? A metal pole? and if that how thick is it? and how tall will it be? Also how about that recent release of the update? should the installer do that or will i have too?

RITAcp said:
Ok one more thing, what kind of pole is this? Is it a 4x4 post? A metal pole? and if that how thick is it? and how tall will it be? Also how about that recent release of the update? should the installer do that or will i have too?

99% of the time its a metal pole. The height is completely determined by the location. it depends on fences trees, buildings, anything. I cant remember the diameter of the pole. Its between 1 and 2". There is a thread here somewhere with it. I did a quick search but no avail. The update, in theory, will come down when the installer plugs in the reciever. However you may get l2.04 and l2.05 later in the week. Keep in mind it does it while you are asleep. you dont have to manually update it at all. I think the stock time is like 4am or something close.

ShadowEKU said:
99% of the time its a metal pole. The height is completely determined by the location. it depends on fences trees, buildings, anything. I cant remember the diameter of the pole. Its between 1 and 2". There is a thread here somewhere with it. I did a quick search but no avail. The update, in theory, will come down when the installer plugs in the reciever. However you may get l2.04 and l2.05 later in the week. Keep in mind it does it while you are asleep. you dont have to manually update it at all. I think the stock time is like 4am or something close.
ok then, what about if i buy a 4x4 post would they use that? and would they install it? and how long should it be? obviously it needs to be treated. I figure they have to dig a hole and trenches anyways right?

RITAcp said:
ok then, what about if i buy a 4x4 post would they use that? and would they install it? and how long should it be? obviously it needs to be treated. I figure they have to dig a hole and trenches anyways right?

Honestly I dont know.... if you do get a post it probably needs to be set in concrete... they would sink a pole about 4-6' down and a post... you dont want to dig that deep.

ShadowEKU said:
Honestly I dont know.... if you do get a post it probably needs to be set in concrete... they would sink a pole about 4-6' down and a post... you dont want to dig that deep.
ok thanks for all your help! I bet ill be back with questions later in the week on how to use certain features.

RITAcp said:
ok thanks for all your help! I bet ill be back with questions later in the week on how to use certain features.

no Problem at all... most of us are here for the following reasons:

To Learn

To Advise

To seek Help

I am 1 and 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts