Getting H25-500 on Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

muzicman82

Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Woodstown, NJ
Hi all,

I am an AV integrator, not a DirecTV installer. I have a commercial customer that just got 5x H25-500 boxes. They are interested in using the iPad or Android app to control these boxes over WiFi. I understand that since these boxes do not have Ethernet ports, I need the Cinema Connection Kit to bridge the coax (MoCA, right?).

Here are my questions...
  • If I install a WiFi router and connect the CCK, will this work to control the boxes over WiFi on the same LAN or does it need Internet service? As in, will the CCK and mobile apps work without Internet service on the WiFI? I have controlled other DirecTV boxes over Ethernet (without Internet) with Crestron control systems, so I imagine the app works the same way.
  • If not, how easy is it to get DirecTV to switch the boxes to some that have Ethernet?
  • Is there another way of getting the boxes on a LAN?
Thanks all!

Ok most of your information is correct but I'll probably edit this reply a few times to get all your questions.

You can use either a wifi bbdeca or a bbdeca to connect the boxes to your network. There was a post exactly like this in the installers forum a little while ago.

The app itself from directv needs internet to work and all your boxes need to be on the same wireless network the iPad or tablet connect to. The boxes don't so much need Internet as the pad.tablet will. The dtv app does use Internet to use the guide and some other features. I believe it was determined that all ip addresses point to directv.com over port 80 if that helps.

If not you can try 3rd party apps.

As far as switching the boxes back to h24s.... you would need a tech to do that as there is literally no way that directv can guarantee that you will receive that model ird.

On top of that once you have an order for a tech to come out you need to hope he has 5 24s on his van. If he doesn't then you just need to keep rescheduling till you get someone with access to 5. It sucks but that's the only way. We can't control the model of ird we get from the warehouse. And the warehouse just orders ird - ka/ku.... which could be any model. So it's all a crap shoot

When you get into the directv app for ios there is a setting to change for commercial configuration. It works really well and is pretty user friendly for a multiple receiver configuration.

You done a Dave and Busters yet kitty? 16 rack mounted H24s.

I absolutely hate sports bar chains... unless they literally pre-wired the entire system short of the dish AND pre-wired the drop to the roof for the dish... it usually doesn't pay enough for the amount of trouble and configuration needed.

I absolutely hate sports bar chains... unless they literally pre-wired the entire system short of the dish AND pre-wired the drop to the roof for the dish... it usually doesn't pay enough for the amount of trouble and configuration needed.

It's profitable from a retailer side of things.

The biggest issue is that they never want to pay for the right equipment.

I got a Hookah lounge that has like 15 HDTV's running off 3 HD boxes.

The idiot who installed this ended up getting 3 $20 game modulators and ran every off coax.

I go over there and we did another 3 TV's that where in a triangle configuration above one of the tables using an HD receiver and an HDMI splitter.

My setup looked good, the rest of his bar looked like crap.

Told the guy I could get him these HDMI to cat5 extenders and splitters. Each kit was $150 and could do up to 8 televisions.

I was going to charge him $650 for everything and the guy was too cheap to pay.

I don't get it. You spend atleast $10,000 on Tv's for your bar, and you got another $50,000 to renovate the place and you allow your tv's to look like crap because your too cheap to do things right.

Thanks for the info all. This particular client has a 15 year old Crestron system that they really don't want to replace, but are going to have to soon. That would be the easiest solution.

I did some Crestron programming for a few Buffalo Wild Wings and set up control of 12x H24's over IP through the Crestron touch panel. It shows channel name, program name, episode info, etc. It's really nice.

The iPad idea may be a long shot if the app needs Internet. There's a really long shot to get Internet on an AV network here.

Anyone have a clever way of getting 5x discrete channels of IR injected into one Coax?

Thanks for the info all. This particular client has a 15 year old Crestron system that they really don't want to replace, but are going to have to soon. That would be the easiest solution.

I did some Crestron programming for a few Buffalo Wild Wings and set up control of 12x H24's over IP through the Crestron touch panel. It shows channel name, program name, episode info, etc. It's really nice.

The iPad idea may be a long shot if the app needs Internet. There's a really long shot to get Internet on an AV network here.

Anyone have a clever way of getting 5x discrete channels of IR injected into one Coax?
You can do it with a wifi DECA if a wired connection is a problem.

Guys, to follow up on this, can I simply get a Cinema Connection Kit, connect that to an Ethernet network with Internet to inject Internet/Network to the H25-500's? My understanding is that DECA is built into the box?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts