Getting HD locals from another area

I'm still confused why i'd need another dish installed to get the "washington dc locals" when it looks like those channels are on sat. 61.5 which i already lock in quite well. If anyone has any info on how i can get the dc locals or another zip i could "move to" so i get the 4 networks in hd I'd really appreciate it. Thanks everyone!

Keep calling back, the first three CSR's I had said I had to install another dish and pay a service call, they said "the computer won't let me go farther until a tech installs a dish". I couldn't convince them otherwise, the fourth CSR listened to me, verified that I had what I needed and turned on the locals. You need 110 and 61.5 for DC

washington dc hd locals are definitely at 61.5 degrees. just tell them:

i have all the equipment i need, i have already moved all of our dish network receivers and dishes to our vacation home and i installed it myself with no difficulty. so everything is working great but i need my new local channels or else my wife won't be able to watch american idol and then there will be a domestic disturbance. so please just change my service address to my vacation home.

the whole phone call should take about 2 minutes.

This thread just blew my mind

I'm a transplanted chicagoan living in slinger, wisconsin, 30 miles NW of milwaukee. Can someone please tell me how/if i can sign up for Dish network and then "move" to chicago to get HD locals.

i am going to wait til feb 1st to sign up, as i'm told i can get a free 622 dish. if i want to do this, is there any specific equipment i have to ask for, such as a particular dish?

also, if i am considered by dish to be in the chicago market, do i get comcast sports--i think they get like half the cubs games, so it would be nice.

how to i find out if i'm in the flashlight area for chicago, or does that matter?

thank you very much for your help with this, i really appreciate it in advance. if this will work, it will end my deliberations of dish vs directv, since the only reason i'd consider going with directv is for the sunday ticket, which i only want for bears games.

Need Important Information

Dish is coming tomorrow to install a Dish 1000+ and an additional SD receiver........how long should I wait before I call and "move" to the market where I want to get my locals??? Since this order is in their system, do I need to hold off for a while or do they really care.....I'm afraid if I do the "move" to soon it would contradict the work order / ticket that was created on the existing install???? Any suggestions???

you can do it as soon as the installer leaves. the bottom line is that they just don't care. happy customers don't switch to cable.

how did you get them to bring you the dish 1000+ in tennessee?

also make sure that when the installer comes that he peaks the signal from 118 degrees using transponders 20 and 24. The programming you want (HD Saint Louis locas) originates from these two transponders.

Last edited:
I'm a transplanted chicagoan living in slinger, wisconsin, 30 miles NW of milwaukee. Can someone please tell me how/if i can sign up for Dish network and then "move" to chicago to get HD locals.

i am going to wait til feb 1st to sign up, as i'm told i can get a free 622 dish. if i want to do this, is there any specific equipment i have to ask for, such as a particular dish?

also, if i am considered by dish to be in the chicago market, do i get comcast sports--i think they get like half the cubs games, so it would be nice.

how to i find out if i'm in the flashlight area for chicago, or does that matter?

thank you very much for your help with this, i really appreciate it in advance. if this will work, it will end my deliberations of dish vs directv, since the only reason i'd consider going with directv is for the sunday ticket, which i only want for bears games.

129W is a big o' flashlight cover most of the US.

Copy and paste from: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/satmaps.htm

The shaded areas of the following map indicate where a Dish 1000 CANNOT be used. Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands are not shaded, but it is assumed this was an oversight. Click on the map to see full sized map.
http://ekb.dbstalk.com/pictures/Dish1000Exclusions.jpg

Does anyone know why the Denver NBC-HD is not on Dish Network as psnarula stated?

Most likely that network could not come to terms to sign a retransmission agreement. AKA..they wanted to much money and Dish didn't want to pass the charge on to the customer.

There's a lot of information in this thread that I'm trying to absorb. I haven't seen anyone mention Austin yet, though. I have a Dish 1000 and a 622 in north Austin. Can I receive HD locals for Houston at my location? I looked at the maps and they seemed to indicate that I couldn't, but a poster on another forum indicated that this was possible. So now I'm confused. Are Dallas and San Antonio also viable possibilities? Thanks in advance!

There's a lot of information in this thread that I'm trying to absorb. I haven't seen anyone mention Austin yet, though. I have a Dish 1000 and a 622 in north Austin. Can I receive HD locals for Houston at my location? I looked at the maps and they seemed to indicate that I couldn't, but a poster on another forum indicated that this was possible. So now I'm confused. Are Dallas and San Antonio also viable possibilities? Thanks in advance!

The spotbeam maps are pretty accurate at:
http://ekb.dbstalk.com/satmaps.htm

As I am a HD prgramming noob any help would be much appreciated. If I were to "move" from Ruston, Louisiana to another area, which area would I be able to pick up HD affiliates in time for the Superbowl? I temporarily moved to Dallas but the HD affiliates didnt come in so I need to "move" again soon but I'm just not sure where I should move.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts